Wheels Plus

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F150 Headlight Retrofit

Thanks

Default F150 Headlight Retrofit

This forum is lacking automotive content, so I'll contribute.
    I've wanted to do a retrofit for years, but finally pulled the plug recently. Great learning experience, and lots of info available.

2011 F150,
    Morimoto D2S 4.0 projector, 35w morimoto bulbs and ballasts, 5500k
    Spare set of headlights was a must, luckily found a set in great shape.

The whole oven method can be scary, way easier to melt shit than I thought, more on that later.

Forgot to take out the screw holding the lens, so I cracked the bezel, or trim piece prying it open.

nothing a little JB Weld won't fix. Shape of the trim made it hard to hold in, so electrical tape was somewhat holding it together while curing.

I used the nut and bolt method to mount the projector to the reflector

Aiming was challenging, since I live in an apartment, had the light on the kitchen counter, aiming into the bathroom lol

I'm a man of simple taste, So all black errythin. The chrome comes off easy with oven cleaner.

Taped up the lens to the housing for testing, to see if my kitchen aiming is on par...it wasn't

kinda looks good, but the cut off lines are so sharp, you can see that the passenger side is rotated CCW, and it also points a little to the left. so at some distance, the projector "step" cross eachother. Shitty part is that I already JB welded the nuts on the reflector, So I took it all apart, new bolts, and redid aiming. It was a lot of back and fourth between the kitchen and installing it on the truck. Good thing is, I can do it in minutes now haha

This is what the kitchen table looked like a lot of the time, wife wasn't too happy. I need a garage.

At this point, I'm ready to put everything back together. I put the housing in the oven to soften it up, and fix up the channel for the lens to sit in, and melted it lol. it melted quick. Used less temp than suggested, and less time, but still just melted. luckily, on the Alberta F150 forum, asked for a headlight, and got one within an hour, for $25. damaged, but worked for me. Lucky

Finally done, and happy about it.
    Got everything From TheRetrofitSource, and they were great to deal with. Had a faulty igniter, and they sent another one pretty quick, I'll definitely deal with them again. Huge difference between the stock output and the retro. I'd recommend anyone to try it, definitely doable with so much information out there.

Thanks

I'll post more output shots later.
    shaky hands while driving, but you get the idea

Last edited by seevik; March 15th, 2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added pics

Thanks

Looks good, i would suggest getting a set of husky protective film it's like a screen cover for yer headlights.

I've been running a set with aftermarket lights on my Ranger for the past three years (with no clouding or fading) and they have worked great.

Bit of a PITA to install (i rage quit on the install of mine a couple of times) but they serve their purpose very well.

Thanks

looks good. what did you pay to do it vs the cost off the f150 lights that come from factory with projectors. When i have done work inside my head light i dont trust the oven method. heat gun works perfectly fine.

Thanks

Thanks Markous, I'll consider it

It cost about as much as a used set of those headlights, maybe a little less considering I'd have to get a harness too. I think I've seen those go for $650+. I'd love to get my hands on a factory projector set, and run the C-bar switchback. But I do have better output than those.
    I'll strongly consider the heat gun next time, not a fan of doing it in the oven. not much room for mistakes

Thanks

Great job man, but how close did you get to that concrete post!!!

Thanks

Great post!

Makes me wanna tear mine apart for the second time lol.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrightWhite View Post
    Great post!

Makes me wanna tear mine apart for the second time lol.
    I'm kind of itching to do more. Parts aren't cheap though

Quote Originally Posted by myron View Post
    Great job man, but how close did you get to that concrete post!!!
    Lol its always within 6 inches, closer in those pics. I have those massive fenders to protect the truck though

Thanks

Did you have to do any cutting or trimming to get your Projector to fit? or was it small enough to fit right in?

Been thinking about doing this on one of my cars. Adding a proper set of HIDs and projectors really adds some value to a cheaper car haha.