Performance-shop.com

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 28 to 36 of 66

Thread: Are forums dying?

  1. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,059
    Thanks
    395
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 912 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    I think it was late in 2013 that the increased moderation came in. I don't know the numbers, but it only recently (within last few months) feels noticeably quieter. From what iAvery says, it sounds like the crackBook and InstaTard pages have gained a lot of traction, so perhaps it's just a shift.
    As for the pre-2013 forum... I'm not certain that everyone would've continued for another few years. How long can people really think "maybe it's becuz your GAY" being the first answer to every question ever posted in any section is funny? It's hilarious for awhile, but I don't think it has the staying power of 3+ years, thread after thread after thread, every time a person opens New Posts it's just a pile of inside jokes and retarded insults.
    Consider my350Z.com as an example. It seems like it's just five friends that speak a secret language to each other in Off Topic and the hilarious, angry guys don't even bother responding to the "I'm gonna put a turbo in for $2k and race for pinks" threads, anymore. There was no increase in moderation, there.
    This thread is about forums in general and it does definitely seem like they are losing out to Facebook, which is too bad because as others have said, searching on Facebook pages is terrible compared to forums and there are many other drawbacks.

    My350z died because the 350z is an irrelevant unpopular platform now. People move on to better things.

  2. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,059
    Thanks
    395
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 912 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrightWhite View Post
    Bandwagon much???

    There were no bans unless multiple warnings were given.

    Really? I recall getting a ban for simply calling out one Mod in particular for doing some asinine things in the marketplace forums and never giving any sort of explanation. Some simple clarification would've solved everything. But no warning or nothing, just ban. And then upon reinstatement it said "Zhao 2.0" under my username which is still there and nobody has ever owned up to.

    Obviously the heavy moderation came at request of the site owners, which is completely their prerogative. But they appointed a few pretty hypocritical cunts as some of the mods. (This statement isn't directed towards you btw, separate issue from above)

  3. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,938
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 208 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
    Really?
    History is written by the victors. - Winston Churchill
    1987 951 - M193 Version for Japan

    2015 Jeep Wrangler
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD

    1819398 1820636 1820914 1821955 1827550 1832642 1834167 1834511 1843685 1845926 1846867 1858945 1870608

  4. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,705
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 766 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
    My350z died because the 350z is an irrelevant unpopular platform now. People move on to better things.
    That's completely false. The only way that could possibly be true was if that forum was exclusively dedicated to highly modifying Z33's. And, of course, it is not. Yes, a portion of it had people doing extreme things, just like any model-based forum. There are people doing crazy shit to RX350's on the Lexus forum, but that doesn't mean that the majority of its users are.
    my350z is simply a forum based on a model of car that lots and lots of people own, but when it comes time to ask questions about how to fix tire feathering, synchro gears, or window motors, people are looking elsewhere and it's not because their Admins started banning all of the members that like to stir shit up.

  5. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iAvery View Post
    @Carmodity has hit it on the head, forums are becoming more attackable which detracts peoples interest if it can't be fixed rather quickly which comes onto the site owners that volunteer time. Facebook and other large social media pages have dedicated individuals in adapting to security.

    The other issues is the populous, 780Tuners is more towards the local demographic which is its own battle compared to sites that are general info that is north american or in most cases of popular forums is even more able with outside the country growth. I personally enjoy the structure of the forums also.
    Yea, I wasn't blaming you or anyone, it's the nature of the modern day Internet. It evolves at a rapid pace, and it's nearly impossible for vBullentin forum providers to stay ahead, let alone the volunteers that try to keep everything in line. I've noticed this trend with many other forums as well.

    Small independent platforms like this versus FACEBOOK/INSTA/ETC, who have more people on their security teams than this forum currently has registered users online right now.



    Quote Originally Posted by specialzed View Post
    Kids coming here with honest questions about vehicles that they had just bought/planned to buy would repeatedly be told to either search for their answer or treated like they were idiots by all the old heads here with their ridiculously harsh ways of giving advice. People also got banned for their opinions a lot too which makes no sense seeing as this is a discussion forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izerous View Post
    I think there is also a budget difference... with how finances have changed for a lot of people with the drop that occurred in the oilfield there was a lot of project cars that kind of just disappeared.
    ^ I believe these two comments are accurate, along with the JDM scene slowing down due to the relative price of Yen these days (1:80 vs 1:120yen of a decade ago).

  6. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,059
    Thanks
    395
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 912 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    That's completely false. The only way that could possibly be true was if that forum was exclusively dedicated to highly modifying Z33's. And, of course, it is not. Yes, a portion of it had people doing extreme things, just like any model-based forum. There are people doing crazy shit to RX350's on the Lexus forum, but that doesn't mean that the majority of its users are.
    my350z is simply a forum based on a model of car that lots and lots of people own, but when it comes time to ask questions about how to fix tire feathering, synchro gears, or window motors, people are looking elsewhere and it's not because their Admins started banning all of the members that like to stir shit up.

    Not sure how any of that relates to what I said. But ok. Cool story.

  7. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
    Really? I recall getting a ban for simply calling out one Mod in particular for doing some asinine things in the marketplace forums and never giving any sort of explanation. Some simple clarification would've solved everything. But no warning or nothing, just ban. And then upon reinstatement it said "Zhao 2.0" under my username which is still there and nobody has ever owned up to.

    Obviously the heavy moderation came at request of the site owners, which is completely their prerogative. But they appointed a few pretty hypocritical cunts as some of the mods. (This statement isn't directed towards you btw, separate issue from above)
    Its pretty funny when a lot of us current users have ludicrous stories of why we were previously banned (myself included) and then mods come out and try to defend the bans. When almost everyone from those days has been banned previously that's when you know you had a problem guys. But its ok its like being an alcoholic, nobody wants to admit it.

    P.S I always wondered why it said that under your name, not exactly an endorsement i'd want lol.

  8. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,636
    Thanks
    4,340
    Thanked 1,207 Times in 792 Posts

    Default

    I don't know... I think zhao is pretty cool. And I think Vik is pretty cool. Where's the problem?

    They can also both type in complete sentences/paragraphs. Although I believe Vik has better grammar.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

  9. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,938
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 208 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    srsly zhao iz supa kewl & writes rly gr8
    1987 951 - M193 Version for Japan

    2015 Jeep Wrangler
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD

    1819398 1820636 1820914 1821955 1827550 1832642 1834167 1834511 1843685 1845926 1846867 1858945 1870608

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •