Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are pre-nups a thing now???

Cyanide Ride is offline Crotchety old bastard wrapped bastard filled with bastard Moderator

Default Are pre-nups a thing now???

I heard this on the way into work today.

80% of listeners want pre-nups?

Because life is "fluid?" you fall in and out of love?

If you're unsure or don't trust someone, don't marry them?.
    When negotiations fail, escalate.
    "... And the complacency of fools will destroy them..." Proverbs 1:32
    "When a bird is alive, it eats ants, when the bird dies, ants will eat the bird.
    Time and circumstance can change at anytime so don't devalue or hurt anyone in life.
    You may be powerful today, but remember, Time is more powerful than you."

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanide Ride View Post
    I heard this on the way into work today.

80% of listeners want pre-nups?

Because life is "fluid?" you fall in and out of love?

If you're unsure or don't trust someone, don't marry them?.

What does trust have to do with anything? Sometimes life changes and theres nothing you can do about it. From a mans point of view, why would you want to lose half your shit because of unforseen circumstances? And from a womens point of view, why would you want to fight your ex in court for 3 years to get half his shit and hand it all over to the lawyer to cover his/her fees? With a prenup you decide up front what is fair while you don't hate someone on the front end, and then there's no fighting and BS on the back end if god forbid something happens.

Only way I would do a pre-nup would be if myself or my girlfriend had prior business/es with family etc. I wouldn't want my failed relationship to potentially affect my family financially.

you have insurance on your car. you have insurance on you house. why not have insurance on your marriage.
    i do not have a prenup as i'm a poor asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
    What does trust have to do with anything? Sometimes life changes and theres nothing you can do about it. From a mans point of view, why would you want to lose half your shit because of unforseen circumstances? And from a womens point of view, why would you want to fight your ex in court for 3 years to get half his shit and hand it all over to the lawyer to cover his/her fees? With a prenup you decide up front what is fair while you don't hate someone on the front end, and then there's no fighting and BS on the back end if god forbid something happens.
    That is NOT how a prenup works.

A prenup only protects assets before marriage, and even then, is not a guarantee.

I don't think I could bring myself to do a prenup, even though it is highly likely my income would be higher than my theoretical gf/wife (has been the case with all my ex's so far). Even in the off chance it would help, I view it as undermining the relationship off the bat. I also couldn't ever marry someone I did not trust 100%.

And I don't mean trust like so many idiots do "Oh, I know everything there is to know about this person, they are great" (person is off in the corner robbing someone while smoking meth). I mean an actual, real relationship that involves trust and respect.

As the OP said, if you don't trust them, why on EARTH would you marry them? Or if you don't believe it will last, WHY MARRY THEM?

Never bet half your shit you'll love someone forever.

I talked to a lawyer about this prior to marriage, mainly because my wife had a decent amount of assets, and my income is a fair bit higher than hers so we were curious. We ended up deciding a pre-nup was completely pointless.

Traceable pre existing assets dont need a pre-nup to follow the owner of them through the start and end of a marriage and come out unscathed. Example: So if you own 3 rental properties paid in full, or 500k sitting in a mutual fund, and dont do anythign with that stuff for 10 years, pre-nup or no pre-nup, you aren't entitled to your spouses pre-existing assets and she isn't entitled to your rental property or mutual funds or whatever.

If you muddy the waters with where the money is going however, that's when it gets difficult to get your assets back. So say you liquidate taht mutual fund, use it as a down payment for a car and a house, and then sell the car, and she uses her money to renovate the house, and then u buy another car, but she drives it, and then she trades it in and then you sell the house, and buy 2 rental properties with the money and move in to one of ur others, and she pays to renovate that, and randomly you take 3 years off work and live off some of your liquidated mutual fund, but also briefly take up snorting cocaine too, blah blah blah. Now it is a giant clusterfuck of tracing where your money went.

Also, my opinion is people who fight out dividing 5 figures in assets are fucking stupid, thier friends are stupid, and their family is stupid (because who do u think gives them shitty advice to hire a lawyer and spend years in court) so don't marry someone stupid, or batshit crazy, and if they have stupid or batshit crazy friends, tehy're probably stupid too.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    That is NOT how a prenup works.

A prenup only protects assets before marriage, and even then, is not a guarantee.

I don't think I could bring myself to do a prenup, even though it is highly likely my income would be higher than my theoretical gf/wife (has been the case with all my ex's so far). Even in the off chance it would help, I view it as undermining the relationship off the bat. I also couldn't ever marry someone I did not trust 100%.

And I don't mean trust like so many idiots do "Oh, I know everything there is to know about this person, they are great" (person is off in the corner robbing someone while smoking meth). I mean an actual, real relationship that involves trust and respect.

As the OP said, if you don't trust them, why on EARTH would you marry them? Or if you don't believe it will last, WHY MARRY THEM?

That's actually exactly how a prenup works. But ok. We know your love of arguing, so call it whatever you want.

50% of people on average(80% of people in Alberta), marry people they trust that they expect will last. And end up eating crow in the long run. So how does trusting someone equate to not needing a prenup?

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post

Traceable pre existing assets dont need a pre-nup to follow the owner of them through the start and end of a marriage and come out unscathed. Example: So if you own 3 rental properties paid in full, or 500k sitting in a mutual fund, and dont do anythign with that stuff for 10 years, pre-nup or no pre-nup, you aren't entitled to your spouses pre-existing assets and she isn't entitled to your rental property or mutual funds or whatever.

And yet that has no bearing on whether she can find a bloodsucking lawyer to try and come after you for pre-existing assets regardless. Sure you might keep them in the end, but you could have a 100k$ lawyer bill on your hands.