Performance-shop.com

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1-TON TRUCK opinions/recommendations wanted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 829 Posts

Been doing a lot more research the last couple of days. Even went to test-drive some trucks.

So, first of all, BRAND NEW is out of the question. After spec'ing out new with all 3 dealers, price was between $75,000-$81,000.00 and the budget is $60,000 max.

Also, no, the truck will not be a Daily. It will haul a heavy ass trailer 10-12 times a year and remain parked in the shop the rest of the time. Unless we have to go haul a massive load to the dump or other misc. farm chore.

Our current 2008 Duramax has just over 100k on it, so you get the idea of how little it gets driven.

Right now we're looking at 2015 trucks. The 2016's just haven't quite come down enough in price. 2015 is new enough that it'll still have a couple years warranty, and we're looking at trucks with ~75,000km's on them. So, again, still in warranty, but enough mileage that any major issue should have been found already.

I literally just got back from a test drive in a 2015 F350 Lariat w/ 94K on it, and honestly, I wasn't very impressed with the interior. It looked amazing in the pictures, but up-close it felt extremely cheap. Also, during my test drive, I noticed that the alignment was way off, the brakes weren't very good, there was a massive wheel wobble at highway speeds... And they put 6 brand new cheap chinese no-name winter tires on it to sell it. I walked away feeling utterly un-impressed. I think a slightly lower mileage truck, with proper michelin or BFG tires, and good brakes (re: a vehicle that has been properly maintained) might feel significantly nicer.

*The other issue is, the rear seats of the F350. They have MASSIVE storage bins under the back seats, which are bolted to the seat frame, and it looks like the rear seats are actually supported by the plastic bins. And the storage bins have all kinds of power outlets and other wiring running in, on, around, through them. So being able to fold up the back seats for our 150lb mountain dog is another factor that I hadn't thought about until now. It would not work in the back of the F350 at all. Do they all have this design? I know the RAM has fold-flat load storage which would be perfect for a dog to lay on. What about the GMC?

I have not yet found a #RAM to test drive.

I will be going to look at a 2015 GMC Sierra HD with similar mileage, and similar price, hopefully this afternoon.

I've also done some more research with regards to towing capacity. The GMC's rating of 23,000lbs is actually quite in-line with the rest of the competition. The 30,000lb rating on the Dodge is ONLY when mated to the AISIN transmission, which only *ONE* of the used trucks I've found actually has. And the Ford's rating of 30,000lbs is only when equipped with 4.30 gears or some such. And all the Ford's I've looked at have had 3.73's and are only rated to 23-24,000lbs, just like the Dodge and the GMC. So really, unless I'm factory ordering, or, finding a real gem, no truck that I'll probably look at will be able to handle 30K.

Which is nice. Because I was wondering why the GMC was rated so much lower. But in reality, it's not. They're all around 23K LBS, except under special circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

Just be prepared to the RAM front end to wear out on the big 1 tons. I mean all 3 of the big 3 will wear out but you typically hear about it more with RAM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    Just be prepared to the RAM front end to wear out on the big 1 tons. I mean all 3 of the big 3 will wear out but you typically hear about it more with RAM.
    I'm prepared for that with any 1-ton. Also, I think the bad reputation Dodge got for their front-ends was from the old 2nd gen rams. Or was it the 3rd? The 4th gen's I haven't heard any horror stories. No worse than any other truck with a big ass diesel engine up front.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AudiInProgress For This Useful Post:

Delphi (February 13th, 2018)

Thanks

So. I just got back from test driving a 2015 GMC Sierra 3500. It had the same mileage, and was the same price as the F350 I looked at this morning. But it was at least TWICE as good as the Ford. The interior fit and finish was great compared to the Ford. The seats were way more comfortable. Fully loaded, minus the sun roof, which is a huge plus in my books... As I need the extra headroom. It was quieter inside the cab, and the engine was quieter when observing from outside. The previous owned installed the exact same airbags on it, that I had installed on our 2500HD GMC. So I don't have to do that again. Another bonus. And they're offering a LOT for our trade-in. I left a deposit. Will update later.

Thanks

My brother has a 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Diesel that he would sell for around $64K. It has around 35K kms. It's not a 1 ton, but figured I'd out the shameless for sale plug in here anyways....haha
    Last edited by krmitlovesbacon; February 13th, 2018 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krmitlovesbacon View Post
    My brother has a 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Diesel that he would sell for around $64K. It has around 35K kms. It's not a 1 ton, but figured I'd out the shameless for sale plug in here anyways....haha
    He's not looking for a 3/4 ton. Hell the thread is "1-TON TRUCK"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Delphi For This Useful Post:

AudiInProgress (February 14th, 2018)

Thanks

The GM sounds like a nice truck.. That Ford would definitely feel outdated considering they were at the end of their lifecycle for that truck.

Some people may argue this but from my own experience, seems like GM Duramaxs hold value very well. Especially if they are taken care of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
    He's not looking for a 3/4 ton. Hell the thread is "1-TON TRUCK"
    LOL. For real. And I specifically need a dually.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    LOL. For real. And I specifically need a dually.
    Worth a shot