First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are forums dying?

The big forums have just turned into databases of info and new threads are just responded to with "use the search function". That and vendors marketing their new products. Which is fine i guess given that there is so much info.

I hate facebook with a passion. I hate how many notifications you get about things you don't care about which is why i would never leave a forum to join the equivalent facebook group. I like being able to click "new posts" and view at my leisure which threads I care about have been updated. I also like being able to rip on noobs and other general retards but that is not okay anymore i don't think.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Really depends on a few things, firstly the direction the owners/mods will take with it. This place first started dying years ago when Ads were aggressively placed in places like the first post of every single thread. Plus the constant hacking and virus/malware redirects that were never rectified in a timely manor. It sways people like me towards safer places and forums.

The lack of upgrading to modern security measures such as HTTPS is what bothers me most. I've told Mark/Avery a couple months ago how to upgrade that (for free) using LetsEncrypt, but yet nothing happens. Who really wants their ISP/employers to be able to see your username and post contents, when it can easily be avoided with a secure site.

IMO, when monetization comes before the user experience and security, it becomes a let down, and the forums will start dying naturally while other places will thrive. Survival of the fittest I suppose.

Another issue is that a lot of people have simply grown up from the Fast and Furious era, started families, and retired from back when the scene was more underground, where we used to set up cruises every weekend. Times change. Technologies change. People change.

Social media in general has taken attention away from forums in general. People want immediate needs and can not only go on facebook, but on instagram and find cars or similar issues with hastags, etc.. Heck the instagram of 780Tuners has over 10k follows now.

@Carmodity has hit it on the head, forums are becoming more attackable which detracts peoples interest if it can't be fixed rather quickly which comes onto the site owners that volunteer time. Facebook and other large social media pages have dedicated individuals in adapting to security.

The other issues is the populous, 780Tuners is more towards the local demographic which is its own battle compared to sites that are general info that is north american or in most cases of popular forums is even more able with outside the country growth. I personally enjoy the structure of the forums also.
    summer toy: 2003 Z33

I honestly think the mods / ban hammer killed this forum. Back in the day this place was way more relaxed. I didn't grow out of cars, I just don't come here or post much anymore because this place is a lot less fun than it used to be. When people can get banned because they post a roflcopter then you know this place takes its self way to seriously.

Expecting the ban hammer in 3...2...1....
    R324 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by Willis View Post
    I honestly think the mods / ban hammer killed this forum. Back in the day this place was way more relaxed. I didn't grow out of cars, I just don't come here or post much anymore because this place is a lot less fun than it used to be. When people can get banned because they post a roflcopter then you know this place takes its self way to seriously.

Expecting the ban hammer in 3...2...1....
    Did some one say roflcopter?

i posted a pic of a hipster in a Mumford and sons ticket sale thread. banned.

Shit i use to live on this forum back in the day, i'm lucky if i stop by every 5 months now lol.
    Nissan 350z - 2010 Nissan Titan - 89 Nissan Cefiro

- xbox 360 : DRIFTwest

780Tuners just needs some crazy threads to happen to make it blow up globally like Beyond.ca did

The Claw (Skyline Stolen car)
    BeyondCSI (Finding stolen cars before cops do)
    RSX Hit N Run Thread

Kids coming here with honest questions about vehicles that they had just bought/planned to buy would repeatedly be told to either search for their answer or treated like they were idiots by all the old heads here with their ridiculously harsh ways of giving advice. People also got banned for their opinions a lot too which makes no sense seeing as this is a discussion forum. As of late this place has become a clubhouse for a few members that were able to conform and assimilate into the "brotherhood" and as such it is them that you see constantly posting on a fairly often basis.

I reject this brotherhood and I await the day this forum goes back to import/tuning centered discussion and away from truck/daily driver boredom. People have definitely grown up and as they have so have their tastes in vehicles (no more JDM, 90's imports unfortunately). Also it seems like we are getting less and less new members that are into these types of vehicles, I attribute this to them lurking first and seeing no recent discussion pertaining to their vehicles and perhaps maybe to the fast and furious movies taking the direction they have recently moving away from affordable tuned imports and turning to exotics, domestics, heavy artillery fighter planes military tanks? (I don't understand either).

I personally continue to frequent for the odd mechanical advice I might need here and there. These forums in particular are indeed dying but forums in general offer anonymity which is something Facebook cant offer so I don't see them dying as a whole anytime soon.