First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: More info on vinyl wrapping

Thanks

Default More info on vinyl wrapping

I'm checking websites for local folks doing car wraps and some stuff isn't clear on some of the "conditions" before they can apply vinyl. One of the site says "please make sure your vehicle’s paint is undamaged and reasonably clean. This helps guarantee a flawless, lasting application and avoid extra charges".

Don't they wash the car? remove wax?

Also, what happens if you have protection films, I assume it has to be removed, is that usually quoted in the price?

My car already has minor scratches after 2 months... is that an issue? I realize that scratches will come through the wrap, any other reason it would be an issue?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sccoaire View Post
    I'm checking websites for local folks doing car wraps and some stuff isn't clear on some of the "conditions" before they can apply vinyl. One of the site says "please make sure your vehicle’s paint is undamaged and reasonably clean. This helps guarantee a flawless, lasting application and avoid extra charges".

Don't they wash the car? remove wax?

Also, what happens if you have protection films, I assume it has to be removed, is that usually quoted in the price?

My car already has minor scratches after 2 months... is that an issue? I realize that scratches will come through the wrap, any other reason it would be an issue?
    Yes they wash the car, how else would they insure the vinyl will stick? The surface has to be clean, dust nibs and any bits of dirt will show under the film. Usually they wash with dish soap which will remove any wax.

If you have a clear bra on the front they will 9/10 times wrap over top of which results in it looking like your new color has the same PPF line on it from when it did before. No sense in removing it unless it's damaged as it still provides extra protection.

If you can FEEL the scratch then you will probably see it in the wrap, if it you cannot feel by hand then chances are the wrap will hide them just fine.

Your best bet is to actually go to a shop and ask these questions or call and ask.

Thanks

The vehicle MUST be washed/cleaned prior to film installation.
    If you have damaged paint/rust it will likely cause problems down the road and should be repaired properly first for the best installation. At least use touch up paint or if it's bad enough repair/primer/sealer. Fresh paint must be allowed to fully cure (could be anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks.
    You can wrap over chips and scratches in most cases but you will likely see this through the film. If there is a problem directly related to chipped or scratched paint it may not be covered under warranty.
    I personally would go the extra step and clean and Clay Bar the vehicle prior to wrapping. Not all shops will wash the car for you or if they do it could be extra cost on top of the wrap. We suggest Bubbles as they hand wash and hand dry. Wrapping is a dry installation so you don't really want to be washing cars and wrapping in the same place unless there are separate bays. The car has to be completely dry as well which will add to the total installation time. Fine cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol and Water would basically be the last step before wrapping.
    I would recommend removing the PPF prior to wrapping as this could cause potential issues down the road. You can always re-install fresh PPF over the new wrap to protect your investment. The colour film can be installed over PPF but again it is a risk that you have to be willing to accept if it fails.

Hopefully that helps I work for Alberta Car Wrap in Edmonton if you want to give me a shout.