Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsair CPU Liquid Cooler Exploded

Default Corsair CPU Liquid Cooler Exploded

My parents computer had one of the integrated corsair liquid cooling setups for the cpu, and apparently it exploded.

My father says he heard 3 pops and it tripped the outlet breaker.

I can't find any burnt contacts anywhere, cpu looks alright, liquid leaked all over the place.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Normally I'd tinker with it myself, but I have zero time. Anyone on the board able to fix it for $$$? How do I clean the liquid? Point a hair dryer at the case? The computer wont turn on at all now, dead mobo?

The last time I dealt with an issue like this... There ended up being a LOT of fried equipment.

Motherboard, 1 stick of ram, the video card. And I think the power supply was 'iffy' afterwards as well.

How old (approximately) is the PC? The biggest problem in a situation like this, is, if the CPU was higher-end ($400-$500) then it's probably worth fixing... BUT, depending on the age of the PC, you might have a hard time finding a board with a matching socket, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Check into their warranty. they have a 5 year warranty on the coolers themselves, and they will cover damages from leaks. my friend made a claim with them and had success getting the fried equipment replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanem1 View Post
    Check into their warranty. they have a 5 year warranty on the coolers themselves, and they will cover damages from leaks. my friend made a claim with them and had success getting the fried equipment replaced.
    That's awesome. Stuff like that can often be very painful.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanem1 View Post
    Yea, we didn't build it, bought it used. My parents were on a HP desktop from close to 10 years ago ( ) and I got so incredibly sick of their bitching. I found them a great deal on a computer (like $650). I7, 32gb of ram, GTX770, big SSD, etc etc. I told them they wouldn't have to get another computer for 10 years. I did not realize it had the crazy self-contained cpu cooler. No receipt = no warranty. They've had this computer for well over a year now.

Well, we tore apart the power supply, its toast, definitely shorted. Doesn't look like any other equipment fried, we'll find out once a new one is installed.
    *sigh*

Good luck. If it leaked down the board and onto the back of the videocard before finally dribbling into the power supply... As I said, you've likely got more fried components.

I have been doing full custom loops since about 2003, I avoid those self contained loops like the plague. I have had a few people bring me their leaked systems... pops and magical blue smoke from the power supply usually results in collateral damage. The power supply surges and can damage just about everything that is connected to it as Audi has already mentioned.
    Model View Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Good luck. If it leaked down the board and onto the back of the videocard before finally dribbling into the power supply... As I said, you've likely got more fried components.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izerous View Post
    I have been doing full custom loops since about 2003, I avoid those self contained loops like the plague. I have had a few people bring me their leaked systems... pops and magical blue smoke from the power supply usually results in collateral damage. The power supply surges and can damage just about everything that is connected to it as Audi has already mentioned.
    Thanks guys I think the best course of action is probably to find a dirt cheap desktop that is the right socket for the I7 and associated parts and just plop that stuff in. But we'll try out a power supply first and pray.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    Thanks guys I think the best course of action is probably to find a dirt cheap desktop that is the right socket for the I7 and associated parts and just plop that stuff in. But we'll try out a power supply first and pray.
    You never did mention which generation I7?