Raczer

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F150 Headlight Retrofit

Thanks

I should do a thread for my bike/truck retrofit.. The bike I didn't have to cut at all, but it was an H4 bulbs. The ram I had to make the hole bigger as it was a 9005/9006.

1 Motomoto Mini 2 D2S 3" projector with a 35W hid in it on my bike put out more usable light than my ram did with stock halogen lows, hi's, and fogs on... so 6 bulbs.

In the city kind of a moot point, but I did the bike when I was out in Deer country (rural alberta, with a lot of night highway riding). The truck I planned and bought the parts when I was out there, but didn't do it til last summer, right before I left for a drive down to Seattle, and a second trip to San Diego (a lot of night driving).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 825 Posts

Personally, I've always used method "A" for aiming my projectors.

I don't like method "C" because the reflection of your lights on windows, other vehicles bumpers, walls, etc... always looks like your lights are misaligned. Even though they're technically fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MZSPD View Post
    Did you have to do any cutting or trimming to get your Projector to fit? or was it small enough to fit right in?

Been thinking about doing this on one of my cars. Adding a proper set of HIDs and projectors really adds some value to a cheaper car haha.
    I attempted the threaded shaft method, just screwing it in the bulb hole with minimal trimming, but cut out too much right away, so I did the nut and bolt method, and kept cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post

Personally, I've always used method "A" for aiming my projectors.

I don't like method "C" because the reflection of your lights on windows, other vehicles bumpers, walls, etc... always looks like your lights are misaligned. Even though they're technically fine.
    I didn't even know people line up any different than C. In the few months of constantly reading up on retrofits, nobody ever lined up any other way than the C method. Looking at the "A", top line of passenger projector would definitely be blinding the passenger mirror in car in front, at a light I would think, no?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNeonRacer View Post
    I should do a thread for my bike/truck retrofit.. The bike I didn't have to cut at all, but it was an H4 bulbs. The ram I had to make the hole bigger as it was a 9005/9006.

1 Motomoto Mini 2 D2S 3" projector with a 35W hid in it on my bike put out more usable light than my ram did with stock halogen lows, hi's, and fogs on... so 6 bulbs.

In the city kind of a moot point, but I did the bike when I was out in Deer country (rural alberta, with a lot of night highway riding). The truck I planned and bought the parts when I was out there, but didn't do it til last summer, right before I left for a drive down to Seattle, and a second trip to San Diego (a lot of night driving).
    d2s 2.0 in the bike? how long have you had it, any issues? I'm considering a retro in my street bike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seevik View Post
    I attempted the threaded shaft method, just screwing it in the bulb hole with minimal trimming, but cut out too much right away, so I did the nut and bolt method, and kept cutting.

I didn't even know people line up any different than C. In the few months of constantly reading up on retrofits, nobody ever lined up any other way than the C method. Looking at the "A", top line of passenger projector would definitely be blinding the passenger mirror in car in front, at a light I would think, no?

d2s 2.0 in the bike? how long have you had it, any issues? I'm considering a retro in my street bike.
    1. Shaft mounting.. on my Ram.. I used the ez switch dremel cut off wheel like a drill.. it was a pita to start.. but it's the right diameter with a little wiggle for alignment.

2. I aimed for C, but kinda have B.

3. I can't recall if it's a 1.0 or 2.0. It's the one with the flip down shade not the tilt one. I bought the stuff May 2013, works good. My bike turns on the headlight as soon as you turn on the key, then the light flashes as you start it, so I made a relay with a diode so I turn the bike on, then start it, I had a momentary on switch I hit to turn on my light, then I found out hitting the flash to pass to trigger high-beam turns it on to. I put on a LED halo, so I just run that during the day, and then turn on the HID when I need it. The relay automatically resets when I turn off the bike. The only "issue" is turning corners, with the cutoff the inside corner is dark, so I use my flash to pass to hit high beam when I need to see.

Thanks

Here's a teaser of my bike (I really didn't take many pictures during the process)
    20130720_174616.jpg

And my truck.. The two white strips are switchback, so the strips and the halo are my DRLs (one halo died, and the other is failing, so once bike season hits and I can park the truck for 24hours I'm removing them, the halo's are just white) The signal is a switchback as well. I have Osram 6000K CBI bulbs for the projector high and low, then I have plug'n'pray 6000K in the stock hibeam location and 3200K in the fogs.
    IMG_20160821_205750.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seevik View Post
    I guess it depends on what type of vehicle is behind, and in front.

A giant jacked up pickup behind a little tiny car? Maybe.

A little tiny car behind a big jacked up truck? Nope.

This was in my 300c, anyways, and I think the projectors themselves were roughly 27" off the ground, and I aimed the middle section at 25" and I never had any complaints.

It's more about the shape of the step up, than the actual height of the beam, for me anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.