Certified

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Investing in crypto currencies

Thanks

You'd need to know their maintenance and server/database backup schedules also.

Unless you're their server admin... in which case, let's make some money haha
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 800 Posts

Where did this "let's" come from?

(Sidenote: Did you ever get your wife's laptop figured out? Do you still need to drop it off for me to look at?)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

Well, I know a thing or two about algorithms.

Literally, one or two things.

And nope, not yet. I've been meaning to contact ya but I work office hours so it's been a bit of a fuss trying to figure out a convenient time to boot downtown (which is about a 30-40 min drive from where I work). Plus, deadlines, projects, etc. I'm hoping soon lol
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    You forget I work in IT... I have 100 companies with multiple servers at each location (that's at bare minimum hundreds of servers, with dual CPU's and dozens of cores) that I could install a miner on, set it run after-hours when nobody is in the office so it doesn't impact their day-to-day business when their CPU's get pegged to 100%... I'll be rich in no time! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Except, seriously, I have more integrity than that.
    I think the mining is very GPU intensive and not very CPU intensive at all. I really don't know anything about mining though.
    #RAM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    Investing in that would give me fucking ulcers. It dropped $1500 yesterday from $10,500 to $9,000 just because a lot of people sold. Imagine buying $100K worth (lulz so like 9 bitcoins) and then having it drop $15,000 on a whim?

Gotta have a lot of expendable money to play that game. I'd be playing with retirement so no thank you.
    For the last few months eth was down quite a ways from my buy in point, but I held out and luckily it's up now.
    #RAM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 590 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
    They're making it so you can bet futures on bitcoin now. Also you can buy shares in companies that do the mining. Which is way easier and probably more lucrative. You have to do hardware upgrades so often that it kills a lot of profit to do it yourself.

I am seriously questioning if I should put 100k on eth now. If that thing hit 10,000$ in the next few years I'd have 2 million dollars.
    Your call but that is about as risky as it gets IMO. These things are hypetrains, which make them great investments while the train is chugging away, but if that hype ever dies out, or someone regulates teh fuck out of it, or someone comes up with a new better thing, you could lose out big.

Apple, early 2000s, omg up up up, easy money.... then one day it crashes from 88 to 16.
    Dot.com boom prior to that.
    Bre-X prior to that.

realestate was a big thing you couldn't lose on recently as well.
    Gold after the big US recession.
    Oil and gas in alberta.

History is riddled with investments that were can't lose, sometimes followed by a slow decline where you can get out wtihout too muhc of a loss if you see its a long term decline, but often followed by a huge crash in the span of a day or a week where you lost huge and cant get out.

In our present time we have Marajuana and bitcoins. It's anyone's guess how long they will keep going up and up, but I guarantee someday they'll hit the peak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    Your call but that is about as risky as it gets IMO. These things are hypetrains, which make them great investments while the train is chugging away, but if that hype ever dies out, or someone regulates teh fuck out of it, or someone comes up with a new better thing, you could lose out big.

Apple, early 2000s, omg up up up, easy money.... then one day it crashes from 88 to 16.
    Bre-X prior to that.

Oil and gas in alberta.

History is riddled with investments that were can't lose, sometimes followed by a slow decline where you can get out wtihout too muhc of a loss if you see its a long term decline, but often followed by a huge crash in the span of a day or a week where you lost huge and cant get out.

In our present time we have Marajuana and bitcoins. It's anyone's guess how long they will keep going up and up, but I guarantee someday they'll hit the peak.
    Just set up a stop loss. I'm up quite a bit. I haven't set it up yet but my plan is to set up a sale point well below the current price but where I still have a healthy profit, then if it crashes I lock in my profits and walk away. Worst case is has a drop hits my sale point and bounces back. Either way I still lock in a profit.
    #RAM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 590 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    Just set up a stop loss. I'm up quite a bit. I haven't set it up yet but my plan is to set up a sale point well below the current price but where I still have a healthy profit, then if it crashes I lock in my profits and walk away. Worst case is has a drop hits my sale point and bounces back. Either way I still lock in a profit.
    that works fine during trading hours when the up and down of stocks is a fluid smooth motion for movement, but IMO its not guaranteed (or even likely) for stocks to crash at say 1pm, or 10am. What happens is some shit news gets released at 4:01pm toronto time or later, aka afterhours, and the opening top bid order the next morning is 60% less than what it closed at the day before and 4 bazillion people are selling at market price crashing it even harder. A stop loss wont save you in that case, nor will it save you if trading is halted for news.

The stocks i'm in pretty much release their data afterhours, and all the movements i've seen that were significantly negative or positive were at opening trade where you missed the boat if u didn't already own or sell yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 917 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post

Bre-X prior to that.

Oil and gas in alberta.

Yup. That's why long term investments are the stupidest ones. But for some reason every money manager plays that long and slow game to make pennies over the course of 40 years. The people that make money in the market get in, and get out relatively quickly.