Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado / Canyon any good?

Default Colorado / Canyon any good?

So i'm considering picking up a miled out chev Colorado or GMC canyon for dirt cheap just for a winter beater and also for the convenience of having a vehicle with a box (even if it's tiny) year round.

Just wondering your thoughts on those "trucks". Also, for my purposes of commuting, how essential is 4x4?
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Commuting in town or out of town?

Presumably you mean the OLD original Colorado/Canyon?

I hate small trucks in general. Terrible mpg, combined with cramped interiors and minimal hauling capabilities. They are the worst kind of compromise, bad at everything, good at nothing.

Having said that, a 4 cylinder 2wd model with a locking rear diff should be a-ok for in town, is smaller in outer dimensions than a full size, and meets your criteria. They are ok trucks, but also a lot of one off parts for that chassis, may make it more difficult to get parts nowadays as they didn't sell anything like a ranger.

Which leads me to my next point, get a ranger instead. /thread. They are better in every way, even though it pains me to support Ford.

I think that guy named Clutch drives his jacked up one EVERYWHERE from the looks of his pictures.
    Maybe he can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    Commuting in town or out of town?

Presumably you mean the OLD original Colorado/Canyon?

I hate small trucks in general. Terrible mpg, combined with cramped interiors and minimal hauling capabilities. They are the worst kind of compromise, bad at everything, good at nothing.

Having said that, a 4 cylinder 2wd model with a locking rear diff should be a-ok for in town, is smaller in outer dimensions than a full size, and meets your criteria. They are ok trucks, but also a lot of one off parts for that chassis, may make it more difficult to get parts nowadays as they didn't sell anything like a ranger.

Which leads me to my next point, get a ranger instead. /thread. They are better in every way, even though it pains me to support Ford.
    Yeah was looking at older ones like 05 or so. Lots of driving will be highway, all-be-it, mostly plowed. (QE2, secondary highways around red deer.) FWIW last year I dd'd my G35 coupe and that was fine. Just not sure if I want to keep doing that and beating up my "nice" car and having a vehicle with even a small box would be convenient so i can stop relying on others. So really getting 2 birds with one stone on this one. I'm not sure I have any use for a full size truck at this point. No towing. Not hauling heavy shit. Just be nice to have a vehicle with a box to haul a set of tires or other car parts, or pick up a piece of furniture, or go swap out a propane tank without having to put it inside my vehicle. Things like that.

What makes the ranger so much better? i figured they'd be roughly the same specs and the ford being hideous is what made me lean towards the chev.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    i figured they'd be roughly the same specs and the ford being hideous is what made me lean towards the chev.
    Better drivetrain, more reliable, built on a chassis that hasn't changed much in 20+ years of sales. Much better parts support since so many sold. Overall its just a better mini-truck. That's not to say the GM ones are bad, but I'd get a ranger first IMO.

If you care looking for an extended cab then go for the Ranger, if you want a little extra room go for the 4 door Chevy/GMC.

Just buy a #RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

If the truck is miled out and 4X4. Check the hubs/axle seals. If the truck is an extended cab and the airbag light is on, check the rear extended cab door for a broken black wire. Fix that and the light goes away. The trucks have captured rotors, so if your changing the front brakes, than have fun removing the hub assembly.

Beyond that the older 5 cylinder trucks can have head gasket issues, but most people fixed that under warranty. In the winter, the worst problem would be the blower fan stops working due to a bad connection which can burn out. You can fix it yourself easily enough, I did on my old truck. I primarily owned 4X4 models but I did have a 2WD regular cab for a little bit. G80 + 5 speed and winter tires worked fine enough. Older models won't have stability/traction control and will be more fun to drive in that respect. My black truck had the 2.9L 4 banger on 18" wheels and I was getting almost 30mpg on the highway with winter tires.

Beyond that, good luck shopping and hopefully you dont buy a lemon.

2004-2006 trucks have the 3.5L Inline five and 2.8L Inline four. You can buy extended/regular cab models with the 5 speed in either 2wd or 4x4. These early 3.5L trucks have the head gasket issue.
    2007-2012 trucks have the 3.7: Inline five and 2.9L Inline four. You can only buy 2.9L models with the 5 speed. These started coming with traction control etc
    2009-2012 trucks have the same larger engines (3.7 and 2.9L), but also came with the 5.3L V8. They also have larger front brakes and the smallest wheels they can run are 16". 2004-2008 can run 15" wheels if your really cheap.
    I'd avoid 2006/early 2007 models mostly due to GM changing the production around and they run different parts like steering racks/tie rods etc depending on when they left the production lines.

2004-2005 or 2008 models will be the simplest to maintain if you wanted to run 15" wheels.

Most 2wd trucks will have coil suspension on the front end. However if you buy a 2WD with the Z71 package you will get torsion bar suspension.
    All 4X4 models will have torsion bar suspension. If you find a 2WD and it has either the ZQ8 or Xtreme package then it will be coil spring, and have a tighter steering rack ratio.
    Rear gear ratios will either be 3.42/3.73 or 4.10. Trucks with the Z71 package should have 4.10 and G80. Everything else like Z85 packages will either be 3.42/3.73 unless someone ordered the truck with 4.10's.

The funnest to drive (unicorn find) will be a regular cab 2004-06 3.5L, 5 speed with the ZQ8 package, G80, and 4.10 gears.
    Last edited by Clutch; October 5th, 2017 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post

Beyond that, good luck shopping and hopefully you buy a lemon.
    ^RoFL and LoL!!!