First Gear

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self driving cars. Uber accident

Thanks

Default Self driving cars. Uber accident

I have been seeing non-stop headlines about this Uber self driving SUV killing a pedestrian. Everything I see seems to give the impression some poor innocent pedestrian cautiously crossing the road in a crosswalk got creamed by an out of control autonomous car. But the police just released the video of the accident, and maybe I'm nuts? But it certainly does not appear that the video evidence matches the controversy being displayed in the media. A lady who is jaywalking with her bike across a busy street that appears to be a higher speed limit in the 70-80km/hr range, bolts out in front of the Uber vehicle from the shadow of darkness, giving the vehicle no time to react.

Experts seem to be saying that the vehicle should've seen the "pedestrian", and stopped in time. I'll leave that one up to debate. But they seem to be using this accident as a platform to condemn autonomous vehicles as being unsafe, although nobody seems to be asking the important question. "Even if the vehicle should have reacted, would a human driver have been able to react in time?" It seems fairly clear from the video, that any human driver would've smoked that pedestrian brakes untouched. So I'm still not seeing any evidence that autonomous vehicles are unsafe. Any other opinions or ideas on this? Here is a link to the fairly biased CBC article on it which contains the video to watch for yourself.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uber-se...ideo-1.4587439

Thanks

When they looked at the data the auto pilot did not notice the person crossing the road there for it did not try and stop.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    When they looked at the data the auto pilot did not notice the person crossing the road there for it did not try and stop.
    Not sure where you're going with this in regards to the original post?

Thanks

If the robots canít do better than us, then why have them?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
    Not sure where you're going with this in regards to the original post?
    If it didn't notice and it's controlled by a computer capable of virtually instantaneous reaction, there's a problem.
    Your point is still fine about "was it better than a human?" But I'm concerned if it didn't notice something unless it fell from the sky.
    I'll watch the video later.

Thanks

'Robots' are only as good as the people designing them... and they fail with time as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentEVO View Post
    If the robots can’t do better than us, then why have them?
    Convenience
    Increased traffic flow
    Increased human productivity
    Simplifying the auto insurance industry

There is a host of other reasons to have them because they ARE better than humans for virtually every instance despite your glaringly oversimplified statement based on a one off incident. Still you're trying to jump down some rabbit hole that isn't really related to the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    If it didn't notice and it's controlled by a computer capable of virtually instantaneous reaction, there's a problem.
    Your point is still fine about "was it better than a human?" But I'm concerned if it didn't notice something unless it fell from the sky.
    I'll watch the video later.
    Sounds like you're at the same place I was before I saw the video. The video is like 5 seconds, it's worth the quick watch. I'm not a robotics engineer by any means, but I'm just curious how these experts are saying that the car should've seen this random person in the dark darting across the road behind another vehicle travelling the opposite direction? She literally comes out of nowhere and into the beam of the headlights like 1 meter from the car. Even if the car had braked, she'd be dead regardless as the car would've had zero time to slow down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickXeo View Post
    'Robots' are only as good as the people designing them... and they fail with time as well.
    No they're actually quite a bit better. You would have to be extremely ignorant to not acknowledge the massive divide between a computer and a humans ability to do calculations and react.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
    No they're actually quite a bit better. You would have to be extremely ignorant to not acknowledge the massive divide between a computer and a humans ability to do calculations and react.
    But a human programs the computer. A computer can only do what it is 'programmed' to do. There is a reason why computers need updates, patches, fixes, etc.