Wheels Plus

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick and Dirty Impressions: 2017 Nissan Titan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 829 Posts

Default Quick and Dirty Impressions: 2017 Nissan Titan

Had the chance to test drive a 2017 Nissan Titan for 3 days. Behold my not-so-humble opinion.

First of all, make no bones about it, the thing is Fugly. Good thing tastes are subjective. I had the V8 - not the diesel. I have to say, I was quite surprised by the loud gnarling exhaust note, it sounded really good. However, it got old REAL fast, reminded me a bit of my straight piped 2005 HEMI. It was honestly too loud and obnoxious for a stock pickup.

Sitting behind the wheel, the view from the front is just a gigantic box-like hood. I felt like I was driving a cube can or something. I'm sure it's not nearly as wide as it appeared to be, but it was a very strange optical illusion to get used to. Then there's the interior. The digital dash was nice enough, typical steering wheel controls, etc. But the light switch, the 4x4 shift knob, and other controls on the center console felt unbelievably cheap. Reminded me of a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier or something. Just... Super bottom-of-the-barrel parts. And the column shifter was fucking GIGANTIC and ridiculous looking.

I was also initially confused by the 5" radio screen which was NOT a touch screen. Made it a pain in the ass to bluetooth my phone. Come on! It's 2017! How is it not a touchscreen?! The seats were comfortable enough, and the material seemed of high quality. Driving down the highway, the passenger seat was vibrating so badly that I honestly thought it was going to shake itself right out of the mounting brackets and fly out the window. I honestly have no fucking idea what was wrong. The truck only had 15,000km's on it. To top that off... while I was driving along one of the rear seats collapsed and hit the back of my seat, giving me quite a jolt/surprise.

Now, onto my next issue, which was the traction control. It simply would not stop interfering! I suspect it probably had something to do with the tiny 17" wheels the truck was equipped with, and, the 7-speed transmission which could never find the right gear. But the wheels would spin at the slightest touch of the throttle. I had the displeasure of driving this truck in the rain, and I turned off (do any vehicles this day-and-age actually disable the traction control when you press the button?) the traction control... The tires would spin in first gear, the truck would die, second gear, spin, die, third gear, spin, die. It was honestly awful. And I wasn't driving overly aggressive either, just my normal commute methodology.

Driving at night, the halogen headlights were nice, had a decent cut-off for reflector housings. The ride quality was nice and tight. Steering was quite heavy. I don't really know what else to say about it. Nothing else really jumps out at me. It got decent mileage. Roughly the same as any other pickup I've driven in the past 5'ish years. Averaged around 14-15L/km. It FEELS powerful, but that could just be due to the aforementioned loud exhaust, I suspect it would tow alright. Yeah. Any questions I'd be happy to try and answer. Just felt like sharing my opinion, which literally nobody asked for.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AudiInProgress For This Useful Post:

Cyanide Ride (December 20th, 2017)

Thanks

If you press and hold the TC button, it should turn yellow first to indicate that the TC is off and then while the button is still pressed it, it will turn a different color (green for my subaru) to indicate that the stability control is off which is when the real fun begins.

On my sti, I could turn off the TC and SC in two different steps. In my Jeep, I can't turn off the SC short of pulling out the ABS fuse.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

I know the frontier is a single button press to turn the TC off so I would have assumed the same from a Titan.

What trim level was it?
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks

I drove the Titan a few months ago and I did not really care for it. I just found that Nissan is trying way too hard with it. Everything seems too big and over the top to make it feel like a big truck. Like you said, the truck just feels massive.

I have driven lots of F150/Ram/Sierras and they all feel more nimble and car like. They drive way nicer and still perform well as a truck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MZSPD For This Useful Post:

AudiInProgress (December 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izerous View Post
    I know the frontier is a single button press to turn the TC off so I would have assumed the same from a Titan.

What trim level was it?
    Not sure on the trim level.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Not sure on the trim level.
    With the lack of touch screen Iím going to say the S trim level.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Thanks

Sounds very similiar to how the 1st gen titan drives.

The reason you are spinning so much is the truck is designed to be "punchy", gives you the feeling of power. And the old trucks 5.6 made 320hp and 365tq back in 2004, and let me tell you, our work truck (2011 titan) hauls relative to similiar age rams/chevies/fords.

But same critiques with the older truck. Feels like you are in a box, hard to tell/see your corners, oddly heavy steering for no reason (that is also ridiculously slow steering).

The old 5 speed does stupid shifting all the time as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HiTempguy For This Useful Post:

AudiInProgress (December 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    With the lack of touch screen I’m going to say the S trim level.
    Even base model RAM SXT's have a touchscreen FFS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Even base model RAM SXT's have a touchscreen FFS.
    Thatís the difference between North American and the the rest. They like to load them with bells and whistles to get you to buy. Meanwhile Toyota and Nissan put the money into better engineering.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.