Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Self driving cars. Uber accident

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickXeo View Post
    But a human programs the computer. A computer can only do what it is 'programmed' to do. There is a reason why computers need updates, patches, fixes, etc.
    The troll life just chooses some people.

that person is a goner even with a human driver.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post
    Convenience
    Increased traffic flow
    Increased human productivity
    Simplifying the auto insurance industry

There is a host of other reasons to have them because they ARE better than humans for virtually every instance despite your glaringly oversimplified statement based on a one off incident. Still you're trying to jump down some rabbit hole that isn't really related to the original post.
    Convenience? Debatable, especially since they don't seem very good at driving yet. They will get better yet, obviously.

Increased traffic flow? Possible, sure. But they intermix with all sorts of other vehicles as well, like human driven cars, trains, streetcars, buses... Doubtful we'd see much a difference in my lifetime, unless we outlaw cars, which we won't.

Increased productivity? If you have to work in your car, I feel sorry for you. That would suck.

Insurance? See above.

Aviation would be the one to take an automation example from... modern jets are of course very automated, or they can be. But aviation has monstrous infrastructure to support that specialty, and cars don't yet. But like JugZ said, even aircraft only do what they're told to do by their pilots. At the end of the day, it's a person (or two) deciding what to program into the autopilot.

Quote Originally Posted by ResidentEVO View Post
    Convenience? Debatable, especially since they don't seem very good at driving yet. They will get better yet, obviously.

Increased traffic flow? Possible, sure. But they intermix with all sorts of other vehicles as well, like human driven cars, trains, streetcars, buses... Doubtful we'd see much a difference in my lifetime, unless we outlaw cars, which we won't.

Increased productivity? If you have to work in your car, I feel sorry for you. That would suck.

Insurance? See above.

Aviation would be the one to take an automation example from... modern jets are of course very automated, or they can be. But aviation has monstrous infrastructure to support that specialty, and cars don't yet. But like JugZ said, even aircraft only do what they're told to do by their pilots. At the end of the day, it's a person (or two) deciding what to program into the autopilot.

I'm not sure if you're Mavericks mirror account? You're trying to debate things that aren't debatable

If you think there is no added convenience to not needing a DD, not having to be well rested for a road trip, not having to know where you're going or need GPS, etc, etc, etc. Then I don't know what to say.

Traffic flow has been endlessly studied. When all vehicles travel at a uniform speed, in the correct lanes, with minimal follow distance, traffic flows better. Period. It's not a debate point.

Who said anything about working in your car? I think you would find most people could be more productive if they had an extra hour of sleep in their car on their commute to and from work. Or an extra hour in bed since you can get your morning routine done in your car. Or a number of other possibilities that become possible with self driving cars.

Insurance becomes simpler when you can no longer have fault associated to anyone. And with the massive decrease in insurance payouts, the prices could go down.

Pretty sure no self driving car is ever going to go on some of the road trips I’ve done.

And yeah, I get traffic flow. If you have 100% self driving pod cars on the road, then yeah it gets better. That’ll never happen, at least not in 100 years.

Your morning routine in your car? What are you gonna do, take a dump and shave in a smart car that drives itself? These aren’t business jets lol.

But there would be fault. Someone will be responsible for accidents, because they will happen.

Pretty sure no self driving car is ever going to go on some of the road trips I’ve done.

And yeah, I get traffic flow. If you have 100% self driving pod cars on the road, then yeah it gets better. That’ll never happen, at least not in 100 years.

Your morning routine in your car? What are you gonna do, take a dump and shave in a smart car that drives itself? These aren’t business jets lol.

But there would be fault. Someone will be responsible for accidents, because they will happen.
    I know you're a Liberal, but are you not still able to take anything outside your own bubble into consideration? I wasn't speaking about conveniences for strictly YOU. If you don't choose to embrace the conveniences on autonomous vehicles(I likely wouldn't either), that's our problem. It doesn't mean the conveniences do not exist.

100% autonomy is not required to see traffic flow benefits. If you took 50% of current traffic and made it follow simple road courtesy rules like proper lane usage, you'd see major traffic flow improvements.

What's wrong with bringing your breakfast to go in the car and eat on the way to work if you don't have to drive?

No, there would not be fault. How do you decide which computer was wrong? Who knows, maybe there will be fault still, and insurance investigators will just be computer engineers that analyze code to see which machine glitched. In any sense, the insurance process becomes very streamlined. And the likelihood is that they would have to transition to a faultless system like Saskatchewan.

Why are you so hell bent on arguing? How many replies are you at now, and you still haven't tied together a post related to the original post? And every argument you're making relies on some extreme version of events to be even half way relevant.
    Last edited by MisterMan; March 24th, 2018 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMan View Post

100% autonomy is not required to see traffic flow benefits. If you took 50% of current traffic and made it follow simple road courtesy rules like proper lane usage, you'd see major traffic flow improvements...
    OK, so who decides that maybe some weiner hole like Maverick gets to define and program "proper lane usage" instead of some sphincter like Viktimize? How do you think that decision gets made and why are you so confident that it'll go a way that you think? Your arguments of "studies prove"?
    Good luck with that. It's most likely that they'll get programmed by someone like Mayor IveTard or Trudeau or whoever has "the nicest hair" of the day. Now you'll have cars automatically deducting ticket fines from owners' Visas and pulling over to take selfies to acknowledge the gender continuum of automobile brands supporting additional gas stations to accommodate gender neutral cars.
    Last edited by JugZ; March 24th, 2018 at 04:54 PM.

I'm not a women but I could see women putting on makeup/ doing hair in a car being a productivity item.
    I do lots of trips to BC and back year round if I could do the trip through the night and sleep the whole drive I would essentially save a day of my trip each way every time.
    I'm sure there are a ton of other examples
    #RAM

Quote Originally Posted by JugZ View Post
    OK, so who decides that maybe some weiner hole like Maverick gets to define and program "proper lane usage" instead of some sphincter like Viktimize? How do you think that decision gets made and why are you so confident that it'll go a way that you think? Your arguments of "studies prove"?
    Good luck with that. It's most likely that they'll get programmed by someone like Mayor IveTard or Trudeau or whoever has "the nicest hair" of the day. Now you'll have cars automatically deducting ticket fines from owners' Visas and pulling over to take selfies to acknowledge the gender continuum of automobile brands supporting additional gas stations to accommodate gender neutral cars.
    It's just a guess that they would be programmed to follow the rules of the road. But I suppose anything could happen.

Anyway, I thought the original content could be some interesting discussion. As with any 780 post, it was dragged into the shitter by the usual suspects. Oh well, worth a shot. Since we are already way off topic, who else is itching to get their summer whip out? I just have to get my stereo wired up and mine is ready to go.