Track Junkies

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dodge Durango vs Ford Explorer vs Jeep Grand Cherokee vs ????

Durango is at least true 4x4. And can tow a boat no problem.

Explorer is FWD.

Edit: Grand Cherokee will be too small.

Tahoe as suggested MIGHT be worth a look.

I have no comments on any of the foreign stuff people are recommending.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Is the new Durango true AWD? I know it's full time AWD, but I'm pretty sure, on the lower end models the Diffs are open.

Grand Cherokee has all the awesome awd/4x4 modes, and is pretty much the same chassis as the new Durango, just typically the Durango is a hair longer and has the 3rd row seating.

I have an older Tahoe, it's an 04, it has 3 rows, seats 8, rated to tow 7800lbs. It's basically a reg cab short box truck, but with seats all the way to the back and coil rear suspension instead of leafs. With the 3rd row removed, and the middle row folded down, the cargo floor is a flat 6' long and 4' wide between the wheel wells. A Suburban or Yukon XL is the same, but 2' longer or so.

Just don't expect fuel mileage.
    1993 B2200, S4 13B Swapped, 5-speed, otherwise stock

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    There are many offerings from Volvo, Audi and many others that would fit the bill. My biggest suggestion wold be to stay away from anything North American
    What makes you say that? Used German cars in my experience are horrible for reliability, not to mention expensive when out of warranty. My suggestion would be the Ford Explorer, my 04 managed to tow my dad's 2WD F-350 out of a snow ditch and it was tough as nails (started all winter sleeping outside, super stable on the roads in the winter, didn't need to replace anything while I had it. I drive a Jeep now and its been nothing but problems.

Quote Originally Posted by specialzed View Post
    What makes you say that? Used German cars in my experience are horrible for reliability, not to mention expensive when out of warranty. My suggestion would be the Ford Explorer, my 04 managed to tow my dad's 2WD F-350 out of a snow ditch and it was tough as nails (started all winter sleeping outside, super stable on the roads in the winter, didn't need to replace anything while I had it. I drive a Jeep now and its been nothing but problems.
    That's the issue. experiences differ :P

My 04 Durango pulled a lifted F350 4x4 on mudders (Stereotypical "rigpig") off a snow bank with no issues, other than the first yank his tow hook came flying at me. With good winter tires the only time I had traction issues was when I wanted to break traction. The only thing I replaced on it was oil, tires, and shocks(my choice).