First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Hot Fozz

Thanks

So I developed an oil leak. Drove out to Fort Saskatchewan and home and noticed that I was leaving some residue everywhere I parked. And it was pretty significant - it had to be fixed.

I only touched two oil related components with the clutch change. The rear main seal and the oil pressure sensor. The pressure sensor is a 10 minute job so I looked into it and didn't see much... which meant the engine had to come out. Again.

Rear main seal looked dry though - clean as when I put it back together. Balls.

So I cleaned it up and put it back together with the hope that I could find the leak with it so clean.

Plus side, every time I do this now it gets better in one way or another. This time the wiring is tucked away nicely so nothing melts against the turbo.

Still working on the gauges. I'll be making a face, fiberglass and bondo'ing this together to make it look as factory as possible.

Drove around today - which is really nice with the oil pressure now hooked up to keep an eye on. Everything appears fine. I think what fixed it was the teflon tape around the pressure sensor, which is odd since I didn't see any oil there, but if it's fixed then I'm happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    MMMMMMMmmmmm. Your voice makes me moist.

Thanks

Wiring = hardest part of this entire swap, hands down.

By far the most I've researched something, looked at schematics hours on end and slowly pieced it together.

Like wiring in a sunroof - when the last vehicle didn't have a sunroof.

Current goal... get HVAC in this vehicle. Heat and fans that work... A/c will be wired in, but that can wait to be plumbed in for the spring.

The easiest way to get this to work rather than dicing and splicing I think is to strip back the entire harness and essentially have a harness dedicated to HVAC.

You can see how complex the Forester harness is in comparison to the previous Impreza in the schematics - a lot more automation with the Forester.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 792 Posts

Seriously... Fucking kudos. I definitely wouldn't have the patience for a project of this nature. What a massive undertaking. And you seem to handle setbacks extremely well.

I don't mind big projects, as long as everything goes well. haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

i agree, you take things very well, i would have either said fuck it, or taken it in somewhere and spent thousands of dollars on it

Thanks

Seriously... Fucking kudos. I definitely wouldn't have the patience for a project of this nature. What a massive undertaking. And you seem to handle setbacks extremely well.

I don't mind big projects, as long as everything goes well. haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyJames View Post
    i agree, you take things very well, i would have either said fuck it, or taken it in somewhere and spent thousands of dollars on it
    I've definitely had my moments of doubt - the further you get in though, the harder it is to back out. If I took this car to a shop now it would be a huge bill which I'd rather just not do. The less I spend on a mechanic, the more I have for future modifications or.. well, let's be honest, to spend on my newborn boy.

Huge progress for the wiring harness tonight.

The vehicle harness - I almost tried to sell this, it's a damn good thing I didn't. I still need to wire in my heated seats after this.

I wasn't sure how far I'd get in but the entire HVAC harness has been divorced from the vehicle harness.

Really I should be able to merge the few spots into the harness this weekend plug everything in and have a heater.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshP2002 View Post
    ....Really I should be able to merge the few spots into the harness this weekend plug everything in and have a heater.

Fingers crossed!
    And the family can get the kitchen table back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deeman View Post
    And the family can get the kitchen table back.
    But not quite yet..

First up, new rubber for the winter season.

Nokian Hakka 9's, studded. Should be a lot of fun!

Really procrastinating the wiring of the heater.. it's daunting. The current harness has maybe 14-18 wires, the one I'm putting in has roughly 30. The old HVAC was primarily mechanically driven - you adjust a knob, it pulls on a lever/gear and the change is made. The Forester is much more digital hence the extra wires. Motors make changes, and they require wires.. not as simple as you'd hope.

Here's my workstation

And the excel spreadsheet detailing where the wires need to go..

Hopefully get this done this weekend. I'd like a blower motor and some warmth. Nice enough driving around a second vehicle right now - but I want to be driving the Foz.

Thanks

Always the easiest to work on the car, electrical at least, with the dash out.

Also incredibly hard to get motivated working out in the garage right now when it's so cold. It's not insulated so it retains no heat - makes for a chilly time.

While I'm doing that I figured I'd get the carpet back in. Previous owner I'm pretty sure smoked in the car - so it was due for a good cleaning. Easiest place to clean it is definitely inside..

Still stained to a degree. Smells awesome, feels awesome. The floor mats will cover up anything too.

And well the dash was out..

Some decently heavy scratches. Had some shoe polish though that I thought I'd give a try.

Ended up turning out really well.

And last but not least I figured I'd try and figure out the heated seats. This harness carries a lot of the rear accessories - and also the heated seats.

And this is all that I pulled from it - crazy that the wiring for them is so simply. A positive and a negative need to be spliced in - done.

Thanks

Driving home one day I hear "PLUNK" and then scraping. Pull over, hop out and my front passenger rotor was rubbing against the wheel - one bolt was gone to the hub.

Get back home and jack it up..

Pulled off the caliper.

Already beaten up.

You can see the threads are basically non-existant. Common problem apparently with the brembos, the threads aren't forever.

Thankfully after a bunch of reading there are products to fix this.

Option 1: Tap it for a larger diameter bolt. Issue? It might strip out again one day, and you have to drill a bigger hole in the assembly.

Option 2: Helicoils / Timeserts. Drill it out, tap it, insert and insert.. boom, done.

Went with option 2 - thankfully a fellow subie guy reached out to me and was able to help me out with that one. The kid itself isn't too expensive but you have to be deadly accurate otherwise the mounting can be off.

On that note too - looking forward to summer. Going to go more.. flashy.

Silver wheels and then get some powdercoating done. Calipers will be rebuilt and coated, intercooler, intake manifold and valve covers. A rich red/burgundy with a fleck to it. I don't want to scream "Look at me in my sweet wagon" but I do want it to be a bit more eye catching.

Black on black is getting boring.

Thoughts?