Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum wage and tipping how do you feel?

It's easy to agree it's pretty much a grab bag when deciding to tip delivery drivers, bartenders, pick-up/drive-thru, and coffee shops.

But in actual sit down restaurants, where I'd wager there is much more consistency to tip rates, what I'm curious about most is: if on average if most of us go from, say, 15% now for "standard tip" to 10% "standard tip", are servers seeing a benefit to the wage increase? Because what are we talking about here, every single table is going to tip less vs an extra couple bucks an hour, sounds like they're getting the short end of the stick if you put it like that...

January 1st 2015 minimum wage: $10.20 (Just picking January since it's January now)
    January 1st 2017 minimum wage: $12.20
    January 1st 2018 minimum wage: $13.60
    January 1st 2019 minimum wage: $15.00 (47% increase since 2015, wow?!)

"Quick maths" - Feel free to make up your own mind or come up with a more educated example if you know much about the restaurant industry (I dont).

So if minimum wage has gone from $10.20 to $15.00 an hour in four years, then over an 8 hour shift servers are seeing an extra $38.40 a shift before tax.

Ignoring the pick ups / delivery tip randomness level we've discussed, I hope it's fair to say on average servers at sit down restaurants might see 15% tip in 2015? We all knew they got paid low, and I remember it was more like 10% in 2000, so yea 15% recently?

According to one reference, lets round down your average sit down meal for two costs to $50 bucks. Say an average shift has a server run twenty tables a night (pick a number, but assume it's skewed high as more of them would be working around weekends?)

$50 * 20 = $1000 gross served. Then with the tip reduction 5%*$1000=$50. So that's a $50 dollar tip reduction for a ~$40 wage increase on average? Doesn't sound good, but I picked a lot of those numbers out of thin air. Does your average server doing "$1000" a night on their own sound high? And if this basically just evens it all out in the end, should that make us think it really is just the gov trying to force a correction to tax it more, assuming hiding of tips is even a problem compared to other tax loopholes haha.

Couple interesting 4-page docs with pretty charts and graphs! lol:

Jan 2017 Source - "Alberta Minimum Wage Profile April 2016 - March 2017" - https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3027...ge-profile.pdf

Jan 2015 Source - "Alberta Minimum Wage Profile April 2014 - March 2015" - https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/3027...ge-Profile.pdf

Other possibly interesting things:

- 2016 Alberta Average - Food purchased from restaurants: $3,059 - http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...il132a-eng.htm
    - ~60% of minimum wage earners are female
    - ~55% of minimum wage earners work in "Accommodation and Food Services" & "Retail Trade"
    - Minimum wage earners went from 2.2% of workforce to 5% just between 2015 and 2017!
    Last edited by bung; January 4th, 2018 at 01:49 PM.

Now that servers and shit are being paid a living wage, does that mean we don't have to tip anymore? Because the whole point of it was because most people felt bad about how little they were making and therefore relied on tips to even the gap.

My fucking dry cleaners introduced a tip function. The lady owns the joint! You can't ask for a tip if you fucking own the place.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    Now that servers and shit are being paid a living wage, does that mean we don't have to tip anymore? Because the whole point of it was because most people felt bad about how little they were making and therefore relied on tips to even the gap.

My fucking dry cleaners introduced a tip function. The lady owns the joint! You can't ask for a tip if you fucking own the place.
    "have to tip" - isn't this something that most people only feel at actual sit down restaurants, maybe food delivery? If you feel you have to tip anywhere else that sounds crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post

Registered Massage Therapists do... I bet their hourly$ is higher than 95% of their clients.

Quote Originally Posted by bung View Post
    It's easy to agree it's pretty much a grab bag when deciding to tip delivery drivers, bartenders, pick-up/drive-thru, and coffee shops.

But in actual sit down restaurants, where I'd wager there is much more consistency to tip rates, what I'm curious about most is: if on average if most of us go from, say, 15% now for "standard tip" to 10% "standard tip", are servers seeing a benefit to the wage increase? Because what are we talking about here, every single table is going to tip less vs an extra couple bucks an hour, sounds like they're getting the short end of the stick if you put it like that...
    I feel completely justified as I know so many chicks that make bank as waitresses. You are correct, after tips, a good waitress at a busy/nice restaurant can earn $400+/night. For standing around and barely doing a good job waiting on your table. Sorry, not paying someone $40/h to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    I feel completely justified as I know so many chicks that make bank as waitresses. You are correct, after tips, a good waitress at a busy/nice restaurant can earn $400+/night. For standing around and barely doing a good job waiting on your table. Sorry, not paying someone $40/h to do that.
    So just to clarify, you think we're tipping too much already regardless of the base pay increase?

Damn, $400 on a good night, if that's the case and most people start tipping less then ya I can imagine this is going to cut their total wage down..

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    So it's gone up like $1.50-$2 per year for the past 3 years in a row.
    I wish our CBA in 488 had that kind of rate increase!

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Registered Massage Therapists do... I bet their hourly$ is higher than 95% of their clients.
    I think the same could be said about the brevity of a RMT's career. That is a *lot* of effort to give someone a deep tissue massage for 60-90 minutes. I will happily tip an RMT in that case UNLESS that RMT owns the brick and mortar establishment because then they have lackies and are making a cut on everybody else's stuff. Tipping would be outrageously excessive. Otherwise, RMTs pay a 20-30% cut to the place they're in. Still a good wage though (~$60-$70ish/hr)
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Who I feel sorry for is the poor schmuck who's been grinding away for years and years to finally get the $15/hr through raises at some shit hole in a small town, and then bam.. new hire makes $15/h.