Raczer

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 78 C10 - work budget race truck turned daily driver something or the other.....

Thanks

Okay, so at this point, we're dam near july 22. A day or two. I finally get this thing back to a running state. My tuner guy comes over, he gets rid of the vats, mild base tune. It runs!! woohoo! I hook up my oil pressure gauge, only 20 psi.... odd... pull the line off, and just air coming out. Oh great....

It is 1 day before this truck needs to get out of here, and I have no oil pressure. On top of that, I had a massive coolant leak at the water pump. Weep hole...

I had a lot going on at this time. I was unemployed, my car tent that I had for 2 years that I loved to death was being torn down, and my project truck turned daily driver that I needed to find a new job, now had no oil pressure.

Bad things always come in 3's it seems....

But, like all struggles, there is usually a solution. I found a good water pump from a friend for cheap enough. I decided to go on a wim and pull the pan off the truck quickly. Pan off, pick up off. The o-ring didn't look horrible, however it was worn a bit. Guess I should have changed that one.

New o ring...

Thankfully, it fixed my problem. 50 lbs at idle! I had a couple friends come over and we unloaded the entire tent in one trip. I brought everything to it's new home. The truck made it's first voyage over 40km without one hiccup even fully loaded!

After all that chaos, I took a few days to relax... gather thoughts... make some plans... etc.. I pretty much worked 12 hour days for weeks to get that truck running.

I decided I wanted to enjoy it for the rest of the summer. No paint job, etc. Just a nice square with an LS.

Started putting all the body together

From the End of july to the middle of sept, I simply drove the truck and enjoyed it. Other then a minor oil leak, it didn't give me 1 issue. It was really fun to take it to little meets around town and have all the old guys asking if it's an LS7.

Of course, here is a running video!

https://youtu.be/j-Y6z0Bu_Jk

So, middle of Sept.... started getting cold. I figure I got my time to enjoy it, now it's time to finish it....

The tent at it's new home, truck parked... for now. Updates shortly.

78 c-10

Thanks

Somewhere in the mess, I landed myself a job at the Mack truck dealership. In the end I can only be happy for being laid off when and how I was... perhaps things do happen for a reason...

With things settled down a bit in life (and some income lol), it was time to get back to working on this, and ultimately getting it back on the road in complete condition.

Started with, body parts removal, glass removal, cab lights, etc.

Getting rid of everything I don't want.

Removed the dash...

What a mess... this will be dealt with soon...

Ripped out all the wiring, finished most of the metal work on the rockers and floor pan. Gave it a coat of rockerguard for now.

78 c-10

Thanks

I decided to start getting the truck prepped for paint. Box removal....

Stuffed that into the tent for now.

This cab was rough, lots of dents and problems.

Shaved cargo and cab lights

Primered
    78 c-10

Thanks

With the cab somewhat straight, I figured it was a good time to work on the interior.

I always wanted to try this kind of stuff, and for a daily driver I saw no better time to try it.

This took a while, but wasn't bad overall. The plan is to cover up to the back window, doors, and roof.

Now the fun part... remember that wiring? I found myself humming and huhhing it for a couple of weeks actually.

I had options.... fix the old harness.. or buy a new one. Either way, I never liked how old vehicles were wired. Headlight switchs, no relays, ****ty gauge wiring, etc. It bugged me... enough to do this.

I figure something this simple, I could figure out and just wire to my needs... well, lets see then...

Started simple. We have 8g wire coming from battery junction. 1 goes to a battery hot fuse box, and the other goes to the ign switch, which then powers the key on fuse box. Simple enough....

Headlight relays, high and low beam

Running front lighting

Got all the turn signals, ambers, etc working for the front and back.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
    78 c-10

Thanks

I snagged these in the fall time for $200. SS rims, sweet! They will be black along with the rest of the truck. Also going to be mounting 33x12.5x15 tires.

Back to the wiring...

Starting to get a bit cluttered.....

Heater wiring

So with the wiring harness about 70% complete, it was time to change gears and get the box inside the garage for some work.

Started with the tail gate. Filled the dip, and also made a small lip spoiler.

sanding......

78 c-10

Thanks

Filled tail lights....

Worked the fenders

And I decided on these for tail lights. They will be mounted vertical, in the stock location.

78 c-10

Thanks

I mentioned that I picked up new doors for this thing along the way. Well I started getting to those, and they are not worth the time to save. Tons of a rust, layers and layers of bondo....

Scored these for $300. Brand new aftermarket, never mounted. Thank youuuuuuuu

Got the tail lights mounted today. They turned out pretty nice, I am happy with them. Not to mention, they are cheap and easily serviceable.

78 c-10

Thanks

Got the box primed

78 c-10

Thanks

Gave the box another run down after the coat of primer. Here is where she stands now.

I was happy enough with that, so back into the tent it went. Brought the truck into the car hole.

I bought a tach to fill one hole... now just need a nice speedo

Also bought a 4 channel amp, and remote starter.

Started on the tail pipes, 4" out in front of the rear tires. I will be doing electric cutouts, which will be piped into these tails.

78 c-10