Performance-shop.com

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 136 to 144 of 144

Thread: Calcium Chloride in the Edmonton streets.

  1. #136
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    399
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
    What does learning how to drive have to do with a comparison of how slippery things are to previous years? Your driving skill plays absolutely no factor at all in the physics of calculating friction. I see its the same brain dead crew around here.
    Knowledge of driving comes into play with shitty conditions in a huge way. The guy that's driven in these kinds of conditions for 35 years, knows to slow down considerably before turning or leaving a larger gap between himself and the car in front of him when traveling on the road. The new Canadian that's only driven on dry, hot roads, comes to Canada and has no knowledge of what to do when driving on "white stuff" is going to have a much harder time, and more accidents because of the lack of knowledge.

  2. #137
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Deadmonton
    Posts
    441
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 37 Times in 31 Posts

    Default

    So are they not going to drop down any gravel this year, just the plowing and spray? I would have assumed it was a mixed strategy, with worse times like this weekend/week having gravel put down, since these kind of snow conditions usually turn into hard sheets of ice in the neighbourhoods as we drive over it ya?

  3. #138
    Cyanide Ride's Avatar
    Cyanide Ride is offline Crotchety old bastard wrapped bastard filled with bastard Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    12,645
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 255 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bung View Post
    So are they not going to drop down any gravel this year, just the plowing and spray? I would have assumed it was a mixed strategy, with worse times like this weekend/week having gravel put down, since these kind of snow conditions usually turn into hard sheets of ice in the neighbourhoods as we drive over it ya?
    St. Albert got sand, but I don't think we did.
    When negotiations fail, escalate.
    "... And the complacency of fools will destroy them..." Proverbs 1:32
    "When a bird is alive, it eats ants, when the bird dies, ants will eat the bird.
    Time and circumstance can change at anytime so don't devalue or hurt anyone in life.
    You may be powerful today, but remember, Time is more powerful than you."

  4. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,474
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 565 Times in 385 Posts

    Default

    I think we got sand but only in reported areas when people call in.

    Last weekend, the intersection of Ellerslie and Rabbit Hill road on the merge to go north on Rabbit Hill Road from Ellerslie west-bound was completely iced over. I saw about 5 cars piled up into each other, all sideways, etc. I was on my way to the eco station by there. After dumping a couple of couches, on my way back, I had to hit the registry so I had to take that intersection but forgot about the ice -all the cars had cleared by then.

    Taking that icy merge, I saw the car in front of me immediately snap perpendicular to the direction of travel. I tried to slow down but it was completely sheened over in ice. I aimed my tires for the snow near the curbs and slowed down really quickly, but apparently too quick -the truck behind me was barreling down my ass and I saw his truck snap 45% sideways as well while closing in on my.

    Thankfully, I was in the right gear so I hopped the curb and managed to scoot out of the way just in time for the truck to slide past me. Four cars crashed into each other in that moment.

    I went to the registry and did my thing. As I came back to the ecostation to dump a second load, I saw sanders paying very special attention to that intersection. Oddly, they didn't do many other intersections in the area. So, it appears they might do major arteries or intersections when people complain? Just a guess.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

  5. #140
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,777
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 794 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    I think we got sand but only in reported areas when people call in.

    Last weekend, the intersection of Ellerslie and Rabbit Hill road on the merge to go north on Rabbit Hill Road from Ellerslie west-bound was completely iced over. I saw about 5 cars piled up into each other, all sideways, etc. I was on my way to the eco station by there. After dumping a couple of couches, on my way back, I had to hit the registry so I had to take that intersection but forgot about the ice -all the cars had cleared by then.

    Taking that icy merge, I saw the car in front of me immediately snap perpendicular to the direction of travel. I tried to slow down but it was completely sheened over in ice. I aimed my tires for the snow near the curbs and slowed down really quickly, but apparently too quick -the truck behind me was barreling down my ass and I saw his truck snap 45% sideways as well while closing in on my.

    Thankfully, I was in the right gear so I hopped the curb and managed to scoot out of the way just in time for the truck to slide past me. Four cars crashed into each other in that moment.

    I went to the registry and did my thing. As I came back to the ecostation to dump a second load, I saw sanders paying very special attention to that intersection. Oddly, they didn't do many other intersections in the area. So, it appears they might do major arteries or intersections when people complain? Just a guess.
    Unbelievable!
    Good job keeping your shit together on multiple occasions to avoid an accident. Who cares if "it ain't my fault" when you're still stuck at the scene for a few hours and your shit is wrecked.
    I'd like to think I'd be able to do the same thing, but until you're actually in the shit, it's impossible to tell.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JugZ For This Useful Post:

    AudiInProgress (February 5th, 2018)

  7. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    430
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked 137 Times in 103 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
    .

    Taking that icy merge, I saw the car in front of me immediately snap perpendicular to the direction of travel. I tried to slow down but it was completely sheened over in ice.
    I saw something similar happen at 17 st and 76 ave.. I was heading east on 76 ave and stopped at the lights at 17 st.. A big box truck hit the sheeted ice road and snapped perpendicular and ended up rear ending 2 cars.

    At that point he was stuck blocking the entire 76 ave and he could not turn around because he was ditch to ditch..

  8. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle25 View Post
    well if you find that you need to slam on the brakes often then it's probably your fault and one could consider it "slippery" if there's a bit of rain on the roads or something if you're not driving for the conditions

    Yeah maybe you're right. After 22 years of driving in Alberta winters with zero issues, and only 10 of those years with winter tires, it must be my driving skill that is suddenly the issue. These ludicrously slippery intersections must be a figment of imagination and related to my sudden amnesia of brake pedal useage.

    Wow! Some people must be so far up Ivesons ass that they can see his tonsils the way they come up with arguments for this calcium spray. It's a shit idea that isn't working. At what point did I say anything about slamming on my brakes?

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterMan For This Useful Post:

    AudiInProgress (February 12th, 2018), Delphi (February 12th, 2018)

  10. #143
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,935
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked 79 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    i never said i liked this stuff, i generally agree it doesn't seem to be working as well as what we used to do
    Wasting peoples time, cluttering threads and killing threads since May 2008.

    Just call me Thread Jack AKA Captain OT.


    current ride: WR Blue 2002 Subaru WRX with a 3" catless turbo back exhaust and an AEM cold air intake

  11. #144
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    18,727
    Thanks
    4,421
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 815 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
    Yeah maybe you're right. After 22 years of driving in Alberta winters with zero issues, and only 10 of those years with winter tires, it must be my driving skill that is suddenly the issue. These ludicrously slippery intersections must be a figment of imagination and related to my sudden amnesia of brake pedal useage.

    Wow! Some people must be so far up Ivesons ass that they can see his tonsils the way they come up with arguments for this calcium spray. It's a shit idea that isn't working. At what point did I say anything about slamming on my brakes?
    I don't know who you are, Sir... But I like the cut of your jib.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to AudiInProgress For This Useful Post:

    ResidentEVO (February 12th, 2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •