Track Junkies

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle accessories legality

Default Motorcycle accessories legality

I tried looking in alberta queen's printer but I could not find proper location for the license plate on motorcycles

Harley Davidson has an OEM rear chopped fender with a license plate side mount relocation kit.

I have read that brake lamps must either be synmetrical on both sides
    or
    vertically center mounted on the motorcycle, which the kit complies with.

The license plate holder that comes with it is left side mounted and has its own light.

I am unsure if this is legal. Can someone shine a light upon this concern and paste a section of it
    from a reliable source? Thank you.

I can't find a section on plate placement, I think as long as the plate is visible to an officer following you and to photo radar/red light cameras, then you're good. And it has a plate light that properly lights it up.

I'm not sure on a "sideways" plate, I've heard mixed reports on that, on a bike anyhow. I spun my trailer plate 90 degrees, and riveted to the fender, and I asked an RCMP buddy if it was illegal, with the explanation that snow in the winter almost ripped it off, and he said it was fine.

As to the symmetrical tail lights, that's more for brake/signal lights, so you don't confuse traffic behind you. Example if you had the left signal light further out to where say the end of the plate was and on the same horizontal plane, on the center of the bike you have your tail/brake light, then directly to the right of that your right signal. Given that some bikes the rear signals are also lit up and marker lights that could give somebody behind you on the highway thoughts that you're a car much further a head with a burnt out tail light.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNeonRacer View Post
    I can't find a section on plate placement, I think as long as the plate is visible to an officer following you and to photo radar/red light cameras, then you're good. And it has a plate light that properly lights it up.

I'm not sure on a "sideways" plate, I've heard mixed reports on that, on a bike anyhow. I spun my trailer plate 90 degrees, and riveted to the fender, and I asked an RCMP buddy if it was illegal, with the explanation that snow in the winter almost ripped it off, and he said it was fine.

As to the symmetrical tail lights, that's more for brake/signal lights, so you don't confuse traffic behind you. Example if you had the left signal light further out to where say the end of the plate was and on the same horizontal plane, on the center of the bike you have your tail/brake light, then directly to the right of that your right signal. Given that some bikes the rear signals are also lit up and marker lights that could give somebody behind you on the highway thoughts that you're a car much further a head with a burnt out tail light.
    Thank you. I will probably go to a nearby police station to clarify the license plate further. I don't want to spend time and money on a part and end up removing it just because its illegal. Thanks again!

Query more than 1 officer/police station. I went in to report an accident and the "South" division on 51ave and 97St pulled up UofA driving course best practices and quoted that as law, when the law was nothing even close. I've had an officer tell me fog lights were illegal. 'Nother cop told me white front signal lights were illegal.

Really, unless you can talk to a traffic court judge, it'll be hit and miss.

Since we're talk motos...

Are bikes required to have rear reflectors on either side of the license plate? My tidy tail doesn't have them but I could find a way if I had to.
    1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport 4x4
    2016 Yamaha FZ-09

Quote Originally Posted by Hawx View Post

Are bikes required to have rear reflectors on either side of the license plate? My tidy tail doesn't have them but I could find a way if I had to.
    I've been told "Required" but I'm not an authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawx View Post

Not too sure but a friend of mine got pulled over while we were cruising on whyte. He was charged $150 for every missing reflector. Total? $600.

Yes, you need the front and rear side facing reflectors, and I think the rear facing as well(mine is built into the brake light)

If that's the case I'll stick some reflector screws on my plate and buy some brackets for the sides.
    1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport 4x4
    2016 Yamaha FZ-09