Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lawn: Sod vs Seed

Default New lawn: Sod vs Seed

Sod vs Seed for a new lawn. I don't take possession until September 18th. If the builder gets the rough grade completed before I move in, I'd like to get started on the lawn.

Has anyone done both?

What did you do?

Too late in the season. Don't do it.
    /thread.

No, it's not impossible... There's just little benefit compared to waiting until next season.

is the house in a new community? if so check the architectural guidelines as a lot of the time the developer doesn't allow you to seed and wants sod.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Too late in the season. Don't do it.
    /thread.

No, it's not impossible... There's just little benefit compared to waiting until next season.
    This.

Also, for the love of fucking god, do sod. Seed is awful, even hydro seed, you will regret it. Nothing ruins being in a new build than constant mud everywhere and not being able to use your yard. Source: My family has a homebuilding business. I've moved 30+ times in my life, I've done it all. It will take a LOT longer than you think to have a full, healthy lawn with seed.

Also, good luck with the builder having the rough grade done because #buildersgonnabebuilders

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    This.

Also, for the love of fucking god, do sod. Seed is awful, even hydro seed, you will regret it. Nothing ruins being in a new build than constant mud everywhere and not being able to use your yard. Source: My family has a homebuilding business. I've moved 30+ times in my life, I've done it all. It will take a LOT longer than you think to have a full, healthy lawn with seed.

Also, good luck with the builder having the rough grade done because #buildersgonnabebuilders
    ^This!
    Although... Seeding isn't THAT horrible, but you definitely have to get up about 45 min early EVERY day for a few weeks to water it and you'll likely need to water it again in the evening. It's a lot more work. I disagree with the mud comment (as long as you keep the fuck off of it and keep dogs away).
    Fuck hydro seeding. I don't understand why it doesn't work in Edmonton because it grows on the side of telephone poles in Victoria but it takes 8 weeks of PERFECT conditions to finally sprout weeds in Edmonton!

I found getting a timer made life a bit easier. Thedigital ones can have multiple start stop times allowing it to run for a bit in the morning and evening without much hassle. Just cancel it early if weather in the forecast for a specific day.
    Model View Caffeine

Seed takes 3 years to establish to a quality turf. Use sod, give us a call at APS landscaping inc, we can do your final grade and supply you with sod to install.

i follow Sherwood Nurseries on FB, "Kentucky blue grass Sod delivered for the same price as pick up price. " they sell it for 0.39 cents a square foot delivered. " The sod we sell is Kentucky blue grass which needs less water once established to stay healthy and greener then other grasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    is the house in a new community? if so check the architectural guidelines as a lot of the time the developer doesn't allow you to seed and wants sod.
    We've been told nothing at all about specifics as of yet. Besides signing a document that states we may need to follow certain guidelines regarding landscaping.