Westside Mitsubishi

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimal Studs in Garage Wall?

Usually the wall between garage has plywood or osb board. maybe a cheap stud finder that can't catch trough the osb? There has to be studs, most likely at 16", but I've seen them wider too, up to 2'.

Do you have access to that wall from inside the house? Try to locate the studs from there. There is definitely some sort of studs in the wall. There is no way there is a full sheet of plywood/OSB or whatever they used without some support in it.

No not flimsy at all. Just makes it super hard to attach cabinets to a stud. The thing is I checked for horizontal studs as well and couldn't find anything.

I guess I will have to use drywall anchors, but I am actually confused on wtf is up with this wall.

It shares a closet with the interior of the house and a washroom.

Drywall anchors suck and if you have any weight in the cabinets it's sure to fail over time.

If it's not flimsy and you cant find studs then like seevik said, there's probably plywood behind it.

Why not drill a half inch hole behind the future cabinet and see what's there? If it's half inch or bigger plywood you should be fine to throw the cabinet up over that, just add a few screws.
    Last edited by BrightWhite; April 8th, 2017 at 09:50 PM.

Ya I'll probably open up the wall somehow and fish my camera in there.

Seevik I tried 3 different stud finders and have that really good one from Costco. The others are ~$60 ones and they read the same.

Krmit that's the next step. Check for studs from inside the house.

Have you tried the old and true method of just tapping the wall repeatedly with a hammer out something and listening for change in sound.

Yup. No change.

I've gone through the same shit.

On one wall, things seemed normal (16" studs). Then, on a different wall, it's like they played tetris with the studs -a small sqaure'ish area on the wall seemed to not have studs at all.

Hope your garage walls aren't painted. Tearing apart the walls would be such a PITA just to get a peak at things. I know sometimes the drywall is doubled up as well so the stud finder won't find shit.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Any light switches or receptacles on that wall? take off the cover and look if you can see how they're mounted.. you should be able to tell which side the stud is on...

Do you have stairs from the garage up into the house? How high up is the concrete foundation? It's possible it's just barely framed purely for extra insulation and there's another wall behind that wall.

Doubled up drywall would make sense as it would be a fire barrier to give the house more time should the garage or contents in the garage go up in flames.