Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric car

Default Electric car

HI to all !

any experienced electric car drivers ?
    how does it really do over winter cold ?

Appreciated !

No!
    Sorry I don’t!
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

No point in buying one here, our Gov't doesn't give any incentives like BC/Ontario.

Isn't an electric car in the grand scheme of things more polluting? The manufacture requires material more polluting to the world to make. Plus, the electricity comes from burning coal, which is bad for environment according to NDP, and to dispose is more unfriendly too.

I wonder what people would think if you charged your electric car with a gas generator, which has minimal to no pollution control?
    Last edited by befarrer; February 27th, 2018 at 12:39 PM.

electricity can be generated by solar or wind too, there certainly isn't a lot of that here but in the future it would be, i have often wondered about the environmental impact of all the fancy chemicals or whatever they use to make an electric car though, i assume that in the future all of that could be recycled to make new cars though too
    Wasting peoples time, cluttering threads and killing threads since May 2008.

Just call me Thread Jack AKA Captain OT.

current ride: WR Blue 2002 Subaru WRX with a 3" catless turbo back exhaust and an AEM cold air intake

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle25 View Post
    electricity can be generated by solar or wind too, there certainly isn't a lot of that here but in the future it would be, i have often wondered about the environmental impact of all the fancy chemicals or whatever they use to make an electric car though, i assume that in the future all of that could be recycled to make new cars though too
    I had put some consideration into something like a Outlander Phev (not quite available yet) and a solar array on the garage/house. The cost for the vehicle + panels + install etc ends up being quite large though, can cut some costs by going with something like a Nissan Leaf or really burn a budget with a tesla vehicle. On the limited range from something like an Outlander PHEV though I should be able to deal with my commute and current typically running around on almost nearly all electric power. The problem is if you install a battery bank to store the solar power when the vehicle isn't plugged in your adding even more to the impact with a wall of batteries. The most practical approach seems like it might be to feed right back into the grid to simply offset your electric bill, enough solar panels and they would potentially be giving you money every month and still charge the vehicle.

Panels have come down in cost more recently but still to do the above with current prices would still take quite the budget.
    Model View Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle25 View Post
    They actually did a study on it. Front to back consideration, electric cars are more polluting than gas ones, IF coal is the source for electricity.

I know windmills have a crazy pay back time. And they're made out of materials that require a bunch of dirty mining and whatnot.

I was wondering about the stuff used to make solar panels. That's the one real form of green energy we have, the rest is smoke and mirrors. But i imagine the raw materials that go into making a photo cell are not clean either.

Ya, because that makes complete fucken sense. Let’s make something that’s worse for the environment. People need to stop getting their info from Facebook and the chatter where they work. There are multiple studies that prove that all of these environmental friendly products are just that. There even studies that take into consideration how the employees get to their jobs at the plant.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebor View Post
    HI to all !

any experienced electric car drivers ?
    how does it really do over winter cold ?

Appreciated !
    Your range will be pretty much cut in half in really cold weather. It would suck owning one here.