Wheels Plus

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Laptop Options

Default Gaming Laptop Options

Hi all I'm thinking about buying a new laptop a with all the talk about lack of content and activity on the forum figured I might as well ask.
    I'm actually looking for two laptops kind of, one for myself and for a friend who is a little less techy.

I have multiple thoughts for myself, on one hand I don't play much as far as demanding games goes. Pretty much just a bit of world of tanks, which a GTX 1050 could probably hit 60fps on max setting, for reference my GTX 760 in my desktop hits around 60fps with max settings. There is talk of big graphic updates coming to the game so a bit of headroom might be nice.

On the other hand I plan on buying a VR set in the future and it would be nice to have something to drive that but the minimum would be a GTX 1070 though and that is a huge price bump.

I'm leaning towards something that would handle my current needs and worry about the future in the future. not sure between 17" and 15" though, my current laptop is a 17" and it works good for me.

My friend basically just wants the best laptop he can get for under 2000$, he games a bit and uses it as a media center. He said he just bought a 500gb SSD for his old laptop that he'd like to throw in this one but it looks like all the SSD's in current laptops are M.2

thoughts? Audiinprogress I'm looking at you lol
    #RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    So I don't know much about the brands but what would be the benefits of the gigabyte over say this MSI?
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX64768

I see the MSI has 120hz vs the 60hz IPS display on the gigabyte and a slightly different cpu but other wise seems spec'd out pretty much the same.

what is your thoughts on gigabyte vs MSI vs Asus etc.
    #RAM

17s are pretty hefty, you likely to just be plugging it into a TV/monitor anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by bung View Post
    17s are pretty hefty, you likely to just be plugging it into a TV/monitor anyways?
    No Work has me travelling around alot. this would be mainly for gaming in hotel/ camp rooms and it would also take over duty as a portable media storage device.
    I already play the same game on my old 17" laptop and even that seems small, not sure if i could game on a 15".

Although the portability of a 15" would be much nicer.
    #RAM

I've got nothing against MSI. Gigabyte is my personal favorite.

And if there were any current offerings from ASUS, I probably would have recommended that. But they're all "while supplies last" and out of stock.

120Hz? Who gives a shit?

The Gigabyte has a 7th-gen processor (2.8GH-3.8GHz), while the MSI has the previous 6th-gen processor (2.6GHz-3.6GHz).

The Gigabyte has DDR4-2400, the MSI has DDR4-2133.

The Gigabyte has a bigger/better battery.

The Gigabyte is just flat out newer and faster.

Plus those MSI's have a bunch of bad reviews (not just on the MemX site) about the power supplies being faulty, and other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    I've got nothing against MSI. Gigabyte is my personal favorite.

And if there were any current offerings from ASUS, I probably would have recommended that. But they're all "while supplies last" and out of stock.

120Hz? Who gives a shit?

The Gigabyte has a 7th-gen processor (2.8GH-3.8GHz), while the MSI has the previous 6th-gen processor (2.6GHz-3.6GHz).

The Gigabyte has DDR4-2400, the MSI has DDR4-2133.

The Gigabyte has a bigger/better battery.

The Gigabyte is just flat out newer and faster.

Plus those MSI's have a bunch of bad reviews (not just on the MemX site) about the power supplies being faulty, and other issues.
    Good to know about the msi's I thought they were a solid company.
    Would the CPU make much of a difference? It comes from the same processing and chipset so what are we talking like 5% better?

Are there any major things I should be looking at that mem express doesn't carry?
    #RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    Would the CPU make much of a difference? It comes from the same processing and chipset so what are we talking like 5% better?
    It is a generational difference, the produced so many of the old ones they learned from their mistakes and optimized things. A quick search suggests about a 10% overall performance gain. TDP appears to not have changed, but the non-overclocked supported memory speeds seem to have taken a jump which will also effect overall performance. Now if you would notice that or not depends on how hard you truly pushed either machine and typical game play it might be closer to a wash.

MSI
    16GB DDR4-2133 So-DIMM RAM (2x 8GB), 32GB Max

Gigabyte
    16GB DDR4-2400 RAM (1x 16GB), 2 slots, 32GB Max

Even though the MSI doesn't specify it is typically 2 slots on a laptop, so to upgrade the MSI you would need to replace both 8GB chips with 2x16GB chips, and the Gigabyte has an open slot for another 1x16GB chip. For gaming 32GB is beyond necessary, but with what I do it would play into the decision since it is an added cost.
    Model View Caffeine

There's $100 difference between the two laptops. I think it's worth it, for the Gigabyte.

It also has a versatile ODD/HDD bay. Which you may never use, but still a great option.

It also has HDMI 2.0 vs HDMI 1.4, etc, etc, etc. The chipset is the H175, instead of the H170.

You said, specifically, that you wanted something a little future-proof... Why buy the MSI that's already a year out of date?

To save $100?

You'll get 10% more performance, and 20% longer life, for 5% more money.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting a good deal, so... maybe if it was like... $500 cheaper.