Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to throw my comp into the north sask :/

Default About to throw my comp into the north sask :/

Oh hello there!

So yes, my 12ish year old desktop HP is really starting to kick the bucket. Boot up is around 10 minutes. 20" Screen is hard to read blue prints. And multitasking is a big fat NO.

Need a bit of help piecing semthing new together, the requirements are pretty much bare minimum.

Things I need it to do:
    -quick books
    -email
    -read pdf
    -small amount of internettting

It's basically a computer for my business, along with the wife doing a bit of schooling on it. No YouTube, no streaming, just want it to work and work quickly.

I need all conponents, keyboard, mouse, hd, and the bigger the Screen the better.

Budget is $500 - 700.

I almost pulled the trigger on this one today, but I'm being told that the all in ones aren't very good?

https://m.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/h...-b009/10440893

Anywho any help is much appreciated!

Audi In Progress will get you a used unit for virtually nothing

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    Audi In Progress will get you a used unit for virtually nothing
    I'm counting on him to chime in!

HP's are crap and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

The fact that your current 12-year-old HP has lasted this long isn't much of an accomplishment... computers from 12 years ago were a lot slow, ran a lot cooler, and didn't die as often. Hell, the same stays true if you go back even longer. I could fire up a 30 year old computer today and I bet it would work fine. Yet there are PC's 2 years old that won't work.

But I digress.

I *ESPECIALLY* would not recommend one of those all-in-one PCs', iMac fucking clones, whatever.

I always have used desktops for sale. I had one sitting around for the past 2 months that I just couldn't move... But it sold just the other day.

I'll see what I can dig up for you. You need Tower/Monitor/Keyboard, everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiInProgress View Post
    HP's are crap and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

The fact that your current 12-year-old HP has lasted this long isn't much of an accomplishment... computers from 12 years ago were a lot slow, ran a lot cooler, and didn't die as often. Hell, the same stays true if you go back even longer. I could fire up a 30 year old computer today and I bet it would work fine. Yet there are PC's 2 years old that won't work.

But I digress.

I *ESPECIALLY* would not recommend one of those all-in-one PCs', iMac fucking clones, whatever.

I always have used desktops for sale. I had one sitting around for the past 2 months that I just couldn't move... But it sold just the other day.

I'll see what I can dig up for you. You need Tower/Monitor/Keyboard, everything?
    Tower and monitor for sure. I don't mind buying a brand new house and keyboard that hasn't been juiced up by a previous owner lol.

But yea throw me some options together!

Your description make me think the IDE (age would make it IDE not SATA) drive is succumbing to a very slow and painful death. Don't even think you can buy new IDE drives anywhere locally at this point to even bother turning it into a web browser machine for a kid or anything like that.
    Model View Caffeine

What are the specs on your current PC?

I found an older (First Generation!) Core i5 system collecting dust at my office. But in my humble opinion, it's probably old enough that it doesn't necessarily qualify as an upgrade for you.

I'm going to keep looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

This work?

AMD Athlon 2 X2 255 processor 3.10ghz
    4GB Ram (3.25 usable)
    32 bit operating system, x64 based processor.
    ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
    Last edited by BrightWhite; March 6th, 2018 at 06:35 PM.

What's the cost to wipe it and throw a proper version of Windows on?

It crashed a few years ago and a buddy fixed it, I have no idea what he did. It's running Windows 10 right now, but If memory serves me right, it was a free upgrade from a previous version?

This thing downloaded and streamed stuff for years with no issues. I'm wondering if it just needs to be wiped...