First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floating/False Floor/Ceiling

Thanks

Default Floating/False Floor/Ceiling

Looking for some pointers on how to go about building a ceiling/floor that I can raise and lower via a cable/pulley system. Either with a manual chain or a winch.

I'm hoping to have this strong enough to potentially store a snowmobile/motorcycle up there.

Here's a picture......

Thanks

like everything car related, whats your budget.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NotZhao View Post
    like everything car related, whats your budget.
    I don't have a budget, as I don't have th slightest clue what it would cost to build. Or if there is a product out there that I can just buy and install.

Thanks

I'd be worried myself about the weight that the ceiling is able to support. Sounds like your talking about hanging around 1000lb's or so off the ceiling. Might be doable, might not, I'm no expert. Interested in seeing the results though.
    #RAM

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldakota View Post
    I'd be worried myself about the weight that the ceiling is able to support. Sounds like your talking about hanging around 1000lb's or so off the ceiling. Might be doable, might not, I'm no expert. Interested in seeing the results though.
    A snoemobile shouldn't weigh much more than 500 pounds, with fluids still in it.

Once it was lifted up into position, I could have some sort of safety/support feature that would allow some of the weight to be transferred to the floor and/or walls etc.

Thanks

500 lbs for the snowmobile + whatever the platform that the vehicle is resting on weighs. That should be an easy/additional 80-100 lbs imo.

Should be doable as tire racks that you screw into studs have a weight limit of 250 lbs. Seems possible to devise a system that evenly divides the weight across 4 corners.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 764 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    500 lbs for the snowmobile + whatever the platform that the vehicle is resting on weighs. That should be an easy/additional 80-100 lbs imo.

Should be doable as tire racks that you screw into studs have a weight limit of 250 lbs. Seems possible to devise a system that evenly divides the weight across 4 corners.
    Tire tracks load wall studs in compression, which is typically fine (within reason).
    Hanging stuff from ceilings puts combined loads on trusses in a way that they shouldn't be. I've ignored that up to about 100 pounds but overall, it's a bad idea, particularly for these weights. Wood fails in brittle fracture that's catastrophic and this could kill you, plus take your roof down and damage all your stuff.
    Now, all is not lost! If you design a platform that can be jacked up slowly and then braced on walls, you can still accomplish most of your goal, which appears to be maximizing floor space for other uses.
    Last edited by JugZ; October 16th, 2017 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks

Oh yeah, good point. I'm not comparing apples to apples.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    Oh yeah, good point. I'm not comparing apples to apples.
    Yeah floor joist design is usually designed with weigh (dead weight or live weight) ratings. We have customers with a large aquarium before and had to amend floor joist design to accomodate for the higher dead weight in that spot.