Performance-shop.com

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning a Garage Reno

Thanks

The wood is actually in really decent shape, being old hand cut Douglas Fir. Might not look that way from the dim pics from sunset, but they are. So being naturally inclined to restore all the things, I was initially inclined to try.

Biggest factor is going to be the condition of the beams its resting on. If they're old (IE >40 years) then it's not worth it; if there are beams sitting on a frost wall, so much the better but it has to be in spec as well.

Most likely outcome is that we're going to do just enough work to get me through a winter and build a better shop later.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll update as things progress.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

Thanks

Found this today. While looking for cheap wood chippers, oddly enough. Comments, opinions and experiences are welcome. I figure total cost should come in around $10k, but if you have something better suited, by all means let me know!

Biggest issue I can see is heating, or more specifically... heat loss. I'd probably opt for crane/rig pads for a floor/foundation to keep costs down.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-ind...channelId=1101

uncleweinerwholesale-40x40-shop-$_28.JPGuncleweinerwholesale-40x40-shop-$_29.JPGuncleweinerwholesale-40x40-shop-$_30.JPG
    Last edited by pry4sno; August 16th, 2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: add pics

Thanks

Have one at my storage yard, it's ok to keep stuff dry (besides for water coming in at ground level) but no comparison to an actual shop/garage. Loud as hell to be inside in the wind, no light, no floor, etc. Rig mat floor might be ok if you spend a ton of time making sure they are perfectly level and no lips, but no guarantees there on used ones not being twisted. If you do decide to do it, I would just get a normal one, no sea cans on each side. Ritchie Bro's has plenty of them at most of their sales.

IMO these are ok for storage, or a temporary solution. If you plan on being there long term, build an actual shop/garage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suladas View Post
    Loud as hell to be inside in the wind, no light, no floor, etc. Rig mat floor might be ok if you spend a ton of time making sure they are perfectly level and no lips ... Ritchie Bro's has plenty of them at most of their sales.
    Excellent points, thanks for contributing.

Thanks

All it would take for someone to break in is a box cutter

Thanks

Considered that already.

I'm far enough away and we both work full time in the city it wouldn't be difficult to do so if motivated. Have a truck to haul away my possessions? Drive it through the garage door. Not that ballsy? Break a window. Et cetera. If someone wants in... they're getting in, house included. Locked doors aren't much of a deterrent to those who are hell-bent on stealing your shit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 782 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pry4sno View Post
    Considered that already.

I'm far enough away and we both work full time in the city it wouldn't be difficult to do so if motivated. Have a truck to haul away my possessions? Drive it through the garage door. Not that ballsy? Break a window. Et cetera. If someone wants in... they're getting in, house included. Locked doors aren't much of a deterrent to those who are hell-bent on stealing your shit.
    My neighbor had one and someone slashed it open JUST to take a lil peek inside and see if there was anything good...
    Something to also consider.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 804 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by md. View Post
    All it would take for someone to break in is a box cutter
    Somebody said the same thing about about roll-up tonneau covers for trucks.

I've got one, everybody I know has one, millions of strangers trucks I see every day have them...

I've never seen or heard of one getting slashed.

If people are going to break in, they're going to break it, soft tonneau, hard tonneau, garden shed, brick wall garage, house, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.