Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcium Chloride in the Edmonton streets.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    We've only had 3 dumps of snow this winter, 2 small ones, 1 big one... And this shit isn't working. And it's rusting vehicles. Awesome.
    When did we have a big dump? I'm still waiting for a big dump :P They applied it initially in the fall.. the roads were slick, we got some snow, it worked great that Monday.. then Tuesday the roads were skating rinks.. and except for the warm up that melted everything, the roads have been shitty since.

On a side note, the spray also makes it harder to spot black ice..

There's no way to make everybody happy. And I certainly don't have any better ideas. I simply cannot believe the number of cars I've been seeing in the ditches and on people's front lawns...

I think better driver training is truly the key here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

that van was just trying to get closer to jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by audiinprogress View Post

i think better driver training is truly the key here.
    mandatory

winter

tires.

Mandatory

drivers

training after an accident or ticket

I don't think "Winter Tires" should be mandatory. Yes, I have them on my vehicle right now, but that's cause I pull people out of the ditch and drive on some sketchy ass roads, and mainly I didn't want to burn off my "Summers". Last year I ran on All-Terrain "All Seasons" that are also Severe Weather rated, and I didn't feel winter last year was bad enough to warrant putting on my winters. I drove for years on used shit ass H rate and V rated summer tires in the winter without an issue, because I knew how to drive my car, I went to a parking lot and learned how it handled in a slide and learned how to correct it.

Driver training however... yes. we need that.. not after a ticket or accident, but actual training before you can get anything above a learners license. And not the BS shit that gets taught now.. that teaches you just enough to pass your road test. More like Germany's system, where you have to learn to drive in the summer and Winter. And crack down on that "If you know a guy and pay him, he'll say you passed your road test" shit.

I also think all these driving aids such as lane assist, esp, traction control, etc etc.. are creature comforts and a detriment to driving ability, and people should be required to learn how to drive without them, then they can have them.

quality driver training is the key. Is there any driver training course in edmonton that even teaches avoidance and recovery techniques? I seriously doubt it.

What to do on black ice, when u dip 2 tires on the shoulder, when your car starts to spin, how to avoid something without hitting it or going in to the ditch, etc are things no one understands what to do. If you attempt to teach someone this in a parking lot, you get a stunting ticket.

teaching accident avoidance theory too would help even more as well. Too many people think 'the other guy' is to blame for everything when tehy are too stupid to realize if you can avoid an accident you do, and it takes 2 to get in an car on car accident.

I also am very against mandatory winter tires, but i also can't imagine driving a car in witner without winter tires. I do not like governments telling me what i have to equip my car with. illogically i have no problem with governments telling people what they need to do to qualify for a drivers license as far as training goes.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    I also am very against mandatory winter tires, but i also can't imagine driving a car in witner without winter tires. I do not like governments telling me what i have to equip my car with. illogically i have no problem with governments telling people what they need to do to qualify for a drivers license as far as training goes.
    Yes, but when taken in the context of not spending tax payers dollars foolishly on so much plowing/sanding/calcium chloride dumping, does that change your opinion?

Because that's my viewpoint. I can't possibly imagine how much it costs us to do all these things (including in damaged infrastructure, something that is rarely taken into account) vs requiring everyone to buy a $300 set of Walmart winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    Yes, but when taken in the context of not spending tax payers dollars foolishly on so much plowing/sanding/calcium chloride dumping, does that change your opinion?

Because that's my viewpoint. I can't possibly imagine how much it costs us to do all these things (including in damaged infrastructure, something that is rarely taken into account) vs requiring everyone to buy a $300 set of Walmart winter tires.
    agreed. Thats why I couldn't care less if they actually implemented winter tires if they got rid of sand and solution coating, but we all know the $afety people and lowest common denominators wouldn't let htat happen. I just few another law as another law, without any thought to removing any policies...... government...... fuck.

also, it actually really does annoy me that we are spraying this shit so that some fuck can drive on the henday with summer tires and not crash, meanwhile we have 100000 people driving around with barely visible windshields from teh constant spray that instantly dries as soon as it hits a windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    quality driver training is the key. Is there any driver training course in edmonton that even teaches avoidance and recovery techniques? I seriously doubt it.
    CTEC does, i don't know to what extent.

Which is funny, cause there's Federal Standard 108 and the Alberta Vehicle Equipment Regulations, that do just that.

You know.. when I was in Athabasca, my road was never plowed, and it only became an issue come spring when we all of a sudden 12" packed snow turned to slush, which was only an issue for small cars and my neighbour who kept bringing an empty 5 ton flat bed home. I think I would be fine if they didn't plow the roads. The issue would be you'd have people driving on the center median because they couldn't see the curb.

$300 for a set of tires... LOL... my tires were/are $350 each.