Lexus of Edmonton

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: Dodge Diesel ECM repair?

Thanks

Default Dodge Diesel ECM repair?

My mothers dually ran into some issues and after going through a bunch of things they are now suggesting a new ECM, or sending her's down to the states to maybe get fixed. Was wondering if anyone more local is capable of an ECM repair? I think they were quoting her around 4k to have a brand new ECM installed that "might" fix the issue.

Edit: 2007.5 - 3500 diesel
    Last edited by Izerous; November 23rd, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 800 Posts

I've got a buddy who does this on the side.

You know when you take one to Speedtech to get fixed? And then they send it down to the states to "a guy"? Well "that guy" then turns around and uses my buddy, who is local here.

Wrap your head around how hilarious all of that is.

What issues are you experiencing? What makes you think it's the ECM and not the PCM? Does that model year have a TIPM?

Regardless, if you have the module removed from the vehicle already, I'll ask him if he's taking any more work right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

Not the one working on it and based on the conversation with my mom...

The TIPM has been outright replaced, 2 new batteries, alternator, fuel pump, EGR system has been worked on. Was trailered to Spruce Dodge flashed it and managed to run for less than a minute then dies. Thus the suspicion is purely on the ECM at this point based on the person working on it. She found a used ECM but not sure if that is going to fix the issue...

Needless to say the repair bill is getting a little big adding 4k for a new ECM is just adding to that.

Edit: no idea about the PCM.
    Last edited by Izerous; November 23rd, 2017 at 02:41 PM.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks

What is the issue with the pcm that they think is preventing the engine shut down?
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Thanks

I honestly have no clue beyond what i already mentioned. If i can get other details I will. I not even sure if it was trailered back to Drayton or not after Spruce had their hands on it. Or if Spruce Dodge are the ones blaming the ECU or what. Mom is needlessly having a bad time with it and attempting to help a little. 2 months without the truck already.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 590 Posts

completely useless internet post here but:

I had an 06 cummins. one day it fucked off and everything died powerwise in the cab, lights, cluster, etc, and so i pulled over and turned it off, and it wouldn't start. 30 minutes later a friend figured out there was a single ground at the PCM not making proper contact and problem solved.

2 years later i had a similar issue after letting it sit. truck was stone dead and boosting it would get it running, but nothing worked powerwise again, again no cluster, can't get mileage, no lights work, etc, and i'm thinking great PCM dead... charging teh fuck out of hte batteries didn't help, and i was convinced it was fucked. Took it to a mechanic shop i trusted (platz auto) and it just had a bad battery.

I think odds are good whoever is working on the truck is just completely guessing and if someone more competent looked at it it probably would have been solved long time ago, possibly with a simple fix.

As i work in a bodyshop, I can also tell you a million stories of dealerships calling for parts vehicles do not need. As far as I'm concerned dealership mechanics troubleshooting ability is 'buy part X, then part Y, then part Z, then rebuy parts XYZ at the same time.'

Thanks

Yeah some of it feels like guess and testing to me, which is one reason i was hoping to help find someone more local to be able to look at the ECU.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks

You also could spent some time calling other dealerships and see if the have a test ecu. Good shops that work on one brand of vehicle should have one. This helps eliminate the guessing. ECUs have been the blame ever since fuel injection came out. In my years of being a mechanic I have never changed one because I could tell it was faulty.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.