LubeFX

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SUV opinions/recommendations wanted

Default SUV opinions/recommendations wanted

Thinking about getting a "winter beater" for the wife...

The obvious choice is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Are any of the other Jeep products even worth looking at?

How about Fords? Are the Ford Escape's any good?

GMC Acadia might be okay, but there really aren't any for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

I know somebody with an Acadia/envoy she said the older ones with the auto awd are a little sluggish to react, like you start to slide, you correct accordingly, then the awd system kicks in, and you have to re-correct. She has a newer one, as well and it's much better.

I don't know what size/age/etc you're looking for... my old 04 Durango with good winter tires was pretty much unstoppable.. wait that's bad phrasing. But that whole generation for Durangos were that was, same with the Aspen (Chrysler branded Durango) The newer gen 2010+ of Durangos are just Jeep Cherokees with different branding, and less 4x4/suspension options.

I know somebody with an escape, and she was a hardcore anti-ford person, but bad credit and limited options... she ended up loving it, I never head any complaints from her.

I know somebody else who traded in her '06 liberty on a Ford.. I can't remember what she got, it's about the size of the liberty, awd. she likes the features, it went back to the dealer for a week for some reason, she's not at work today so I can't ask he what it is, or why it went back.

Yeah... Envoy's aren't an option. That's what her grandma drives. lol. It's an "old person" vehicle.

I personally hate the 3rd gen Durango. Only because the styling is so awful. Also, I feel it's a bit too large. I guess I'm looking at "mid-size" SUV's?

I'm totally an anti-ford person. But just looking at what's available out there... The Escape caught my eye. Plenty of 2010-2012's with leather, 4x4, low mileage (around 100,000km's) for less than $10g's... Just didn't know if they were actually any good?

What about a black Explorer, put black steelies on it and look like a ghost car.

How is the Durango too big, but a Grand Cherokee a prime contender? They are the same.

Not sure how the older Mitsubishi suv's are, but they have had their 10 year warranty for a couple years, should be able to pick up a couple year old one with lots of warranty left.

I think he means 2nd gen Durango the 04-09 iirc... they were/are a full size suv...

Winter beater leads me to think used vehicle is the best option? Hate to quote myself but this advice still stands...

Quote Originally Posted by chrenan View Post
    I think a lot of people have trouble picking an SUV. With cars its easy, just buy an M3, everything else is a compromised choice. There is no real answer like that in the SUV world. The Isuzu VehiCROSS is honestly as close as you'll get. That being said, there are some great options out there if you are willing to think outside the usual VehiCROSS/X3/Toureg/RX/ML sort of options.

Why not a Scout? Great utility and interior space, good on and off-road manners, excellent reliability. Think about it, with an older used German SUV the dealers really don't want to deal with you for service. That means you sort of have to go to Eurasia. As you know, I'm a customer there and I love it, but its really the only option, which can be a bit intimidating for many people. With a Scout you can take it to any International Harvester dealer and have it serviced, which is a great benefit especially if you are in a smaller agricultural town, or travel frequently between rural farming areas. Original Poster, does that describe your parents? Maybe you could suggest they look at the Scout?

1987 951 - M193 Version for Japan

2015 Jeep Wrangler
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD

1819398 1820636 1820914 1821955 1827550 1832642 1834167 1834511 1843685 1845926 1846867 1858945 1870608

Quote Originally Posted by SilverNeonRacer View Post
    I think he means 2nd gen Durango the 04-09 iirc... they were/are a full size suv...
    Yeah. Those ones. Significantly larger than a Jeep.

Acadia and Escape are two completely different vehicles in size..

Do you have a list of needs or wants and a budget?

A lot of SUVs use Haldex AWD systems which is basically just FWD based and fwd over 10 km per hr so sometimes a fwd with proper winter tires is just as effective.

What's your budget??

I was just looking at SUV's. Fords are known for shitting engines. A 2006-2006 Lexus RX350 is in the 15k$ area. Solid vehicle with luxury options that will last 400k km. Acura MDX is a little cheaper, but won't be quite as good on fuel.