Certified

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: BMW X3 Any Good?

Thanks

Default BMW X3 Any Good?

So while I was considering getting a POS truck for winter, I thought of another idea - since my girlfriend is wanting to get a different vehicle soon, why not just hers now as opposed to in the summer like we were more or less planning and i'd just drive her 4runner in the winter.

So that being said, one of the things she really likes is the BMW X3, like a 2012 or so probably with the 35i engine. They are really nice IMO and the price is good. My only concern is reliability. I've done a bit of research and they seem alright, only thing seems to be the electric water pump doesn't last too long and would likely need replacing soon.

But other than that i don't know too much about BMWs let alone the X3. Would it be able to get 250k kms relatively headache free? I don't mind the odd fix, even the water pump issue i can get over but I don't want it in the shop every few months a couple years down the road whether I am fixing shit myself or having someone else do. It would obviously be used and have around 80-100k on it.

Any words of wisdom/warning?

Far as I know, lots of BMWs use the same N55 series engine so maybe advice doesn't have to be X3 specific.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 913 Posts

The 35i engine is know to have turbo issues. Just a matter of time. Chances are you'll get 100,000mi out of new turbos. But something to think about as they're a big ticket item to replace. Other than the typical BMW small item failures, they're decent vehicles. Engine internals themselves seem to hold up well. Just know that you'll most likely be replacing everything around it every 100-140k km. That's why the price seems so great on them after they surpass 100k km. I haven't ran the exact math, but after 4 BMW's I lean towards saying it's roughly the same price to lease a new BMW, as it is to buy an older model and then pay for maintenance. Especially if you factor in resale values in the event you ever want to get rid of it.

I'm VERY tempted to go pick up an X5M around 2010 just because the price seems so attractive. But I keep reminding myself that I said I'd never own another BMW for a reason.

Personally if my heart was set on an X3/5. I'd stay away from a turbo model. That cuts a massive looming repair bill out of the calculation. Yes the water pump is another repair waiting to happen. If you shop online and familiarize yourself with the job to do it yourself when the time comes. Then you just saved another chunk of money that makes the purchase more attractive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
    The 35i engine is know to have turbo issues. Just a matter of time. Chances are you'll get 100,000mi out of new turbos. But something to think about as they're a big ticket item to replace. Other than the typical BMW small item failures, they're decent vehicles. Engine internals themselves seem to hold up well. Just know that you'll most likely be replacing everything around it every 100-140k km. That's why the price seems so great on them after they surpass 100k km. I haven't ran the exact math, but after 4 BMW's I lean towards saying it's roughly the same price to lease a new BMW, as it is to buy an older model and then pay for maintenance. Especially if you factor in resale values in the event you ever want to get rid of it.

I'm VERY tempted to go pick up an X5M around 2010 just because the price seems so attractive. But I keep reminding myself that I said I'd never own another BMW for a reason.

Personally if my heart was set on an X3/5. I'd stay away from a turbo model. That cuts a massive looming repair bill out of the calculation. Yes the water pump is another repair waiting to happen. If you shop online and familiarize yourself with the job to do it yourself when the time comes. Then you just saved another chunk of money that makes the purchase more attractive.
    Yeah i've already familiarized myself with the water pump replacement, seems like a bit of a PITA but still doable. Unfortunately the years/models we were looking at only come with the turbo engines (either the 35i or the 28i) and from what i can find, 35 actually seems like a more reliable option. In any event, She probably wouldn't stress the turbo too much. That's a new one though and good to know
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

Thanks
    Thanked 1,283 Times in 913 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 780rx View Post
    Yeah i've already familiarized myself with the water pump replacement, seems like a bit of a PITA but still doable. Unfortunately the years/models we were looking at only come with the turbo engines (either the 35i or the 28i) and from what i can find, 35 actually seems like a more reliable option. In any event, She probably wouldn't stress the turbo too much. That's a new one though and good to know

Full disclosure, I don't know anything about the N20 engines. That's after my time in BMW's. As for the 35i, just do some research on the 335i models. You'll read all about the turbo issues there. I'd hope BMW has addressed it by now, but I highly doubt it. The turbos will last to warranty generally without abuse, so BMW is unlikely to care. It seems they engineer everything to fail on that car after 100k km. Bushings, air hoses, oil separator, water pump, etc, etc.

Thanks

My fiance has a 2013 x3 with the 28i engine. We just finished having her car at BMW to the tune of a $5000 bill to replace the timing chain guides and oil pump. Both failures were at an astonishing 115,000 kms. When we initially bought it brand new, we expected to get a car that would last at least until 180-200k kms before having to do some kind of major maintenance bills, but this was a failure of the guide that caused it to stretch the chain and starve the oil pump with pieces of the guide that was broken off.

I don't mind the car but be warned as Viktimize has said, the maintenance and repair bill on these cars is astronomical when compared to a comparable model from ford, gmc, dodge, etc. Also, at least with other brands, for the most part, you can do the work yourself!! The labour bill alone for the timing chain job on ours was for 16.5 hours. You have to drop the front subframe and all front driveline to take the oilpan off. We'll never buy another one of these cars after what we've dealt with.