Lexus of Edmonton

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1-TON TRUCK opinions/recommendations wanted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 815 Posts

Default 1-TON TRUCK opinions/recommendations wanted

So, this is going to be just like my previous SUV thread, where I basically already know what I want... But am also open to input from others.

#RAM

/thread

In all seriousness, here's my current situation; the current farm truck is a 2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Extended Cab 4x4 6.6L Duramax. It's rated to tow 14,300lbs.

Last year we got a new gooseneck trailer that's 10,000lbs dry, and 17,000lbs fully loaded. We have no present plans to load the trailer to capacity. Last year we loaded it half full, guesstimating weight at around 13,500lbs. Towed from Edmonton to Ponoka, Red Deer, Calgary, etc. multiple times. It was fine. Although after the very first trip, I decided I needed to install airbags on the truck, which was a big improvement.

We also like to travel to the USA (Idaho, Arizona, etc), and, more importantly... This year we might want to go to BC. And I know one trip previously, with the 5th wheel travel trailer, which is rated around 12,000lbs - the truck had issues towing in the mountains. Transmission overheated and had to pull off and wait an hour for things to cool down.

Now, I've also been told that there are laws in BC about hauling large trailers, whereby you must be using a dually? I don't know if there's any truth to that, and admittedly asking here is the first bit of research I've even remotely considered.

So, here comes the part where we want to load even more weight onto the new trailer, we want to be driving mountain ranges with ease... And we're thinking it's time for a new truck.

My current research is as follows;

RAM 3500 Single-Rear-Wheel Towing Capacity = 17,000lbs
    RAM 3500 Dual-Rear-Wheel Towing Capacity = 23,000lbs (30,000 with AISIN)

SIERRA 3500 Single-Rear-Wheel Towing Capacity = 17,000lbs
    SIERRA 3500 Dual-Rear-Wheel Towing Capacity = 23,000lbs

F350 Single-Rear-Wheel Towing Capacity = 17,000lbs (BRAND NEW 2018 RATING = 20,000lbs)
    F350 Dual-Rear-Wheel Towing Capacity = 23,000lbs (BRAND NEW 2018 RATING = 31,000bs) WITH 4.30 GEARS

For arguments sake, let's say that at some point we do fully load (or even accidentally overload) the new trailer. We're at or above 17,000lbs. Which means pretty much every 1-ton that's NOT a dually is out-of-the-question.

I'm hesitant to buy a brand new 2017/2018 F350 because it's the first model year of a new generation. That being said, if the F350 non-dually is truly capable of towing 20,000lbs maybe that's an option to consider? It would be way easier to park, cheaper on tires, etc, etc. And honestly, I really like the styling of the brand new F350. Not to mention, my in-laws prefer Ford, and it's their farm. So my #RAM opinion isn't going to hold much purchasing power in this debate.

Here's more food-for-thought. We're not necessarily looking to buy brand new. And only the latest model of Ford has those ultra high ratings. (Secondarily, why the fuck is the GMC 3500 Dually only rated for 23,000lbs, when both the Dodge and the Ford are rated for 30,000lbs? That's a pretty huge discrepancy).

I looked at a few 2016 F350's with somewhere between 50,000-75,000km's and they seem to retail around $64,000 used.

We used build-and-price on the RAM.CA website and were able to spec out a brand new 2018 RAM 3500 Dually Diesel nearly fully loaded for the same price. Came to something like $75,000, but there's "no-charge-diesel" or a $10,500 rebate on right now. So we could get a brand new RAM for the same price as a 2-year-old F350.

I have not yet looked at GM or Ford's websites to see what kind of deals are available from them.

Anyhow, I welcome input.
    Last edited by AudiInProgress; February 13th, 2018 at 02:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

I don't have much to add other than I guarantee that GM and Ford dealers will work with you on pricing to get close to the ram's cost.

With the 2017/2018 Fords is it really a first model year? I mean other than the face lift? Motor still looks like the same 2016 Powerstroke with maybe a tweaked tune to hit the power numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 815 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    I don't have much to add other than I guarantee that GM and Ford dealers will work with you on pricing to get close to the ram's cost.

With the 2017/2018 Fords is it really a first model year? I mean other than the face lift? Motor still looks like the same 2016 Powerstroke with maybe a tweaked tune to hit the power numbers.

There must be other changes to account for the massive increase in tow ratings? I don't know much about the Fords, but it looks like a redesign rather than a face lift? Hopefully somebody else can chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 794 Posts

My friend has a Ram 3500 and it's given him enough problems with the DEF system that he just deleted the entire emission controls system in a fit of rage. Those are only a 60,000km warranty, which is BS.
    I'll confirm his year and update, but I think it's about a 2015.
    His dealership was a fiasco to deal with in all the DEF issues, as well.

Thanks

Personally I don't believe any tow ratings from Ford after their over inflating the hell out of them for decades. If your truck is rated to tow xxxxlbs, the rear tires shouldn't be rubbing the wheel wells when you hook that much up to the truck.

Every manufacturer has issues with their DEF systems. Chances are you'll want to delete that no matter what truck you buy.

In any sense, it mostly boils down to preference. I doubt the Ford will give you much trouble, like anything else out there, but it'll be hard to take that step down in interior finish and quality when you're coming from a Ram. Go sit in one and see what you think for yourself. According to sales numbers, plenty of people can quite happily overlook the cheap feel of interior for the trade off of having trendy nuances like "Sync" and self reversing ability.

The Chevy has come up in quality the last little while to get on par with Dodge. Still not quite there, but a decent vehicle none the less. When dealing with a 1 Ton, you don't have to worry about their garbage transmissions since you'll have the Allison.

The Ram, interior is beautiful and comfortable, which I find important since that's what you see and experience while you drive it. Still lots of complaints from people about front ends in Rams. Personally I'd much prefer just replace my front end parts every 100k, which I can do in the garage pretty easily, as opposed to the issues of the other brands that leave you stranded or spending time at the dealer with no vehicle. More personal preference I suppose, they all have their separate issues.

Thanks

I had a 2013 Dodge 3500 with the diesel and it pulled my 30ft holiday trailer that was 10k lbs like nothing. I didn't delete it because I wanted to keep my warranty, and the only issue I had with it was the recalls that were always coming for it. The mileage on the dodge was unreal empty, and even with the trailer on.

I just bought a 2017 Ford F350 diesel and I will say that it isn't as good on fuel as the Dodge. The ride quality is very nice with the ford, but the dodge wasn't a lumberwagon like previous generations either. So far, I enjoy the Ford but I haven't towed anything yet with it, that'll be in the summer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    There must be other changes to account for the massive increase in tow ratings? I don't know much about the Fords, but it looks like a redesign rather than a face lift? Hopefully somebody else can chime in.
    It is the Aluminum body. All that reduced weight allows for the increase in towing capacity because GVCR has to stay the same for the class of truck, drop the GVWR you can tow more.

Also the new face lift/gen fords have all stepped up their interior, I like the massage feature lol. Personally I find the seats more comfortable (F150 Lariat when compared to a Laramie 1500) but I am a wee lad compared to you.
    Last edited by Delphi; February 13th, 2018 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks

I understand that this will be a towing truck but will it also be a DD for someone?

GM is probably the best riding truck but I also know that the newest F350 is supposed to drive pretty nice.

I find most Ram and Ford trucks have pretty crappy interiors (full of plastic) unless they are fully loaded. And then on that note, the GM interior in a Denali is not as nice as a limited Ram or a F350 Platinum. If that makes sense..

Thanks

Have you considered International? Might be a bit old for you. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.