LubeFX

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: 100% Custom headache rack #RAM

Default 100% Custom headache rack #RAM

I'm going to start with, I am not a fabricator, I'm an IT guy with some wood working experience. This is my 2nd ever metal fab project, the first was a custom hitch for my motorcycle.

The motorcycle was about $80 for steel, and $60 for powder coating, Trikezone wanted over $800 to make one for my bike since it's no commercially available.

Onto the headache rack, commercially, the one closest to what I wanted is about $700+ Plus I wanted low profile, as I still want to go into parkades that I just fit into as is.

it's 100% custom, 100% hand made(aside from chop saw, angle grinder, and welder) I don't have any pictures, but I looked at images of how Backrack does their no drill mounting, and made an adjustable version.

And I went from there...

I let the uprights run wild so I could get my height whilst on the truck
    rack1.jpg

Trimmed to height
    rack2.jpg

top cross bar, cut and being test fitted
    rack3.jpg

tacking in the top cross bar, and bottom cross bar. Small planning flaw in that I drilled the holes for wiring, before I thought of putting the bottom cross bar on, so it's about 2" higher than I would like.
    rack4.jpg

I suck at welding, so I've just been doing the tacking, getting my brother-in-law to do the actual welding, it's my project, so he's refused to do any actual fab work, just offered a couple suggestions here and there.
    rack5.jpg

Light boxes mid-weld
    rack6.jpg

Trimming the mesh to fit
    rack7.jpg

Yay, it fits...
    rack8.jpg

Test fit on the truck again
    rack9.jpg

Running it like that on the truck for a day or two to see if I should make any other changes. Yes the mesh cutout around the 3rd brake light is oversized.. but I have plans...
    rack10.jpg

Just waiting on quotes for powder coating, but so far I'm into it for about $120-150 for the steel.

The running joke is that I could do the Clarkson Toyota truck challenge and the #ram would be destroyed but the headache rack would still be pristine, it's slightly over engineered for what is pretty much a light bar.

No real progress, just got some stainless mounting hardware.

On a side note, got 2 powder coat prices thus far,
    Synergy Coatings in Leduc, $250+ tax for a media blast and coating
    Impact Coatings $200 with tax for Sand blast, zinc rich primer(powder coat) and a black top powder coat.

Good work. . Where did you get the tool box? I want to get a lower one like that so i can put a cover on the bed. And a headache rack too

The toolbox is a Cap-it branded Dee-Zee box from Cap-it west side. I went for a chest vs over the rails as I wanted to put heavy stuff 100+ lbs. in it and not worry about blowing out the bottom of a suspended one. Only complaint is latches suck, I can pop it open without a key, I've had it for almost 3 years now and just noticed about a month ago, replacing the latches with these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so they completely surround the pins. There's also the new latches that you can one time key to your truck key, but I occasionally park in valet... and typically if I need in the box I need in it quickly, so I don't want to deal with getting the key out of the fob.

I too want a bed cover, I was looking at https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007V6SWF6/...I11SSY589NXV5C and it should clear the tool chest, and the way I built the headache rack that won't be an issue either. But now that it's been out for a bit the reviews aren't looking so great.

Rack goes in for powder coat today.. it won't fit in the truck, nor "in" the bed (with the tool box in there) so I had to bolt it into it's installed position.. accidentally scratched the side of my truck, since I tried to lift it over rather than put it on the very back and slide it up the plastic rails. So 7-11 days I'll get it back.. then the actual fun begins, wiring the bugger...

Got the rack back from powder coat yesterday. Went in right at 8:30am to get it, looking at it before I paid, there were 2 chips on it. I point it out, somebody must have banged something on it in the storage room, or on the way to the storage room. But Impact Coatings offered to fix it, no issue, turned out they were shooting that color that day, so I got a call mid afternoon saying it was done again. go get it... a hair over $200 with tax. It's not perfect, but I can't blame Impact coatings for it, I used some JB weld as filler (GoogleFu said it should have been fine) for a few small issues and well I guess it didn't cure properly and there's a couple spots that had issues during fab, that weren't visible til it was coated. All in all I'm happy, after all it's my first real metal fab project.
    rack11.jpg

I started wiring last night.. should have made a few wire holes bigger.. and I need a couple longer rivits....

More pics once it's on the truck...

Ok, so it's fully wired and installed.

On the bench, starting to install lights.
    rack12.jpg

Everything installed
    rack13.jpg

Installed on the truck
    rack14.jpg

Making sure all the lights are still visible with the toolbox open. You can see a light bar near the bottom of the rack in earlier pictures, if I opened the toolbox you couldn't see it anymore.. which was pretty much the whole purpose of the headache rack.
    rack15.jpg

Hear is all the lighting working: