Wheels Plus

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exploding sunroofs

Thanks

Default Exploding sunroofs

Driving home saturday in those bad conditions just passed dead mans flats / lac des arcs and hear a loud as fuck crack/pop sound...

Nursed it into Calgary with the hazards on doing like 60, fortunately some places were open. Left it at the dealer for now and took the bus home (my head is still attached).

I've started the insurance process but my gut feeling is they wont cover sunroofs, bastards, well see anyway I have a glimmer of hope only.

So was it a rock? I dunno that seems pretty unlikely, and it turns out that sunroofs blowing up on their own is pretty common, plenty of results on google even in canada: https://globalnews.ca/news/3816319/e...nsport-canada/

AND best of all lol there is a class action against VW in cali for this shit, with 2015 gti listed ugh: https://consumerist.com/2017/09/21/v...ously-explode/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 829 Posts

Sunroofs seem to be a lot more hassle than they're worth. They explode, they leak, people forget them open all the time, they drastically reduce headroom, tons of wind noise, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

I love having sunroofs and thankfully I've only ever had it happen to me once, in my RSX a few years ago in the middle of summer. I was behind a lifted truck entering the Henday when I heard what sounded like a rock hitting my windshield but thought nothing of it since I didn't see it. I closed my sunroof a little bit later and then I heard the pop & shatter of the sunroof blowing out. I managed to limp home, duct tape what was left of it together, then got lucky and found a used one I swapped in myself.

Jordan v, 1993 Bmw 32oi

Thanks

Fuck sunroofs. I love not having one, and it would spend over half the year closed in Canada anyways.

Thanks

Love sunroofs especially my Pano on the F150. But yeah every manufacturer has issues with sunroofs past while as they build these cars tighter and tighter. With smaller gaps and clearances all it takes is a bad twist and boom.

Thanks

I hate sunroofs, waste headroom and they are useless. I got my truck specifically without one, the dealership looked at me like I was crazy when I ordered a fully loaded truck without a sunroof.
    #RAM

Cyanide Ride is offline Crotchety old bastard wrapped bastard filled with bastard Moderator
    Thanks

Blame the economy and building towards a budget.

A large number recently were put into consumption even though they failed the tests for safety.

For the most part, they are safe and a quick way to keep the car cool during hot summer months.

I only ever tilt mine open with the shade closed, although newer cars, the process is all automated and the shade retracts regardless of tilt or open.
    When negotiations fail, escalate.
    "... And the complacency of fools will destroy them..." Proverbs 1:32
    "When a bird is alive, it eats ants, when the bird dies, ants will eat the bird.
    Time and circumstance can change at anytime so don't devalue or hurt anyone in life.
    You may be powerful today, but remember, Time is more powerful than you."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyanide Ride For This Useful Post:

pry4sno (March 11th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,270 Times in 829 Posts

I am so glad our new truck came fully loaded EXCEPT sunroof. Perfect.

I mean, if I found the PERFECT vehicle, and it had a sunroof... I wouldn't NOT buy it just because of that. My old 300C had a sunroof. But I barely ever used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLJDM View Post
    Rob with an awesome post as always.

Thanks

With your roof rails.. I would bet that a rock bounced off of the rail and hit the sun roof. Do you have insurance to cover it? There was a guy on beyond that had his GTI sunroof get smashed by a rock and it was 4k to fix.

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/401...ht=gti+sunroof

Also, here is something else that is not talked about often..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/22/b...of-safety.html