Wheels Plus

Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LF: A reputable home builder

Thanks

Jayman used to be pretty shitty back during the boom -not sure how they are not, but a friend was an architect for them and he even advises against their shit.

I was advised against Pacesetter by friends who work in the trades that helped build some of their houses. I realize that each place can have different contractors so that can't speak on a company as a whole, but it's just something I remember.
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

Thanks

All 4 of them are garbage honestly for different reasons. Qualico owns sterling and pacesetter and a shitload of other builders. Landmark pre assembling panels is a terrible design. The stuff Iíve seen from all 4 is mind blowing. The worst was sterling lifting a house that was only framed to fix the foundation.

At the same time, I would say maybe 5% or less of homes being built are decent, the rest are a pile of shit slapped together. At the end of the day as long as the really important things like foundation, and everything works properly pluming hvac electrical, etc itís not going to vary much between bigger builders in terms of quality. Most use whichever trade is cheapest, there is little concern of quality. I bought 3 specs 1 from a big builder 2 from smaller ones different issues and quality is about the same. As far as a spec being better, there is really no difference. The trades donít give a flying fuck. The advantage to building is being there and watching it like a hawk. Problem is anyone knowledgeable will pull their hair out before itís done because the builder wonít fix most of the stuff.

Honestly my recommendation is either do your best with one of them, or if quality is huge find a place you can buy a lot build yourself or hire someone to help you. You will save a lot and end up with a better product.

Iím in it everyday though considering I work in new construction. I only work for small builders, but Iím pretty much at my breaking point with the BS and considering trying to find a big builder. Some of the little guys who build a few a year might seem better but most are so fucking clueless itís not even funny, and ends up with a shit product too.

One builder Iíve only heard good things about is Ackard, but they only do high end.

Thanks

Even some of the fancy show homes in Summerside Estates that were clearing a full million are not perfect. Not that I could ever afford a home like that but after being frustrated by the super small garages in that area looking at a triple oversized garage is a nice change.
    Model View Caffeine

Thanks

I bought a Parkwood Master Builders home, quality of build is exceptional. Their timeliness on completing the 1yr deficiencies, and seasonal deficiencies leaves something to be desired. Overall, I'd recommend them.

Thanks

Thanks for all the inputs guys!!

Has anyone heard or had any experience with Excel Homes?
    I looked at their show home. It looked pretty well put together. They are a Calgary based company, expanding into Edmonton.

Thanks

Whatever you do, don't go with Hollymoor Homes lol http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-new-1.4481544
    2010 Jeep SRT8 aka Boris / 4G 4Runner (2UZFE) aka Blacky Chan / 2007 CBR600RR (race bike)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the_fornicator For This Useful Post:

ImporTuner (May 26th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ImporTuner View Post

I looked at their show home. It looked pretty well put together. They are a Calgary based company, expanding into Edmonton.
    Quick Google-Fu:

https://www.bbb.org/calgary/business...and-complaints

They aren't BBB accredited which raises flags for me. Any company that wants to seem half asses capable gets BBB accredited. The first page is all negative or neutral -nothing positive.

And I would search to see how they respond to negative reviews:

https://homestars.com/companies/2571...=lowest_first&

Customer:

I have been in the home building industry for over 20 years. The house I bought from Excell/centrex has to be the worst display of craftsmanship I have ever encountered. Brand new driveway completely crumbling . Condensation and ice build up on windows like I've never seen before. Exteriors doors not sealed. All interior doors completely misaligned. Interior stairs have pulled away from wall about 1/2".house has major drafts around all windows and doors. Trades completely not respectful of property eg. Garbage bin placed on my lawn. Garbage all over my lawn. Trades backing onto my lawn to gain access to house next door. No quality control whatsoever. I would completely discourage anyone from purchasing a house from these companies
    Excel response:
    Excel's motto is "If it's not right, we make it right" and I feel we have fixed every single issue that has been raised.
    That's their response paraphrased, "even though you think your place is shit, we think we've done enough so we're good". I would avoid them.
    Last edited by the_fornicator; May 22nd, 2018 at 01:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to the_fornicator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImporTuner View Post

I do. I'm in one. They're fine. There is plenty to be pissed off about, but that's how it is with new home construction. My neighbour is also in an Excel; he's built their last few houses new and confirms that dealing with builders is shitty and Excel is no different.
    They are not as good as Sterling, but in many ways Excel is better and cheaper. Specifically, if you're looking at one of their "certified Green" houses, I'd consider upgrading the windows to triple pane. Aside from that, is the regular, run of the mill bullshit. I feel like I have to threaten to sue to get the dumbest warranty work done, but that's a lot to do with whatever warranty slut they have in your hood.
    My spray foam was shit and that was due to a terrible sub contractor. They nailed the fuck out of some of my siding and it's warping so they argue some BS about the heat and that's fucking garbage, but that's builders.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JugZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In response to the above..

I agree. All builders have their issues. They are in the business of building a nice home for the best price and that usually involves cutting costs/corners. There's always gonna be tons of things to complain about and things that could be done better. It's the same with our home in Ft. Sask. In the end, I think you just gotta realize that it isn't a seamless process and there will always be disputes and issues since the home buyer and the builder have different interests.

The other option is to pay a premium home builder a premium price to give you a premium product but lets face it - none of us here are willing to pay an extra 50-75k for the same house just for a better customer experience.
    But the big difference between a right winger writing for a right wing media source, and left winger writing for a left wing source. Is that everything he wrote here is true and factual, not just somebodies opinion piece that is spinning vague facts to try and support their poorly thought out opinion.
    -Viktimize

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 780rx For This Useful Post:

BrightWhite (May 26th, 2018), ImporTuner (May 26th, 2018)