Auto Obsessed

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ChumpCar Castrol Aug 5-6, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bung View Post
    Would anyone be willing to post a pic/scan of their points sheet? Would like to see some real data, not just the forms I find on chumpcar.com
    A lot of points and price changes this year. My guess would be that nearly everyone will be recalculating point fresh this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bung View Post
    Would anyone be willing to post a pic/scan of their points sheet? Would like to see some real data, not just the forms I find on chumpcar.com
    Indeed points have changed this year. Also cars in impound will now have their tech sheet posted on the vehicle so everything is up for inspection. I can post mine but it probably will not do you much good. If you want to post your specific questions about any valuations of vehicle or items I can help you on here or PM.

I have been racing ChumpCar since 2011 and 22 race weekends to date so I am up to date with any rule changes.

Well, I didn't have specific questions, I checked out the site and one of the charts and for example my stock 2003 civic sir is 400points or so, with only probably 150hp (not that I would ever tear it down and do this because it's still in great condition for DD). Whereas, it sounds to me like guys take 90s cars and drop in power/parts and keep under 500? But I was just curious to see some examples for fun, and to see if people purposefully go over and take a penalty. Was just thinking some of those numbers/sheets might provide more information, examples, and visibility into the sport It seems like there could be such a variety too, but do people tend to go in similar directions or use similar platforms as a whole (for support/parts)?

Hp is not the only factor to consider when selecting a car, weight and handling are two other big factors for racing a road course. There are many other smaller factors that have an effect as well like aero, frontal area, RWD, FWD, AWD, weight bias, limited slip, etc, etc.

The VPI table attempts to balance all of that as a starting point then it is up to you to make the most of the remaining points. Then there is also the engine swap option, enter your car, proposed swap hp, and it spits out your new value. As far as combinations go there is everything under the sun that you can think of and then some. You can even add a turbo...

You can sit two of the same model side by side and they will be different if built by two different teams. One team may feel there is enough hp and wants to maximize handling while the other team may think handling is pretty good, may spend some points on handling, then spend the rest on more hp. How you build a car is up to the team.
    Last edited by Ron_e; January 15th, 2017 at 09:17 PM.

Also consider which track(s) your racing at. HP is important at some, Castrol is more of a handling track.
    Super 8 Motorsports
    1990 Mitsu Eclipse Chump Car
    1984 Porsche 944 NASCC car
    Chevette ice racers
    Al