Ming Shine

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Section 51(d) - Operating vehicle without license in possession

I guess what I was hoping to get across with my brief exchange with the officer, like DieselDakota mentioned, is that there really wasn't any other reasonable option. I told him that I could call the canoe place and confirm that i had indeed left my license there on sunday while we were renting things which would show that I haven't been without it for a week and just hadn't bothered to do it.

I was hoping that the person we trust to enforce our laws would be reasonable enough to understand that a legitimate mistake was made in a non-routine situation and that there was no other reasonable way around the situation. But that was not the case. The point of this thread was to see if the court may have a different opinion of the matter if I could show that everything I'm saying is truthful.

But the only real conclusions to draw from everyone's posts is that it's a shitty situation with shitty consequences.

That and that JugZ is probably the most childish non-millennial in existence and probably the best argument for abortion that i've ever come across.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    If you're in Mexico on vacation and you lost your passport would you just say "fuck it I guess I'm a Mexican now, there is obviously no going back"
    1) Thank you for using "you're" correctly.
    2) Your analogy is not apples to apples.

780rx made it home. So, in your example, I made it home. So, no mexicano, hombre. Plus, 780rx also said "we" meaning there's possibly someone else that could have drove home as well. To re-jig your analogy more accurately, I'm in Mexico and I lost my license. I fly home to Edmonton on a Sunday and have to work the next day (holiday). I know I lost my license so I make the decision to drive to work or miss work knowing that my respective consequences are to possibly get a ticket or get fired.

Personally, I would have drove home and to work without a license too -I consider myself a better drive than my wife so I'm driving, license or not. My point is if I got the same ticket, it would be fantabulous if the officer understood the circumstances. Otherwise, the best I'd do is try to reduce the ticket by having someone represent me in court. It's an infraction I willingly walked into and the situation and timing suck, but I would not expect leniency as some form of entitled right specifically surrounding my circumstances (this is a slippery slope where people complain that officers are corrupt/play favourtism). Do I have the right to reduce it in court? Absolutely.

If in court, I would tell the lawyer or whoever listens to every sad story that the company has been letting people go amidst the economy. So, you kind of had no choice but to drive to work. Either risk the ticket or risk being laid off in hopes of a reduction.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    1) Thank you for using "you're" correctly.
    2) Your analogy is not apples to apples.

780rx made it home. So, in your example, I made it home. So, no mexicano, hombre. Plus, 780rx also said "we" meaning there's possibly someone else that could have drove home as well. To re-jig your analogy more accurately, I'm in Mexico and I lost my license. I fly home to Edmonton on a Sunday and have to work the next day (holiday). I know I lost my license so I make the decision to drive to work or miss work knowing that my respective consequences are to possibly get a ticket or get fired.

Personally, I would have drove home and to work without a license too -I consider myself a better drive than my wife so I'm driving, license or not. My point is if I got the same ticket, it would be fantabulous if the officer understood the circumstances. Otherwise, the best I'd do is try to reduce the ticket by having someone represent me in court. It's an infraction I willingly walked into and the situation and timing suck, but I would not expect leniency as some form of entitled right specifically surrounding my circumstances (this is a slippery slope where people complain that officers are corrupt/play favourtism). Do I have the right to reduce it in court? Absolutely.

If in court, I would tell the lawyer or whoever listens to every sad story that the company has been letting people go amidst the economy. So, you kind of had no choice but to drive to work. Either risk the ticket or risk being laid off in hopes of a reduction.
    Small changes to your scenario.
    1. Your flight lands in Calgary you live in Edmonton. That more equivalent to banff to red deer than Edmonton international to Edmonton.
    2. Your driving your sports car and your wife can't drive standard.
    3. You got the ticket on your way home, not your way to work.

This is pretty much OP's scenario
    #RAM

Find a new wife.
    Sig does not follow sig guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    3. You got the ticket on your way home, not your way to work.

This is pretty much OP's scenario
    That's not how I read it. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    Anyways, last night I was driving to red deer for work
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    That's not how I read it. See below.
    Well naturally I didn't go straight from the hotel to work, so using the scenario that I was going home isn't exactly that unreasonable. I also drove home without a license. Then to work.

Either way I'm not even sure what point you're trying to argue since you said yourself that in the same situation you would have done the same thing I have meaning that you also find the grounds for the ticket a little bit unnecessary.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    I...
    That and that JugZ is probably the most childish non-millennial in existence and probably the best argument for abortion that i've ever come across.
    Calling someone "childish" because he suggested you take responsibility for your own actions reinforces my argument immeasurably.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Calling someone "childish" because he suggested you take responsibility for your own actions reinforces my argument immeasurably.
    See if you said that I wouldn't have had an issue but:

#HateCrime
    #WorseThanHitler

Bro, how dare you suggest that there's even an argument for self entitlement, here! Cops are here to dole out cake, let them eat it and then pat them on the head and tell them they're special. Millennials need to have their needs (which are extraordinarily special & unique, btw), nurtured and coddled.
    Affirms that you are a load that should have been swallowed
    -Viktimize

Just FYI - the cop told me to keep a picture of my documents on my phone, and they'd accept that.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.