Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Thread: Any info/recommendations on hot water tanks?

Default Any info/recommendations on hot water tanks?

Any tips for buying a new one?

Mine on the acreage was right f*&ked when I bought the place, but I've been putting it off. It still works fine, but my hot water is rusty as all hell and I want to fix that

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.r...000792348.html

https://www.rona.ca/en/gas-water-heater-49295016

I just want it to be cheap. Its running off of crappy well water. Would either of these suffice? Is there any reason not to go with Rheem or Best?

Never been in this position before. I don't know much about hot water tanks. Just would love to finally be free of rusty water! (My cold water is crystal clear, not a well problem. Well, the "well" definitely needs a good shocking, but that's for the spring time).

I'd get the Rheem as it has the newer style ignition. I was replacing an older John Wood.

Rheem, John Wood, Bradford White are the main water heaters I've seen. Not sure the quality on Whirlpool. I just replaced mine with a Rheem 9 year warranty from HD

https://www.amresupply.com/part/M-I-...S-ENERGY-SAVER
    Last edited by DJ Rice; January 15th, 2018 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    Any tips for buying a new one?

Mine on the acreage was right f*&ked when I bought the place, but I've been putting it off. It still works fine, but my hot water is rusty as all hell and I want to fix that

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.r...000792348.html

https://www.rona.ca/en/gas-water-heater-49295016

I just want it to be cheap. Its running off of crappy well water. Would either of these suffice? Is there any reason not to go with Rheem or Best?

Never been in this position before. I don't know much about hot water tanks. Just would love to finally be free of rusty water! (My cold water is crystal clear, not a well problem. Well, the "well" definitely needs a good shocking, but that's for the spring time).
    Have you tried flushing the tank, to get some of the rust/sediment out?

Quote Originally Posted by krmitlovesbacon View Post
    Have you tried flushing the tank, to get some of the rust/sediment out?
    House has slab heat, tough to do in the winter time. Technically, I don't know if the system is "up to code" running both the tap water and underfloor off the same system... but the house was signed off on when built, and the county doesn't care, so I just am making it work as cheap as possible.

The well wasn't maintained which led to some pretty nasty water circulating for a long time. Being that the tank is 10 years old, combined with the crazy amount of buildup in the toilet tank/on the tapsets, I'm certain it is right f*&ked. I'd rather spend the $500-$600 and install a new tank myself, vs spend $100 and all the other work.

I do appreciate the suggestion, its just really difficult to dump the tank right now with the current setup. To do it without replacing the tank would be kind of a waste IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Rice View Post
    I'd get the Rheem as it has the newer style ignition. I was replacing an older John Wood.

Rheem, John Wood, Bradford White are the main water heaters I've seen. Not sure the quality on Whirlpool. I just replaced mine with a Rheem 9 year warranty from HD

https://www.amresupply.com/part/M-I-...S-ENERGY-SAVER
    Thank you for the info sir!

House has slab heat, tough to do in the winter time. Technically, I don't know if the system is "up to code" running both the tap water and underfloor off the same system... but the house was signed off on when built, and the county doesn't care, so I just am making it work as cheap as possible.

The well wasn't maintained which led to some pretty nasty water circulating for a long time. Being that the tank is 10 years old, combined with the crazy amount of buildup in the toilet tank/on the tapsets, I'm certain it is right f*&ked. I'd rather spend the $500-$600 and install a new tank myself, vs spend $100 and all the other work.

I do appreciate the suggestion, its just really difficult to dump the tank right now with the current setup. To do it without replacing the tank would be kind of a waste IMO.

Thank you for the info sir!
    Isn't it right next to a floor drain, by code?
    There should be a tap at the bottom of the tank precisely for this that you can attach a garden hose to and lead it clean & direct to a floor drain.
    (Not arguing with your other logic, just sayin)...

No drain. House was built in 99 and again, its out in the county so I dont know about differences in building codes (never had a house either with slab).

Im also on septic, would prefer to avoid dumping the whole tank into there along with all the flushing.

Trust me, whole thing is a clusterfuck. I knew that when signing up for this haha. There is plumbing I can drain the tank into when I go to replace it, but Id rather just run a hose outside.

Couple things come to mind.

Your boiler for the in-floor radiant heat will want to see treated water, so the temporary hardness doesn't build up in your system like scale in a coffee kettle.

The rust in your HWT is likely due to a consumed anode, which is in there as a sacrificial rod that is eaten away instead of rusting the inside of the tank. They're cheap, and easy to replace. While you're at it, replace the dip tube, they're like $10 and it's easy preventative maintenance. Our brand new (well, < 1 yr) Rheem keeps tripping a flammable gas vapour sensor whenever it senses dust, so there's no guarantee that a new one will be implicitly better.

If you're really averse to refurbing the tank (I would, as there really isn't much to them... it's just an insulated metal tank), my gf works at Emco and can probably get you a sick deal over what you'd get at HD. PM me if you're interested.

Either way, good luck.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

Maybe I've been overthinking things and should give it a try. The tank seems to work fine.

My concern is the buildup.might be too much. The inside of the flush tank on the toilet is almost a 1/2" thick:

http://www.allbacteria.com/iron-bacteria.html

I had a tapset in the mudroom that was just a solid mass of this crap, it was crazy. I'll PM you

Maybe I've been overthinking things and should give it a try. The tank seems to work fine.

My concern is the buildup.might be too much. The inside of the flush tank on the toilet is almost a 1/2" thick:

http://www.allbacteria.com/iron-bacteria.html

I had a tapset in the mudroom that was just a solid mass of this crap, it was crazy. I'll PM you
    This^.
    Get rid of it and maintain the new one.
    Seriously consider a dedicated tiny one for the floor, though.