First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Minimum wage and tipping how do you feel?

Thanks

When I went for sushi once, I heard this one cranky ass older lady belittling this one waiter for essentially having an education. He was/is one of the best waiters at the place too -turbo polite, always smiles, chats with you just enough, always attentive, and has common sense.

Dude had just graduated from environmental engineering and this lady went on about how his degree is not useful and a bunch of other stuff, pretty much discouraging the guy. I remember cringing a bit because the guy was forced to listen and smile to this cunt that was passive-aggressively dissing this guy's education.

He was our waiter too so I tried to lighten things up by congratulating him on his recent graduation (couldn't help but to overheard their conversation, etc., etc.) so at the end of our meal, I tipped him $100. Unfortunately, he's still a waiter at the sushi joint after a year. Really nice guy. If he was in IT, I'd have hooked him up in a minute.

Not feeling sorry for the guy, but just wish better for the guy. A bit of a shitty environment to try and find an engineering job so it must be discouraging. I know p.engs that have been out of work for a year.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 2G Toyota 4Runner (22RE) aka Gandalf / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

I've always been pissed off at the notion that tipping was a given. I sure as shit remember when I was in high school running a Badass Jack's that only the girls got tips (which we all split) no matter how hard I busted my ass. Or later, working in the back at chain restaurants (like Moxie's, etc) and getting next to nothing for sweating it out in the dishpit or nearly chopping off finger tips trying to keep up with the prep work load.

As a result, I've never been one to blindly tip. 10% for average service, 5% or nothing to send a message (a couple small coins, even, just to get the point across), and 15-20% for exceptional service/food quality. Always multiples of the GST, lol, and rounded to an even number.

Since we bought a farm, we rarely go out for meals. When we do it's often at Situation Brewing (we feed our pigs/sheep their spent brewer's grain) and tip well because we're kind of in the fold there. Other places I tend to discriminate much more.

After reading this thread, you lot haven't improved my outlook... fuck reflexive tipping. I'm so old I remember the days when it was to reward exemplary service.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Markous View Post
    I wish our CBA in 488 had that kind of rate increase!
    Lost like 70 cents in the maintenance agreement. and 2x time. ugh.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Driven For This Useful Post:

pry4sno (January 6th, 2018)

Thanks

If we look over the years when it comes to pay in general, almost everyone has been taking a pay cut over the years. You have to ask yourself if you’re annual pay increases keep up with inflation. If you look back over the years this increase to minimum wage is just to get it to a realistic number. It’s very sudden and not gradual. It’s something that should increase every year with inflation.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    You and me fucking both. QCCC is split between BM AND UA. We are all getting fucked.

On topic: I rarely tip these days. Service is usually mediocre and lots of waiting etc etc but some times I tip a bit just cause pizza places and whatnot might put your number down on a black list and give you a sneeze pizza if you don't tip. Or that's my fear anyway lol.

Because speed limits, like fears, are often just illusions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    If we look over the years when it comes to pay in general, almost everyone has been taking a pay cut over the years. You have to ask yourself if you’re annual pay increases keep up with inflation. If you look back over the years this increase to minimum wage is just to get it to a realistic number. It’s very sudden and not gradual. It’s something that should increase every year with inflation.
    Minimum for a reason. It's not meant to be a living wage. Ever. If someone wants to earn more they should be required to apply themselves more.

Also the case in Ontario where one Tim Hortons franchise has cut paid breaks and reduced benefits makes me so happy. Those that voted for a higher wage got what they deserved. Those that didn't vote for a higher wage just might leave that shit job forma real one one day. I hope more businesses follow suit and reduce paid breaks or benefits because why should a business have to absorb 20% increases?

Because speed limits, like fears, are often just illusions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    Really glad the braintrust negotiated COLA increases that were tied to $100 bbl of oil prices *ugh
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Wifey mobile

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Minimum for a reason. It's not meant to be a living wage. Ever. If someone wants to earn more they should be required to apply themselves more.

Also the case in Ontario where one Tim Hortons franchise has cut paid breaks and reduced benefits makes me so happy. Those that voted for a higher wage got what they deserved. Those that didn't vote for a higher wage just might leave that shit job forma real one one day. I hope more businesses follow suit and reduce paid breaks or benefits because why should a business have to absorb 20% increases?
    You’re missing my point. I did not say minimum wage needs to be higher because people need to be able to live off of it. I said it needs to be higher to keep up with inflation.

And happened at the Tims is nothing bad. The employees were getting a perk by having their breaks paid for. They are just following the law now.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post

Except you can live off minimum wage, just people are fucking retards and cant budget, always spend out of their means, have fucking shit head children and what not. A lot of them are the ones crying about minimum wage.