Garage 104

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 9 of 28

Thread: Top Soil, Sod and Fencing, How much?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 96 Times in 73 Posts

    Default Top Soil, Sod and Fencing, How much?

    I'm in the process of purchasing a home and trying to get a rough idea of what the following would cost:

    Top Soil?
    Sod?
    Fence?

    #13 is the lot it would be for.

    Last edited by krmitlovesbacon; July 9th, 2017 at 10:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 167 Times in 108 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krmitlovesbacon View Post
    I'm in the process of purchasing a home and trying to get a rough idea of what the following would cost:

    Top Soil?
    Sod
    Just did topsoil this weekend, 220 per tandem so 12 yards and our lot which i would say is medium sized took 3 loads. Went through park topsoil and they were great to work with and the best price we were able to find

    Sod should be in the neighborhood of 30-35 cents a square foot so obviously youd need the sq footage to get a good estimate

    Fences are expensive though. What we are going to do is have someone come in and sink the posts then ill put the panels up myself.

    We also rented a skid steer from home depot for the topsoil which was a life saver. 350 bucks and worth every penny
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

  3. #3
    Cyanide Ride's Avatar
    Cyanide Ride is offline Crotchety old bastard wrapped bastard filled with bastard Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    12,685
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 265 Times in 189 Posts

    Default

    Our first place, we built our own fence and deck out of quality lumber.

    Our second place we scraped and scrounged every penny and bought vinyl fence and decking. Totally maintenance free.

    If you're on the fence about wood or vinyl, save up your cash and go plastic. Your extra time saved will thank you in the future.
    When negotiations fail, escalate.
    "... And the complacency of fools will destroy them..." Proverbs 1:32
    "When a bird is alive, it eats ants, when the bird dies, ants will eat the bird.
    Time and circumstance can change at anytime so don't devalue or hurt anyone in life.
    You may be powerful today, but remember, Time is more powerful than you."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    149
    Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    Fences are expensive though. What we are going to do is have someone come in and sink the posts then ill put the panels up myself.

    We also rented a skid steer from home depot for the topsoil which was a life saver. 350 bucks and worth every penny
    Why not use the skid steer to drive in the fence posts? Or would it cost less to have someone do just that and leave?
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

    2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen

    1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

    1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    318
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 167 Times in 108 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pry4sno View Post
    Why not use the skid steer to drive in the fence posts? Or would it cost less to have someone do just that and leave?
    Its marginally more expensive to have someone just do it but then youre not dicking around all day getting everything aligned and plumb
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 272 Times in 161 Posts

    Default

    A good fence will run you $35-45 per linear foot. Your plot plan drawing looks like its from Pals Geomatics... they surveyed my neighbourhood in St Albert. Building with Parkwood?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 96 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by QPDO View Post
    A good fence will run you $35-45 per linear foot. Your plot plan drawing looks like its from Pals Geomatics... they surveyed my neighbourhood in St Albert. Building with Parkwood?
    Pacesetter

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,831
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 816 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanide Ride View Post
    Our first place, we built our own fence and deck out of quality lumber.

    Our second place we scraped and scrounged every penny and bought vinyl fence and decking. Totally maintenance free.

    If you're on the fence about wood or vinyl, save up your cash and go plastic. Your extra time saved will thank you in the future.
    I'll respectfully disagree just to be a PitA...
    Maintenance intervals on a fence are, like 10 years with a lifespan of 25 years.
    Decks? Burn one weekend out of 156 painting/staining and you're looking at a 30 year life.
    Or, go plastic for 2x, 4x, 7x, 17x the cost and the deck and fence will last 10x longer than the house will...
    Oh, and you'll only do it ONCE, but you'll get that story to tell for the rest of your life about the Deep Second Degree Burns you got on the bottom of your feet that one time you strolled out onto your deck in bare feet when it was 31°C outside. That's a life changing event.

    Seriously though... they're great. I just wish they made an affordable one that only lasted 15,000 years instead of the 4.2 Billion year models. I don't require that.
    $0.02

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    445
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 96 Times in 73 Posts

    Default

    How would a plastic fence hold up to a hockey puck? How slippery would a plastic deck be in the winter(I BBQ year round)?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •