Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: Electrical Question

Default Electrical Question

So out at a friends cabin they have a main cabin then a second small cabin right behind it (roughly 15ft by 18ft). It currently is just plugged into the outside 15amp receptacle.

When it gets colder out & they have the lights on, tv & one of those fake fire place heaters that are movable & just plug in the breaker will trip (that's the most anything will be on at the same time). It has 4 receptacles & 2 lights.

If they were to run 14/3 15amp wire in conduit from the main cabin panel to the second one to have two circuits, one circuit would go to the sole receptacle the heater is plugged into and the second circuit would be for the lights and other 3 receptacles.

There is no subpanel in the second cabin it would be a direct feed from the main, & in the main cabin you would just use a double pull single throw 15amp breaker.

Would all it work out as i have described? Running one feed so that there is two circuits & they share the neutral & stop the tripping since one circuit wasn't enough. Whats your input? Would 12/3 wire for the 15amp circuit be better to run to the second cabin since the path to get there to the cabin is about 60-65ft then add the distance of wiring in the cabin will put it over 80ft.
    Last edited by md.; May 25th, 2017 at 01:16 AM.

If the outside plug is only used for supplying power to the smaller cabin you could make it a 120v 20 amp service. Also swap the lights out for leds.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

I would think that would work. You would have to do it to code,probably bury the wires, might have to see what sized wire to run if it's getting to be a larger run as well.
    1993 B2200, S4 13B Swapped, 5-speed, otherwise stock

I'd run 14/3 with a 15a breaker, anything higher is a overkill and waste of money. Have to run it in a pipe underground by code. What is the draw of the heater?

Quote Originally Posted by one_low_z24 View Post
    I'd run 14/3 with a 15a breaker, anything higher is a overkill and waste of money. Have to run it in a pipe underground by code. What is the draw of the heater?
    Ill have to check the heater amperage. Yeah the plan was from where the panel is (outside front wall of main cabin) run plastic conduit along the underside of the main cabin to the backside, drop down in conduit to the ground, itll be direct burial wire so bury that to code depth to get across to second cabin come up with conduit into second cabin to junction box inside where i would splice it in.

Put that CAUTION - BURIED ELECTRICAL ribbon below grade, as well. Remember that one day, you won't be the one living there and they deserve a chance of finding what you've done without sinking a shovel through it.

Check the heater draw, or plug it in by itself and see if that will blow the breaker. No lights or tv.
    Of you're going through all that work, maybe upgrade wire to a 12/3, or even 10/3, in case you want more power in future.
    Led lights like Chris mentioned are great idea to keep the draw lower .