LubeFX

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcium Chloride in the Edmonton streets.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Izerous View Post
    75 reported collisions this morning... this stuff sure is working well...

https://globalnews.ca/news/3958934/e...er-january-11/
    Remember the plan was to use this before a snow fall to aid in clearing the roads, not to remove the ice.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Remember the plan was to use this before a snow fall to aid in clearing the roads, not to remove the ice.
    I thought it was also supposed to help prevent ice from forming if sprayed ahead of time not just aid in physical snow removal.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    I've been wondering about this. I'm not arguing you at all but more thinking out loud.

The solution is supposed to aid in the clearing of the roads presumably by melting the snow the moment it hits thereby creating less snow to remove. What I've noticed is that under mild to heavy snow fall, it turns the snow into slush which cars will drive over, but it doesn't actually really allow liquid to drain because it creates damns along the side of the road. I'm going to guess that a lot drains, but a lot also does not.

Real life, snow falls on the solution, melts, and creates more solvent that will either run off the road because of the gradient/camber in the road, stick around and create a standing pool in odd spots, or get carried away by vehicles. Because snow will create slush when not completely melted (heavier snow fall), this will allow water to not drain off properly. Almost anyway you cut it, the solution creates more solvent with the falling snow and, more concerningly, it also creates an increasingly dilute solvent on the road. i.e. the calcium solution loses its efficacy after a certain point.

After the solution has been diluted to the point of not being effective, what we're left with is ice.

vs. let the snow fall sans solution and then clear it. i.e. we're not creating ice.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silence* View Post
    I read (or heard) somewhere that the anti-icing stuff is ineffective under-20 so they don't bother to use it then.
    I have also heard this..

It seems like people are forgetting that this is a PILOT PROGRAM.. The city is just testing this out to determine whether it is effective or not. If it freezes and causes issues (like it did yesterday), then the city can figure out another way to combat that issue. Or.. Maybe they run this pilot and just scrap the CaCl solution.. Who knows. At least they are trying new things because Edmontonians constantly complain about our roads in the winter..

The whole point of this is to generate less spring cleanup and damage from the sand mix and also do a better job at keeping the streets ice free.

IMO, the roads have been much better then year then other years and also I have been to Calgary a few times this year and their roads were way worse then Edmonton and had way more ice and snow on them with the sand mix that they use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MZSPD View Post
    I have also heard this..

It seems like people are forgetting that this is a PILOT PROGRAM.. The city is just testing this out to determine whether it is effective or not. If it freezes and causes issues (like it did yesterday), then the city can figure out another way to combat that issue. Or.. Maybe they run this pilot and just scrap the CaCl solution.. Who knows. At least they are trying new things because Edmontonians constantly complain about our roads in the winter..

The whole point of this is to generate less spring cleanup and damage from the sand mix and also do a better job at keeping the streets ice free.

IMO, the roads have been much better then year then other years and also I have been to Calgary a few times this year and their roads were way worse then Edmonton and had way more ice and snow on them with the sand mix that they use.
    lest you forget, we really haven't had much snow this year.. only a fraction of what Calgary has gotten, so that's apples to oranges.

Personally, I think the roads are worse, normally intersections where people nail the gas and spin their way up to speed was common before now 1/2 way between intersections is slicker than it was without the solution. I stopped riding my bike in the fall because the solution itself is slick, with my truck in 2wd, give it 1/2 throttle while already going 60km/h and the tires loose traction when it's 10 above... there's an issue

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MZSPD View Post
    It seems like people are forgetting that this is a PILOT PROGRAM..
    Cities all over the world have tried it. Its been snowing in Canadian cities since Canada was a thing. This isn't rocket surgery, just like building the SW side of Henday out of concrete was fucking stupid and they should never have done it, this is also stupid.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    Cities all over the world have tried it. Its been snowing in Canadian cities since Canada was a thing. This isn't rocket surgery, just like building the SW side of Henday only 2 lanes was fucking stupid and they should never have done it, this is also stupid.
    this would also be true.

Thanks

If it's like sodium chloride* it won't be effective below -18c or 0 degree's freedom ( what the goofy fahrenheit scale is based on)

*Just looked it up, it's an ammonium chloride based scale, or it was originally.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 826 Posts

We've only had 3 dumps of snow this winter, 2 small ones, 1 big one... And this shit isn't working. And it's rusting vehicles. Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.