Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Quick and Dirty Impressions: 2017 Nissan Titan

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    I still don't understand the point of having a relatively huge V8 diesel in a heavy half-ton with lower towing capability that existing V6 and V8 half-tons. There is literally zero benefit. First of all, there are lots of problems being reported with that engine. Secondly, the fuel economy is crap. Thirdly, you're paying a massive premium up front for the diesel option.

It's a truck that is not only crap... It just didn't make sense right from the get-go.
    Is this argument not the same for the Ram Eco- Diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Is this argument not the same for the Ram Eco- Diesel?
    Negative. The RAM Eco-Diesel uses a rather small by comparison 3.0L V6 diesel. Which gets INCREDIBLE fuel economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Its for bros to say they have a Cummins without needing a Cummins.
    1993 B2200, S4 13B Swapped, 5-speed, otherwise stock

Negative. The RAM Eco-Diesel uses a rather small by comparison 3.0L V6 diesel. Which gets INCREDIBLE fuel economy.
    Sorry. I was referring to the massive premium paid for what's still a half ton truck that can't tow or haul anything significantly more than a gasser half ton.
    Is that still the case with the EcoDiesel?

Sorry. I was referring to the massive premium paid for what's still a half ton truck that can't tow or haul anything significantly more than a gasser half ton.
    Is that still the case with the EcoDiesel?
    The price of a brand new fully loaded Nissan Titan XD is $75,000
    The price of a brand new fully loaded Ram EcoDiesel is $55,000

You tell me.

The price of a brand new fully loaded Nissan Titan XD is $75,000
    The price of a brand new fully loaded Ram EcoDiesel is $55,000

You tell me.
    Now you're just dodging the question. I don't believe it makes sense for 95% of the buyers to pay the extra for a half ton diesel, regardless of the brand. I don't care if it's Nissan, Ram or fuckin Daewoo. It's a half ton that's A PILE more money that can barely tow or haul more.

You're wearing fanBoi pants and only want to mock the Nissan XD diesel. Are you not?

Now you're just dodging the question. I don't believe it makes sense for 95% of the buyers to pay the extra for a half ton diesel, regardless of the brand. I don't care if it's Nissan, Ram or fuckin Daewoo. It's a half ton that's A PILE more money that can barely tow or haul more.

You're wearing fanBoi pants and only want to mock the Nissan XD diesel. Are you not?
    I am not. (Also, "Dodging" lol.)

The price "premium" for an EcoDiesel is something like $4000 (not exactly what I'd call "A PILE" more money)... VS a big-boy diesel (in any heavy duty pickup) is at least a $10,000-$12,000 option.

You're completely missing the point. The small diesel in the #RAM makes perfect sense; due to the increase in fuel economy. Hence the name "EcoDiesel"

The EcoDiesel #RAM may not be capable of towing/hauling any more than its gasoline counterpart, however it will give you a significant return on investment when it comes to fuel consumption.

The average HEMI RAM gets 15-16L/100km. The EcoDiesel averages 8L/100km. Over the life of the vehicle (whatever you determine "life" to mean) the fuel savings more than offset the cost of the diesel option.

I've just done some simple math. If the EcoDiesel had been available when I purchased my truck, it would have saved me roughly $14,000 in fuel over the past 6 years. So, $4000 up front to opt for the diesel makes sense, and then some.

The EcoDiesel is still more than capable of towing your boat to the lake 3 times a year. Or hauling camping stuff. Or helping your buddy move a couch and bigscreen TV. Same as any other half-ton.

Also, let's face the harsh reality, that 90% of people who buy a pickup truck are using it for taking the kids to school and picking up groceries. Not for towing/hauling. But, if you're going to launch a new heavy-half-ton truck to market, with a relatively large diesel engine, you'd better have something to show for it. And the Nissan simply doesn't. As I said before, it's a truck that just doesn't make sense, and has no target consumer. Seriously, who is going to say; "I want a huge cumbersome truck with a big-ass diesel engine that costs a fortune to buy and run, can't tow more than an F150, and gets horrible reviews!" Fucking sign me up, bro.

While we're on this topic... Let's talk about the fact that the current F150 can tow 13,000lbs, and a Chevrolet 2500HD Diesel can only tow 14,000lbs. Even 3500-series HD pickups can tow a MAXIMUM of 17,000lbs.

Really, if people want to tow or haul something... They should be looking at 3500-Dually's, which can tow 23,000lbs, or, up-to 30,000lbs with specialty transmissions and axle packages.

Speaking of Diesel half tons. Both Ford and Chev are coming out with their own. Ford a V6 Powerstroke and Chev a inline 6 Duramax. Both 3.0L. And I guarantee all 3 of the big 3 trucks will be way better than this Nissan and get better mileage. Meanwhile the Titan can only pull 900lbs more than the Ford. This truck is a waste of money when you have 3 other better options.

Quote Originally Posted by befarrer View Post
    Wasn't that Cummins V8 diesel originally designed for a Ford F150 or one of the American Half tons, then they didn't use it, and Nissan took the engine?
    It was something being worked on between Dodge and Nissan before the Eco-Diesel came out. Then some politics and such and Fiat decided the 1500 ram diesel would get the engine it got instead of the v8 cummins. So Nissan was the only one to still agree on the engine... Toyota was also supposed to get a variant of the engine when Dodge dropped out because Nissan alone could not commit to volume needed or something like that. Not sure if Toyota is still in that position but it seems now that the Titan has been out for a while and people have had a chance to use it Fiat's decision to not go forward with this v8 was the right choice.
    Model View Caffeine