Thanks

current wheels much better

Thanks

x4 for the current setup

Thanks

x5 for keeping your wheels.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 825 Posts

Agreed. Photochop looks terrible. Keep your existing setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

I do like the black on black, but I am ready for a switch up.

New wheels are in the garage with tires mounted. I went with All Seasons for that awkward time in between winter / spring and fall / winter. Plus I don't really plan on tracking this car.. my rear sway bar isn't even hooked up ATM. I'll leave the wheels as a surprise for when they finally get swapped on though. Hopefully early next week.. I'd like to keep all the meat on the Hakka 9's for the upcoming winter seasons.

It was nice-ish out yesterday so I tackled a few things..

- Amplified antenna for the radio. Picks up signal crystal clear now. The old antenna wire was severed.
    - Routed a USB cable for the stereo
    - Tried to figure out why my TR-7 module on the deck isn't working. No access to the audio controls at the moment.. you have to trick the car into thinking it's in park. I think the module itself is messed over.
    - Painted the bezel for the gauges and cleaned that up a bit.
    - Carved out the surround for around the dash cluster.

Next warm day I'll put the rest of the dash back together so it feels like a complete vehicle again. Wiring in a switch for the test connection - make it easier for when the tuner gets ahold of the vehicle.

The STi and the Forester both have different gauge surrounds. Neither work with the mix of the Forester dash and the STi cluster, so I improvised. Not a perfect fit - I may still modify the STi one to see if I like that better, but I have a feeling it'd end up worse. The other option is to get a rubber surround for the cut part to make up for any gaps in between - the more likely solution.

The other part was the surround for the Defi gauges. Still not perfect, but it's coming along. I may just give the measurements to a person with Autocad/3d printer to get them to print out what I want and go from there. It'd be nice to own one of those printers..

Changing all of the vacuum lines out today to try and narrow down that boost leak. Worst case.. they're all new lines and should be replaced anyways. The others are dry and cracking.
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    MMMMMMMmmmmm. Your voice makes me moist.

Thanks

I think.. I might know my problem in regards to boost. Looking for your thoughts.

Background - Had a local tuner take a look at my car. To increase boost, we made incremental changes to the wastegate. Found that when we went to high it would create this scream - AKA a release of pressure, it couldn't hold it.

SHOULD be boosting to 17.5lb, currently boosting at 15lb.

Talked with him tonight and I went out and took a look at the actuator rod / nut. The nut has no more threads to go for shortening the rod so that is maxed out for dialling boost.

So the thought is.. the diaphragm in the wastegate might be failing and can no longer hold boost.

One idea is to replace the actuator rod with a shortened rod. The other idea is to try and replace the spring for the actual wastegate.

Thoughts?

Thanks

sounds like your diaphram is failing, its a wear and tear item which would make sense, couldnt you just change the spring/

Thanks

There's so little information out there for my turbo - I'd assume I could just replace the spring and the diaphragm, but getting the parts is another matter.

Turbosmart does make this https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...4psi-150mm-rod which may be the direction that I'm going.

I'm going to install the MBC this weekend and see if it gets to 17.5lb, in which case, I believe that shows that it is 100% the wastegate that's failing. If that's so, and I still can't find replacement parts, I'll order in that aftermarket wastegate.

Thanks

Switched up the wheels, I honestly love it. I realize a lot of people are for the murdered out look but after going full black out it's nice to have some colour.

To do:
    Change up caliper colour to red, white BREMBO logo.
    Repaint front bumper / 3M this time.
    Boost leak (Still have not spent time on this..)
    Tune
    Put interior back together

... start drawing up the plans for the next project. This is now a dependable daily driver, and I'd love to get in to another project car when the time is right. Honestly probably 5-7 years away but the plan is a father / son project. My boys name is William so I figure it's appropriate to build a custom Willy's.

Like so,