First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: How soon after importation does an OOP have to be completed?

Thanks

Question How soon after importation does an OOP have to be completed?

What's up guys? I've moved back Edmonton from Japan and I've shipped my Chaser that I've owned for almost 8 years back home with me.

Currently I've gotten brokers to clear customs for me in Vancouver and they are in the process of freighting it to me.
    The vehicle will be delivered directly to my house and I plan to store it immediately (as I don't plan to daily drive it, and especially not in the winter).

The question that I have is regarding the logistics in getting the car registered:
    - Is there any registration that needs to be done as soon as the car is delivered?
    - Can the car sit over the winter before I OOP it in the spring?

Cheers,
    Adam

Thanks

By memory it's supposed to be within 30 days, but that may have more to do with the 30 day grace period to drive without the OOPI being done on temp plates. Don't think you can drive it after the 30 days without the OOPI and subsequent registration, insurance paperwork being dealt with.

http://www.riv.ca/ImporterChecklist.aspx
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

Thanks

It depends how old it is. If it is exempt from the RIV process (Over 15 years old) I don't think there is a time limit. I took 2 years until the '89 car I imported from the US was ready to pass a safety. There were zero problems. I handed over the import papers, got the VIN registered and then completed the OOP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    It depends how old it is. If it is exempt from the RIV process (Over 15 years old) I don't think there is a time limit. I took 2 years until the '89 car I imported from the US was ready to pass a safety. There were zero problems. I handed over the import papers, got the VIN registered and then completed the OOP.
    Thanks for the feedback.

The vehicle is a 1997 Toyota Chaser which would make it nearly 20 years old. If that is the case then that will simplify things greatly.

Just for my future reference, how did the process go systematically? My rough understanding is as follows:
    - Apply for temporary plates by showing your importation documents
    - Get the vehicle OOPed
    - Bring the importation and OOP documents to the registry

Correct?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 589 Posts

No time limit on JDM vehicles because all you need is an OOP.

You need insurance also to get an intransit in alberta unless things have changed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    No time limit on JDM vehicles because all you need is an OOP.

You need insurance also to get an intransit in alberta unless things have changed.
    i imported my 2nd Sambar in August, i needed no insurance at all until i was driving it because the vehicle was getting shipped directly from port to the place that was doing the OPI here. after the OPI i got insurance and brought the insurance pink slip with the passing OPI report and the shitload of documents from the auction seller in Japan to the registry and that was it. i had no in-transit

if youre driving home from Vancouver to Edmonton thats where the in-transit comes into play and i have no idea, that you have a time frame for getting the inspection etc
    1979 Toyota Supra
    1991 Subaru Sambar 4x4
    1997 Subaru Sambar 4x4
    1991 Toyota Crown Royal Saloon
    2000 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4