Garage 104

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcium Chloride in the Edmonton streets.

Thanks

blizzacs from costco for my half-ton were under $800 all in installed. will last easily 4 winters. so less then $200 a year for the peace of mind. worth it to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    blizzacs from costco for my half-ton were under $800 all in installed. will last easily 4 winters. so less then $200 a year for the peace of mind. worth it to me.
    This. I don't think I've ever paid >$900 for Blizzaks.
    $300 is BertStare.jpg

Thanks

I think the cheapest set of tires I have ever bought were around $450 installed for goodyear nordics (225/60R16) but that was almost 10 years ago now and I didn't intend to run them this winter but a new set just didn't work out. Still ok and way better in this weather than the tires i use in summer, just can tell they don't grip like when they were newer.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 607 Posts

Only time i piad more than 800 for blizzaks was form cummins cuz they were E-load rated w685s or whatever. anyway, $300 is a pipe dream, but I equipped my wife's lexus with winters for $340, and ya they're chinese winters, but they're fine, actually more than fine. I did my bmw for <$400 for 225/45/18s. I bought blizzaks for my last bmw for <800 at costco for 225/40/18s. I bought blizzaks for my GMC from costco for $640.

Now driving on winters I figure 4 winters is probably the minimum i'll get out of a set of winter tires, and I usually sell them after 2 winters for a significant chunk of what i bought them for. Also add to the fact that you aren't wearing out your normal tires and are probably doubling their life, and really the only cost IMO is either buying rims, or getting them swapped over. I go the buy extra used rims route, because i can sell those also for what I paid for them, or 9/10 times make a profit. There is almost no extra cost in the long term for driving on winters and summer tires vs some shitty all-season death treads. The first time you dont put your car in to the rear end of someone else your winters just paid for themselves for the rest of your life also.

And i'm with hightempguy if someone can't tell the difference between winters and all-terrains, that is worrisome. Tires make a huge difference, which is why often the biggest expense for a racer is not fuel, or registration, or maintenance, but tires.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    Only time i piad more than 800 for blizzaks was form cummins cuz they were E-load rated w685s or whatever. anyway, $300 is a pipe dream, but I equipped my wife's lexus with winters for $340, and ya they're chinese winters, but they're fine, actually more than fine. I did my bmw for <$400 for 225/45/18s. I bought blizzaks for my last bmw for <800 at costco for 225/40/18s. I bought blizzaks for my GMC from costco for $640.

Now driving on winters I figure 4 winters is probably the minimum i'll get out of a set of winter tires, and I usually sell them after 2 winters for a significant chunk of what i bought them for. Also add to the fact that you aren't wearing out your normal tires and are probably doubling their life, and really the only cost IMO is either buying rims, or getting them swapped over. I go the buy extra used rims route, because i can sell those also for what I paid for them, or 9/10 times make a profit. There is almost no extra cost in the long term for driving on winters and summer tires vs some shitty all-season death treads. The first time you dont put your car in to the rear end of someone else your winters just paid for themselves for the rest of your life also.

And i'm with hightempguy if someone can't tell the difference between winters and all-terrains, that is worrisome. Tires make a huge difference, which is why often the biggest expense for a racer is not fuel, or registration, or maintenance, but tires.
    You talking about those summimoto's (or however they're spelt)?

Thanks

I notice a difference, but not enough to make the purchase worthwhile. I guess it's because I've never really had a set and know how to drive properly for the conditions.

Thanks

anyway, $300 is a pipe dream,
    Sure, but he's bitching about the cost when his aren't realistic. And if the cost mattered that much to some hypothetical individual against mandatory winter tires, they'd be driving a vehicle that took >$300 tires. 15" and under winters are readily available for around that price.

And really, it isn't a cost. You are essentially extending the life of your other tires, it shouldn't be viewed as an additional cost, just one you are paying sooner.

Versus all the negatives of salting the FUCK out of the roads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fgramegna View Post
    You talking about those summimoto's (or however they're spelt)?
    Another chinese brand. Haida.

I like tires. i've owned a lot. Odds are good if its a dedicated winter tire or a maximum performance summer tire if you name it, I probably drove on it. Chinese winters aren't bad. IMO some are likely stealing their compound from big name brands so imo unless you are going with a top end tire, i dont see too much disadvantage with rolling the dice and going with the chinese stuff. The disadvantage i notice with them is they are often very soft, so if you're hard on them when its warm out, they could wear out fairly quick. That said my 335i is on year 2 of running haida's and they're still around 80-90%

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickXeo View Post
    drive properly for the conditions.
    yes yes 30 under the limit in the left lane and all that . If you've never been in an accident, i'll blindly agree with you even without seeing you drive that you do know how to drive the conditions (hopefully not 30kph under the limit in the left lane :P).

But the problem is not knowing how to drive the conditions, its having almost every other vehicle on the road being able to stop far sooner then you. If everyone drove on all-seasons, fine, but they dont, so you're at a huge disadvantage if some faggot changes lanes in front of you and then decides to stop for the light right in front of you. If you're leaving a safe gap in front of you you probably have every idiot and their dog changing lanes in front of you on the highway as well, at least I find that to be the case on the henday.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zhao For This Useful Post:

EM2FTL (January 22nd, 2018), pry4sno (January 14th, 2018)