Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Minimum wage and tipping how do you feel?

Since when do all folks that have minimum wage jobs have the opportunity to put 40hr/week into them?
    When I worked min wage, there was virtually ZERO chance to get >32hr/week.

Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    That's actually not true. Minus provincial and federal income tax as well as EI and CPP, being generous, take 15% off. You're left with $2040.

$400 is not "basically... zero dollars in tax". For some people, that is a fuck ton of money.
    Plus minimum wage has only been $15 for like two weeks, so roll it back to what it was, then back it off to 32 hours or so. So you're left with a little over $1400 a month. Which is pretty much unlivable at $900 a month rent, especially if you have to own a car and commute. Tack on food, cell phone, etc... it's nothing.

Basically, what he said was $15 an hour as minimum wage makes it a livable wage, which was the whole point of it. And it barely does that.

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentEVO View Post
    Plus minimum wage has only been $15 for like two weeks, so roll it back to what it was, then back it off to 32 hours or so. So you're left with a little over $1400 a month. Which is pretty much unlivable at $900 a month rent, especially if you have to own a car and commute. Tack on food, cell phone, etc... it's nothing.

Basically, what he said was $15 an hour as minimum wage makes it a livable wage, which was the whole point of it. And it barely does that.
    The big dirty secret is that it isn't really about a livable wage. It's about putting more $ in the hands of the poor, because they spend 100% of their money and it gets injected back into the economy. No savings, no vacations where our precious dollars leave Canada, no investments. Just hand-to-mouth living.
    Instead of accomplishing this via making these poor folks' tax ZERO, they chose to burden businesses with paying them 40% more than they did a few years ago. "Suck it, Biz!! Suck it all up!!! We told you we hated you! Now you can FEEL our LeftyWrath!!!"
    Well, they're not so willing to swallow that load. Businesses are finding new ways to reduce staff, cut hours, cut breaks and eliminate positions to maintain their wages (where "wages" are the profits of the business owners).
    Was it even a full 24h after Stage One of this plan that McDonald's rolled in triple the amount of those automated terminals?
    In the end, it's not going to help those who truly needed the help.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    You're a retard. $2k per month net is more than possible wage to live on in the circumstances outlined, so fuck off. And that "$400" is not the tax paid per month, EI and CPP aren't a tax. FFS. Read what I wrote. That's like saying your RRSP investments each month are a tax.

Still completely changes nothing in regards to prior statements said. Its more than enough to live on, even in "super expensive omagherd" Toronto or Vancouver. And we haven't even factored in po' folk benefits/tax credits/welfare schemes yet.
    lol ironic isn't it? You screaming and shouting how we're all retards not reading what you wrote.

Let me break out the crayons for you: I made no argument whether a person can live on the current min wage of $15/hr. Seriously, nowhere have I made any such argument for one side or another.

I just corrected you because you said people making min age "basically pay zero dollars in tax". I low balled the taxes on a person making $15/hr assuming fulltime work @ 40 hours per week (160 hours per month x 12). Said people would pay at least $400 in combined federal and provincial taxes, EI, CPP.

$400 <> $0.

And now you have your panties in a knot.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

I live in the Netherlands and we never give very big tips here.
    Maximum 5% of the total purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Riktune12 View Post
    I live in the Netherlands and we never give very big tips here.
    Maximum 5% of the total purchase.
    what is the min wage?

Surprised I missed this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Since when do all folks that have minimum wage jobs have the opportunity to put 40hr/week into them?
    When I worked min wage, there was virtually ZERO chance to get >32hr/week.
    When I was minimum wage I generally worked 40 hours a week. Get out of school at 3pm, work at 4pm for 4-6 hours. Then work 8 hours Saturday and Sunday as well. But yeah there is a lot of places that will purposely cap you under 40 hours to avoid paying benefits or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    The big dirty secret is that it isn't really about a livable wage. It's about putting more $ in the hands of the poor, because they spend 100% of their money and it gets injected back into the economy. No savings, no vacations where our precious dollars leave Canada, no investments. Just hand-to-mouth living.
    Instead of accomplishing this via making these poor folks' tax ZERO, they chose to burden businesses with paying them 40% more than they did a few years ago. "Suck it, Biz!! Suck it all up!!! We told you we hated you! Now you can FEEL our LeftyWrath!!!"
    Well, they're not so willing to swallow that load. Businesses are finding new ways to reduce staff, cut hours, cut breaks and eliminate positions to maintain their wages (where "wages" are the profits of the business owners).
    Was it even a full 24h after Stage One of this plan that McDonald's rolled in triple the amount of those automated terminals?
    In the end, it's not going to help those who truly needed the help.
    The real dirty secret is that it is just a way to increase taxes invisibly. If minimum wage goes up, then so does the income tax those min wagers pay. Then when business owners raise their prices t cover the increased labor cost, the middle class that buys those products ends up paying more GST for the same product. It's all a big scam to line Government coffers.

Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing.
    Well the one thing you can know for sure, is that if the kitchen or bar gets a cut, they get it no matter what you tip. They aren't getting a portion of your tip, they're getting a percentage of the bill total. So if you leave zero tip, the waitress actually has to pay that 8% kitchen tip out from her own pocket. So you'e not preventing the kitchen from getting fucked when you leave a 5% tip, you're just making sure the waitress doesn't get ultra thunder fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    If we look over the years when it comes to pay in general, almost everyone has been taking a pay cut over the years. You have to ask yourself if you’re annual pay increases keep up with inflation. If you look back over the years this increase to minimum wage is just to get it to a realistic number. It’s very sudden and not gradual. It’s something that should increase every year with inflation.
    If minimum wage increases with inflation, then so should everyone elses wages. And they don't. We would all need like 100% pay increase to match what our parents were making back in the day.
    Last edited by MisterMan; March 27th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.

lol ironic isn't it? You screaming and shouting how we're all retards not reading what you wrote.

Let me break out the crayons for you: I made no argument whether a person can live on the current min wage of $15/hr. Seriously, nowhere have I made any such argument for one side or another.

I just corrected you because you said people making min age "basically pay zero dollars in tax". I low balled the taxes on a person making $15/hr assuming fulltime work @ 40 hours per week (160 hours per month x 12). Said people would pay at least $400 in combined federal and provincial taxes, EI, CPP.

$400 <> $0.

And now you have your panties in a knot.
    Can't believe I missed this. In effect, they pay zero dollars in taxes through subsidies/reimbursements/credits.

But as I said, CPP and EI aren't a tax. So when you don't include those, you are fucking wrong. Because you are a fucking idiot, as has been made very apparent on these forums the past few months

minimum wage doesn't go up to $15 until october, it's $13.60 or something right now, just saying
    Wasting peoples time, cluttering threads and killing threads since May 2008.

Just call me Thread Jack AKA Captain OT.

current ride: WR Blue 2002 Subaru WRX with a 3" catless turbo back exhaust and an AEM cold air intake