1UP

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: Anyone dislocated their patella before?

Default Anyone dislocated their patella before?

Hey guys, had an accident at work and dislocated my patella on saturday. It got reset that night and its fine now, Im stuck in a full leg brace for a week or so then have to wear a soft brace for the next 5-7 weeks. Has anyone on here had experience with this before. Im wondering about realistic rehab time to get back to 100% and if anyone has had continuing issues with their knee after the injury
    You see when you have an operational engine, it turns the wheels giving you the ability to run into shit. If your car ever had one of those you'd understand what I'm getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendarat View Post
    Hey guys, had an accident at work and dislocated my patella on saturday. It got reset that night and its fine now, Im stuck in a full leg brace for a week or so then have to wear a soft brace for the next 5-7 weeks. Has anyone on here had experience with this before. Im wondering about realistic rehab time to get back to 100% and if anyone has had continuing issues with their knee after the injury
    Not same issue, just a few thoughts related to knees...

My patellas (both knees) have been f'd since I was about 5-8 due to Osgood-Schlatter disease. Personally if there was no wear of the meniscus you're probably good. In my experience, when my knees swell in that area, about the only thing that works good is a TENS machine. Also, I don't know if your Dr. mentioned it, for the first bit I would recommend a cane, not so much to weight bare (I have to sometimes) but I find if my knees are acting up walking with a cane forces me to think about how I'm walking and not to twist my knee, or pivot on that leg.

Please please please open a WCB claim even if you are a little late submitting it. WCB can help get you physio and a ton of other stuff for little or no cost to you instead of using your health benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by NotZhao View Post
    Please please please open a WCB claim even if you are a little late submitting it. WCB can help get you physio and a ton of other stuff for little or no cost to you instead of using your health benefits.
    Oh I opened a WCB claim the next day and have already talked to them, they are paying me for this week off work, my braces and other associated costs. I had a follow up today and am back to work on Wednesday. Ill see how it goes but Im already out of the full leg brace and into one thats a soft brace that just keeps the knee cap in place. Overall this seems like a fairly easy comeback, although Im pissed I'm gonna miss the start of my baseball season cause no chance Im doing any athletics for at least a month still
    You see when you have an operational engine, it turns the wheels giving you the ability to run into shit. If your car ever had one of those you'd understand what I'm getting at.

All I can say is that short term pain equals long term gain. I rushed back into regular living after my dislocations and my knees have been absolutely fucked ever since. It starts to happen more often and with less force. I've honestly dislocated each of my knees, I'd estimate 40 times, because I didn't let them heal when they were first dislocated. There is almost nothing left holding them in. They pop out, I pop them back in myself. It's really actually quite fucked up.

Do your physio/rehab. Build your leg muscles, they're allll connected and help with holding your knee in place.

I haven't dislocated either of my knees in probably close to a year though.. so that's a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by 4thGenLude View Post
    All I can say is that short term pain equals long term gain. I rushed back into regular living after my dislocations and my knees have been absolutely fucked ever since. It starts to happen more often and with less force. I've honestly dislocated each of my knees, I'd estimate 40 times, because I didn't let them heal when they were first dislocated. There is almost nothing left holding them in. They pop out, I pop them back in myself. It's really actually quite fucked up.

Do your physio/rehab. Build your leg muscles, they're allll connected and help with holding your knee in place.

I haven't dislocated either of my knees in probably close to a year though.. so that's a nice bonus.
    Jesus dude. That blows.

Knee braces/wraps help?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.