Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric car

There was an interesting thread on Reddit Edmonton this winter about this. A few tesla owners chimed in saying that in sub -20C weather they were seeing 30%-50% less range than optimal.
    1987 951 - M193 Version for Japan

2015 Jeep Wrangler
    2015 Subaru Impreza
    2005 Chevy 2500 HD

1819398 1820636 1820914 1821955 1827550 1832642 1834167 1834511 1843685 1845926 1846867 1858945 1870608

Quote Originally Posted by chrenan View Post
    There was an interesting thread on Reddit Edmonton this winter about this. A few tesla owners chimed in saying that in sub -20C weather they were seeing 30%-50% less range than optimal.
    I’d be amazed if that surprised anyone, really. It’s simply a fact that batteries don’t do well in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentEVO View Post
    I’d be amazed if that surprised anyone, really. It’s simply a fact that batteries don’t do well in the cold.
    Isn't it also coupled with the extra load retired to heat the cabin?

If we invest in windmills and solar and all that, keep in mind that the electrical grid demand used to charge electric vehicles is almost nothing. If everyone drove electric cars, I would expect our electricity demand as a whole to double. It takes a bunch of windmills or solar panels occupying a bunch of space to power a small area now, with the increased demand, would power even less, unless significant advancements are made in the windmill or solar field.
    1993 B2200, S4 13B Swapped, 5-speed, otherwise stock

some quick googling lead me to some estimates that to power alberta with only solar it would require about 115,000 ha of solar panels, if you spread that out over the province you'd barely notice it, sure if we were all driving electric cars it would be a bit more, but you still probably wouldn't notice. to power the whole world it would only need a space about the size of spain, which again spread out over the world is very little, and that's if 100% of the power was generated with solar, which will probably never happen
    Wasting peoples time, cluttering threads and killing threads since May 2008.

Just call me Thread Jack AKA Captain OT.

current ride: WR Blue 2002 Subaru WRX with a 3" catless turbo back exhaust and an AEM cold air intake

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle25 View Post
    some quick googling lead me to some estimates that to power alberta with only solar it would require about 115,000 ha of solar panels, if you spread that out over the province you'd barely notice it, sure if we were all driving electric cars it would be a bit more, but you still probably wouldn't notice. to power the whole world it would only need a space about the size of spain, which again spread out over the world is very little, and that's if 100% of the power was generated with solar, which will probably never happen
    A lot more. Especially if most were charging at night on 220V 60amp. The current power grid could not handle it.

I remember talking with a libtard this summer who was jacked up on her purchase of a Prius.

I asked her what was the source of power that recharges her vehicle.

Mentioned in most places it's still coal.

Then also mentioned that the (money and environmental) cost to safely dispose of the batteries (let alone replace) is very high.

Further mentioned the fact that Bolivia is sitting on the world's largest deposit of lithium that's mined to produce modern battery cells. What do you think the EH&S standards are like there, let alone labour standards? Right. Didn't consider that social impact, did you?

haha

Finally referenced a now ancient (~10 years old?) letter from the then editor of Car & Driver (Csaba Csere) who proved that the emissions improvement of a Prius was out weighed by it's cumulative GHG impact versus driving a HUMMER over the life cycle of the two vehicles.

*mind, blown.
    Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// Farmenwagen

1992 Audi 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled

1990 Audi Coupé quattro /// Because Racecar

Quote Originally Posted by pry4sno View Post
    Mentioned in most places it's still coal.
    Not in Canada, it's not. Coal only makes up 10% of power generated here, and it's mainly in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Ontario, BC, and Quebec have zero coal power now; same with some of the Maritimes. Canada gets 60% of it's electricity from hydro-electric power plants, and we get most of our power out east from hydro and nuclear.

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentEVO View Post
    Not in Canada, it's not. Coal only makes up 10% of power generated here, and it's mainly in Alberta and Saskatchewan. Ontario, BC, and Quebec have zero coal power now; same with some of the Maritimes. Canada gets 60% of it's electricity from hydro-electric power plants, and we get most of our power out east from hydro and nuclear.
    How's that hydro bill in Ontario treating you? Like seriously is it as bad as the internet makes it out to be?