Interested in Advertising on 780Tuners?  Please contact us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6G72TT Engine dimensions?

Default 6G72TT Engine dimensions?

Instead of doing the typical v8 swap into a 50s truck I'd like to do something a little different and use a V6 turbo (keeping to Dodge or Mitsubishi engine options). I know there are a couple people around that had 3000GT VR-4s and 6G72TT would be a fun candidate. Problem is I have no idea if it is a valid road to go down and if it would remotely even fit in this truck. If someone wouldn't mind sharing some general measurements of the engine/transmission it would be appreciated.
    Model View Caffeine

K24 is an easy fit, and easy to build as a turbo engine with lots of power. Also very easy to source. Just a thought.

If this truck was a Chev/Ford I'd go down a path like that with how common they are just to try to make it different. However the B-Series Dodge/Fargo trucks you just don't see around. You cannot order parts for them from places like LMC trucks where you could order an almost complete 50's Chev or Ford. Last time I went to Rocking August for example I think there were 2 Dodge/Fargos from that era and you could easily loose count of the number of truck from any other brand from the same time period.

I'm going to try to get the original engine running but ~95hp new even after fiddling with it I don't think I'll be able to make it something enjoyable to drive every day. A 6G72TT for example however was also used in things like the Dodge Stealth and even if I got my hands on a Mitsubishi branded version of the engine I'd be able to accumulate the Dodge branded bits and pieces swapping them out.
    Model View Caffeine

Amusingly enough, a fully forged mitsu 4 bolt 6g72 went up for sale in the evo123 fb group... though it carries a 3k euro price tag, so might be a bit much considering our dollar/shipping rates. At any rate, you might be able to ask the person to measure it if you cant find any dimensions online!
    I used to be a plural dog.

What about transmission options? I think that engine almost alys was used for front wheel, all wheel drive applications with a transaxle.
    Originally posted by Wookey
    Im pretty sure Chris has built more, raced/driven more faster cars then 99.9% of the people here. he can be a shit disturber but he brings in good points.

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    What about transmission options? I think that engine almost alys was used for front wheel, all wheel drive applications with a transaxle.
    That is something I have been looking into since posting about the dimensions. It looks like a few people have done things like welding the center diff to force it to be RWD but there have not be a lot of RWD options. Did see something about a Kia Sorento from a certain batch of years having a 6g7X engine and supposedly the transmission from that would potentially work for my intentions. There is definitely more information about 4g63 RWD conversions and the options there are far more plentiful.

Does make me wonder if chopping up a dodge stealth for the front sub frame would work but that is a whole lot of work i'm not sure i'm wanting to go down that path. The few people who have restored these seem to use Dakota frames and shorten them to get a more modern frame.

A pajero is another option for a transmission but find those here in Canada in super unlikely and importing one just for that would kinda hurt the overall budget and it may not bolt up to the DOHC version of the engine. Not sure if it is any different in the transmission area.
    Last edited by Izerous; July 11th, 2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Model View Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by Izerous View Post
    That is something I have been looking into since posting about the dimensions. It looks like a few people have done things like welding the center diff to force it to be RWD but there have not be a lot of RWD options. Did see something about a Kia Sorento from a certain batch of years having a 6g7X engine and supposedly the transmission from that would potentially work for my intentions. There is definitely more information about 4g63 RWD conversions and the options there are far more plentiful.

Does make me wonder if chopping up a dodge stealth for the front sub frame would work but that is a whole lot of work i'm not sure i'm wanting to go down that path. The few people who have restored these seem to use Dakota frames and shorten them to get a more modern frame.

A pajero is another option for a transmission but find those here in Canada in super unlikely and importing one just for that would kinda hurt the overall budget and it may not bolt up to the DOHC version of the engine. Not sure if it is any different in the transmission area.
    I Would just pick a RWD transmission for your use, then get a simple bellhousing adapter mocked up in CAD by someone halfway competent on the program. Then go get it milled for a few hundred bucks.

20180713_184202.jpg

Rig a battery, find a fuel line to run to a jerry can and change oil with new filter and this thing might actaully turn over. Still dont see it staying in this.
    Last edited by Izerous; July 13th, 2018 at 07:09 PM.
    Model View Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    What about transmission options?
    More digging into transmission options and availability price etc making one of these RWD just isn't practical for my use. Shop down in the states Grenade Motorworks in short takes a 04-09 durangos (hemi awd) and in short does body swaps with things like early 50s internationals. The few videos the interiors are of Roadkill quality at best but that seems to be more finish work than anything. Would get me to a drivable ratrod-ish state while I work on the rest of the body etc. Those generations of Durago's don't appear to be that expensive and semi plentiful around here.
    Model View Caffeine