Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcium Chloride in the Edmonton streets.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    yes yes 30 under the limit in the left lane and all that . If you've never been in an accident, i'll blindly agree with you even without seeing you drive that you do know how to drive the conditions (hopefully not 30kph under the limit in the left lane :P).

But the problem is not knowing how to drive the conditions, its having almost every other vehicle on the road being able to stop far sooner then you. If everyone drove on all-seasons, fine, but they dont, so you're at a huge disadvantage if some faggot changes lanes in front of you and then decides to stop for the light right in front of you. If you're leaving a safe gap in front of you you probably have every idiot and their dog changing lanes in front of you on the highway as well, at least I find that to be the case on the henday.
    Im rarely in the left lane. I am also constantly watching other drivers. The only accident I was in was a week after I got my license when a woman ran a red light and hit me. I am well aware of my stopping/turning/etc and so I plan that everyone else who is in front of me (or beside me) can stop better and everyone behind me stops worse. I've avoided hundreds of more accidents than I've been in, so I think I am doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickXeo View Post
    Im rarely in the left lane. I am also constantly watching other drivers. The only accident I was in was a week after I got my license when a woman ran a red light and hit me. I am well aware of my stopping/turning/etc and so I plan that everyone else who is in front of me (or beside me) can stop better and everyone behind me stops worse. I've avoided hundreds of more accidents than I've been in, so I think I am doing okay.
    Talk to us when you can sense the tremendous difference between NO-season tires and winter tires.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Talk to us when you can sense the tremendous difference between NO-season tires and winter tires.
    Maybe cheap all seasons, but all terrains are a different animal. My A/T tires all have had the 'snowflake' symbol on them. I can't recall having a set of tires that did not...

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    Yeah, in for finding out where to get cheap and good tires for a reasonable price.
    PMCtire.com or costco

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    Another chinese brand. Haida.

I like tires. i've owned a lot. Odds are good if its a dedicated winter tire or a maximum performance summer tire if you name it, I probably drove on it. Chinese winters aren't bad. IMO some are likely stealing their compound from big name brands so imo unless you are going with a top end tire, i dont see too much disadvantage with rolling the dice and going with the chinese stuff. The disadvantage i notice with them is they are often very soft, so if you're hard on them when its warm out, they could wear out fairly quick. That said my 335i is on year 2 of running haida's and they're still around 80-90%
    I have had some cheap chinese Saliuns on my car for 3 winters now and they are okay. They are definitely good enough for a winter tire but IMO they just dont have the temperature range or dry handling like a top tier (michelin or blizzak).

For instance, my wife's RDX has a X ice latitude and on the highway, it feels just like a all season tire and feels stable whereas my saliun just feels like mush with lots of body roll and super soft sidewalls.

I think if I was to just do city driving then the saliun does the job but if I was doing lots of highway driving, then I would buy the michelins or blizzaks.

I don't care what you guys say... Nobody is selling 20" winter Truck tires for $300/set. Not even used.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    I don't care what you guys say... Nobody is selling 20" winter Truck tires for $300/set. Not even used.
    That's what I've been trying to say.. hell pmctrie has "Sailun" tires for $176.89/ea right now.. So still $800/set with shipping and you still need to pay install..

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    Nobody said that anywhere. And if you have a vehicle with 20" rims, you can certainly afford an $800 set of tires. Of course, as also stated (if you know, you actually read the responses rather than just wanting to post as soon as you saw winter tires for $300), there would be a cost reduction in your taxes.

I get that its a hard concept to grasp, but try to keep up mkay?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    Yes, but when taken in the context of not spending tax payers dollars foolishly on so much plowing/sanding/calcium chloride dumping, does that change your opinion?

Because that's my viewpoint. I can't possibly imagine how much it costs us to do all these things (including in damaged infrastructure, something that is rarely taken into account) vs requiring everyone to buy a $300 set of Walmart winter tires.
    And maybe you should stop making blanket statements that don't apply. You said "Everyone".

PS. I don't drive a larger vehicle purely because I want to, a smaller vehicle Day to Day like my wife's Civic would literally cripple me.. worse than I already am.
    Last edited by SilverNeonRacer; January 15th, 2018 at 12:07 PM.